Community improvement priority.

Community improvement priority poll  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Please select which features or improvements you would like to see implemented as your top priority.

• Running order in career and custom championships.
    • Additional FFB effects.
    • Racenet connectivity.
    • Visual effects improvements such as water, weather etc.
    • Multiplayer lobby customisation (human only races etc).
    • Clubs/leagues.
    • Handling improvements (tarmac).
    • Improved Ai balancing.
    • Additional customisation options in career (hardcore damage etc)
    • Better time of day/weather selection.
    • Audio fx (cut outs etc)
    • Other (please highlight in comments)
    • Communication (as in general increase from codemasters)
    • Graphical issues (console specific blurryness etc)

4 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

Maybe, but since I posted that 16 hours ago the vote to fix FFB has become an even stronger leader, 4 points clear of the next two in line. Codemasters needs to address it NOW. It's a driving game... having wheels not working properly is a serious problem. Many, like me, have shelved the game until it is resolved - particularly annoying as I paid for the deluxe edition and was looking forward to enjoying all the content as it released. At this stage it looks like we may be through Season 1 before I can even start to enjoy the game.

You're talking like it has some insurmountable lead and is blowing everything out of the water. It isn't. It's a handful of votes ahead of some others, which means while people want better FFB it clearly isn't the only issue people have and clearly isn't dramatically higher prioritized by the community. 

Codies has addressed this issue, and sitting here yelling "they need to address it NOW" makes you sound like an entitled little ****. They have been communicating about the issue, they have a team working on it, we all know these things, but some people still feel the need to whine and complain like it's the end of the world for everyone because of an issue some people are having. Yes, FFB needs some work, but complaining in the way you do only hurts your cause more than anything else.

• Agree 6

I'd like better optimisation to cure framerate in Poland. OK, so I only have a 1050Ti but have tuned by settings to get something that looks good and holds 60fps on all other stages (well, apart from a short woody bit at night in NZ). No matter what GPU you have if you go for the best quality it can handle in most stages you're going to get frame rate drop in Poland. If that's too hard perhaps we could have graphics profiles so I can set a lower one just for that stage!

Realistic damage, or at least more realistic than it is. I don't care about the visual effect but looking after the car is part of rally. In RBR or SLRE you know when you've damaged suspension or steering and then have the challenge of trying to make it to the next service with a badly handling car. In this game hitting a barrier at 120Mph, flipping over it and rolling down the hillside until a tree stops you might cause a puncture.

Yes, it'd be nice to have better FFB but can live with what we have

I'd like something similar to the old DR1 events - where sometimes the daily was an owners club or a hidden wager event, otherwise I just drive the same cars. Where the weekly 2 event was generally tougher that the weekly 1. That would fit nicely with the damage model - so a weekly 2 has realistic damage, is a bit longer and the service intervals are far enough apart to make tyre choice important

1 minute ago, Mike Dee said:

You're talking like it has some insurmountable lead and is blowing everything out of the water. It isn't. It's a handful of votes ahead of some others, which means while people want better FFB it clearly isn't the only issue people have and clearly isn't dramatically higher prioritized by the community. 

Codies has addressed this issue, and sitting here yelling "they need to address it NOW" makes you sound like an entitled little ****. They have been communicating about the issue, they have a team working on it, we all know these things, but some people still feel the need to whine and complain like it's the end of the world for everyone because of an issue some people are having. Yes, FFB needs some work, but complaining in the way you do only hurts your cause more than anything else.

Ok.

a) This is a poll designed to highlight priority. The FFB issue is a clear number 1. I don't know how I can make that any clearer.

b) My point is, and remains, that Codemasters have and continue to gloss over the issue as if it's not a significant problem. Their "addressing" of the problem as you put it, is to effectively throw PR BS at us. There hasn't been a single technical update, nor comment from any of the actual dev team on the issue. There isn't a decent reason why a hot fix at least attempting to improve the situation hasn't been rolled out. Do you believe all the PR dribble you read?

c) Am I entitled. If you bought the game so are you. Why is that a problem? Why are you lecturing me - a fellow consumer, and defending them - the company that has under delivered?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

Ok.

a) This is a poll designed to highlight priority. The FFB issue is a clear number 1. I don't know how I can make that any clearer.

b) My point is, and remains, that Codemasters have and continue to gloss over the issue as if it's not a significant problem. Their "addressing" of the problem as you put it, is to effectively throw PR BS at us. There hasn't been a single technical update, nor comment from any of the actual dev team on the issue. There isn't a decent reason why a hot fix at least attempting to improve the situation hasn't been rolled out. Do you believe all the PR dribble you read?

c) Am I entitled. If you bought the game so are you. Why is that a problem? Why are you lecturing me - a fellow consumer, and defending them - the company that has under delivered?

1. Yes it’s the number one issue, the point was you’re greatly exaggerating how much of a lead it has. 

2. They have addressed the problem, they are addressing it. They’re working on it right now. They’re well within their rights to just give us information filtered through PR, and you sound like a whiny child by demanding more. They’re under no obligation to have devs waste their time trying to appease you with technical details. Asking for a hotfix when you have no idea how anything works behind the scenes and in the game code is just ignorant. The FFB is adequate as it is, for most people.

3. Dear god listen to yourself. Nobody’s defending the company, we’re defending the notion of reason and sense. It’s incredibly immature to believe everything is all so simple and why isn’t it fixed NOW and blah blah blah. Doing things properly takes time, be patient. Maybe try to enjoy the game for what’s good about it rather than unhealthily fixating on all the negatives.

Edited by afahoy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Oh good, another fan boi to the rescue.

3 minutes ago, afahoy said:

you’re greatly exaggerating how much of a lead it has. 

they have addressed the problem

they are addressing it

they’re working on it right now

they’re well within their rights to just give us information filtered through PR

you sound like a whiny child by demanding more

they’re under no obligation to have devs waste their time trying to appease you with technical details

you have no idea how anything works behind the scenes

3 minutes ago, afahoy said:

Nobody’s defending the company

LOL.

Why do people even need to use such divisive 'codies/them vs. consumer/customer/us' rhetoric? I don't get it. We the consumers do not need to team up against the 'evil' game devs. Why can't you have a constructive and respectful 'dialogue'? Anything else is just childish. 

• Like 1

It's true. In our experience (as very regular community members) we've received far more information through friendly conversation with developers than is often offered up in 'official statements' and responses to complaints.

This poll is specifically to hear your voice though. It's not about who can slag off who, it's about getting a very clear picture to then submit to codemasters for a thorough response (which im sure we will get)

We put in the work here collecting data, and codemasters will, I'm sure, respond to it.

And I understand people don't like the vague responses from codemasters sometimes, however that is simply all that Christina is permitted to say, as things are obviously being worked.

I'm confident we will get a comprehensive answer to issues if we submit a comprehensive request, for what, at the moment at least, has about 600 'signatures'.

So maybe if you wish to highlight the issue more, share the poll with other dr2 players that may not yet be active. Steam communities or whatever. The more people who count their vote, the clearer the picture we will have.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, richie said:

Why do people even need to use such divisive 'codies/them vs. consumer/customer/us' rhetoric? I don't get it. We the consumers do not need to team up against the 'evil' game devs. Why can't you have a constructive and respectful 'dialogue'? Anything else is just childish. 

1 minute ago, Rallystu2 said:

It's true. In our experience (as very regular community members) we've received far more information through friendly conversation with developers than is often offered up in 'official statements' and responses to complaints.

I've been here a long time too fellas. On CM forums (the old one and this) from F1 2010 to now. All the ups and all the downs, all the staff changes, and all the promises, and all the lies, all the unpatched issues, all the new press releases and all the hype.

I was a day one backer of Dirt Rally early access on PC, and in that context I was very excited to "have a constructive and respectful dialogue". The difference there was that CM actually dialogued back. The development team.

The difference here is that 'they' - CM - are demonstrating the standoff behavior I have seen countless times before. We're already 5 weeks post release and I can't see a resolution to this for several weeks to come (if we're lucky). If you think having borked FFB in a driving game for 2 months post release of a retail full price (not early access) title is ok - well maybe we just have different expectations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JesseDeya said:

I've been here a long time too fellas. On CM forums (the old one and this) from F1 2010 to now. All the ups and all the downs, all the staff changes, and all the promises, and all the lies, all the unpatched issues, all the new press releases and all the hype.

I was a day one backer of Dirt Rally early access on PC, and in that context I was very excited to "have a constructive and respectful dialogue". The difference there was that CM actually dialogued back. The development team.

The difference here is that 'they' - CM - are demonstrating the standoff behavior I have seen countless times before. We're already 5 weeks post release and I can't see a resolution to this for several weeks to come (if we're lucky). If you think having borked FFB in a driving game for 2 months post release of a retail full price (not early access) title is ok - well maybe we just have different expectations.

I understand your frustration, what I don't understand however, is your persistence. All you seem to be saying is that codemasters won't listen to us. Then I ask you this; why keep posting about it?

All I'm trying to to do is dig through all the negative, and ultimately ineffective and largely pointless complaints, and find a constructive, definitive solution. 

I'm pretty happy with the ffb, but I'll still in a sense fight a corner if it's what the majority want implemented. But it has to be clear and concise. It's fine saying what you think is broken, but through sifting through all of the posts (I have done) I don't see that even all of the people complaining agree with what would work better. 

Some people appear to want a constant vibration on gravel, which in my opinion would destroy the great SAT we have. Other people say they want more 'detail' which would appear to involve a grand re working of the environments themselves (I don't know how the tech actually works)

The fact is, the only thing people can agree on is they want more from the ffb in many different ways. It's time then to start dialling in on exactly what it is that would work for everyone. The constant noise on the forums is not constructive and is not taking the issue to any sort of conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

There is an expression in English: The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Look, I see from your profile you've been here 2 minutes - so you're probably going to have to learn the hard way - Codemasters will dissappoint you. All you can do is rally (excuse the pun) around the issues that are most important in order to try and get them patched before they move on to the next title.

I want FFB fixed in this game, many share my views. When they start making some, nay ANY progress, I'll slow my persistent complaint down.

BTW, there has been some very good analysis done on the issues with FFB, both here and on Reddit. If Codemasters were paying attention they might be able to learn something.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

I've used the forums since way back in dr1 days. Only been active since last year but that's besides the point.

I'm trying to unify the community for what is a common goal.

You are just......well I dunno what your aim is. But with your vast experience I'd advise you to put together a package of what the ffb in your opinion should look like.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rallystu2 said:

Some people appear to want a constant vibration on gravel, which in my opinion would destroy the great SAT we have. Other people say they want more 'detail' which would appear to involve a grand re working of the environments themselves (I don't know how the tech actually works)

Strangely enough, if you have some Fanatec wheels, there is pretty much constant vibration on the wheels based on speed and gravel conditions. it is done through the vibration motor not the main axis motor.  🙂 

General comment on the argument in above posts:

And why has THIS poll devolved into some big argument, I would understand if someone complained that not all issues are listed, okay.  But to complain about something that is already on there , confusing.  Sorry to say but to developers and even management a poll will speak for itself, no need to freak out in the comments.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DieselPoweredJo said:

Where abouts is this?

Here 

3 hours ago, afahoy said:

The two effects are greyed out because, as I’ve said in various threads, they’re for gamepads:

dr2-ffb-xbone.jpg

“Engine” wasn’t even an option in DR1, FWIW, and “Tyre Slip” just made the wheel stiffen up if your rear wheels were spinning with no traction. It only ever had much of an effect from a standing start; during a stage it basically did nothing. Furthermore, having the wheel go stiff when the rear wheels lose traction just competes with SAT, which does the opposite but for the front wheels.

Thanks for the info about the two greyed out options. Still the FFB from the road is missing, thought that fact is connected to the greyed out options.

So why did the FFB from the road, which DR1 has, not got implemented into DR2? Or is that fact depending on the wheel used? Since my wheel is not officialy supported anymore...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

Ok.

People aren't defending any issues with FFB (and yes there are some, to what degree is hard to say), people are defending the company from statements that clearly are false like yours.  Codemasters have acknowledged the issue and have said a few times that they are taking the feedback seriously and that it is being investigated.  if you're told that as a customer you should partake in polls and normal discussions but not keep freaking out that it's not instantly fixed.  Because it's not reasonable, and also because it's not really required.  You are more likely to discourage actual programmers if they happen to (which is rare) come across this thread with such comments rather than gain anything.   Your past experiences with CM and other companies may be fair descriptions, but you have to also use your imagination and think : "what can a developer reasonably do to improve a complex technology and how would they communicate if they had every intention of doing so, and were working on it?"

Then you would see that the answer is exactly what is happening.  Their community rep is stating in more than one instance/location that the issue is being investigated and by which team.  It's a little bit of paranoia reaction that you're having TBH. 

This is not a biased poll, it may not be a PERFECT poll but it's not specifically biased.  Let it do it's work.

Edited by bn880
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, zombienation said:

So why did the FFB from the road, which DR1 has, not got implemented into DR2? Or is that fact depending on the wheel used? Since my wheel is not officialy supported anymore...

Only CM devs know that, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s some combination of:

1. Deliberate design choice.

2. It’s much more difficult (ie expensive/time-consuming) to implement in DR2 because of the way it would need to interact with the stage degradation and updates physics. Maybe there just wasn’t time or budget available to do it the way they wanted.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

One thing which isn't in the poll and isn't a big issue, more an annoyance is the dr2 update process in steam.

It moves all gamefiles to the steam/dl folder, not just the ones being updated.

Happened twice to me, that steam stopped the dl because of insufficient disk space, although it said 9,6gig in the steam dl window and i had 20g free.

Clearing up 60+ gig every update for a 200mb-10gig patch nervt bigtime.

Edited by Grindmuz
Wanted to delete the post, because it doesn't belong here.But i can't find the thrashbin.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Grindmuz said:

One thing which isn't in the poll and isn't a big issue, more an annoyance is the dr2 update process in steam.

It moves all gamefiles to the steam/dl folder, not just the ones being updated.

Happened twice to me, that steam stopped the dl because of insufficient disk space, although it said 9,6gig in the steam dl window and i had 20g free.

Clearing up 60+ gig every update for a 200mb-10gig patch nervt bigtime.

It does belong here. There may be lots of little annoyances which can be mentioned in comments here, and voted in the 'other' section. I'll take note of all individual issues and mention them as such in a feedback post.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, afahoy said:

2. It’s much more difficult (ie expensive/time-consuming) to implement in DR2 because of the way it would need to interact with the stage degradation and updates physics. Maybe there just wasn’t time or budget available to do it the way they wanted.

lol, I'm thinking like 99% option 2. smallish studio, gotta make choices i guess. 

I'm sure they would like to work 3 years and come out with easily the best rally game of all time. I think they are capable of it. But they need to eat and stuff, and that means releasing games in a tighter timeframe.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, afahoy said:

3 hours ago, ianism said:

lol, I'm thinking like 99% option 2. smallish studio, gotta make choices i guess. 

I'm sure they would like to work 3 years and come out with easily the best rally game of all time. I think they are capable of it. But they need to eat and stuff, and that means releasing games in a tighter timeframe.

if so, then why didnt got back to the path and releasing it in "early access phase" as they did with DR1? actually we get misused as beta testers, and i for myself feel a bit fooled since paying the deluxe ed and getting an even reduced DR1 version. if you are not capable to create the game as fast, no problem, dont do and announce it as fast. Why couldn´t they simply keep to the DR1-FFB? So many months of evolving that with the active community... and now what - throwing all that over board? A concrete feedback from CM would be nice and going on with it to get much more transperancy whats really going on...

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, zombie_nation said:

if so, then why didnt got back to the path and releasing it in "early access phase" as they did with DR1? actually we get misused as beta testers, and i for myself feel a bit fooled since paying the deluxe ed and getting an even reduced DR1 version. if you are not capable to create the game as fast, no problem, dont do and announce it as fast. Why couldn´t they simply keep to the DR1-FFB? So many months of evolving that with the active community... and now what - throwing all that over board? A concrete feedback from CM would be nice and going on with it to get much more transperancy whats really going on...

I'm sure there are more reasons than this, but the one I can think of just off the top of my head is that you lose console sales that way, since you can't release a game like that on consoles. they count for a lot of $

keeping DR1 FFB means keeping the same car physics and track surface physics, which are nowhere near as good as DR2. if you would prefer a game that is the same thing as DR1 but with different locations, then fine, but I wouldn't pay for that. DR2 is a HUGE step up in terms of car control and surfaces. even though the tarmac isn't great, it's still better than the old games.

the rest i agree with 🙂

• Agree 2

Yea and I imagine surface degradation has a role to play in ffb too. I'm sure a change will come soon though. 

9 hours ago, ianism said:

I'm sure there are more reasons than this, but the one I can think of just off the top of my head is that you lose console sales that way, since you can't release a game like that on consoles. they count for a lot of $

Except you can.

Two of the biggest games in the world came to console in early access PUBG and Fortnite.

9 hours ago, ianism said:

keeping DR1 FFB means keeping the same car physics and track surface physics, which are nowhere near as good as DR2. if you would prefer a game that is the same thing as DR1 but with different locations, then fine, but I wouldn't pay for that. DR2 is a HUGE step up in terms of car control and surfaces. even though the tarmac isn't great, it's still better than the old games.

the rest i agree with 🙂

I don't think people are talking about keeping the exact lines of code from DR 1.0, rather they mean the feel (ie: feedback via force) needn't have changed between titles. How Codemasters chose to make that happen is up to them (they are the masters of code after all). What people like me object to is DR 2.0 FFB feeling dead and lifeless - why on Earth did they think that was what people would want?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JesseDeya said:

Except you can.

Two of the biggest games in the world came to console in early access PUBG and Fortnite.

I don't think people are talking about keeping the exact lines of code from DR 1.0, rather they mean the feel (ie: feedback via force) needn't have changed between titles. How Codemasters chose to make that happen is up to them (they are the masters of code after all). What people like me object to is DR 2.0 FFB feeling dead and lifeless - why on Earth did they think that was what people would want?

look, I'm taking shots in the dark here. clearly this was talked about and they made what they thought would be the best decision. maybe that was right, maybe not. either way, I think it's worth pointing out that CM doesn't have anywhere near the financial backing of those two games, and I'm willing to bet you need to pay Microsoft a fair bit to do early access on the XB.

maybe they ran out of development time. it's not easy to replicate the ffb from one title to another, especially one on loose surfaces, and especially one with such a different road feel. if it was easy, don't you think they would have fixed it by now? it's been 6 weeks since the game came out. it is always easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight. 

Edited by ianism

9 minutes ago, ianism said:

look, I'm taking shots in the dark here. clearly this was talked about and they made what they thought would be the best decision. maybe that was right, maybe not. either way, I think it's worth pointing out that CM doesn't have anywhere near the financial backing of those two games, and I'm willing to bet you need to pay Microsoft a fair bit to do early access on the XB.

maybe they ran out of development time. it's not easy to replicate the ffb from one title to another, especially one on loose surfaces, and especially one with such a different road feel. if it was easy, don't you think they would have fixed it by now? it's been 6 weeks since the game came out. it is always easy to criticize with the benefit of hindsight. 

You really don't have to scramble around in the mud looking for excuses for CM, that's their job. To be fair though, there are a handful of you here doing a much better job than they are.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2