One area of concern for me is how disconnects are being managed. My PC just BSOD on the first stage of the NZ weekly, and after restarting and loading back into the event I'm dumped on Stage 2 with a ten minute penalty. Really?? There's not a lot of point in continuing with the event. Maybe if I could easily compare stage times through a Crest alternative I might be motivated to continue....

I really hope when Clubs drops that event organisers are able to choose how disconnects are managed in their events.... Otherwise those of us without rock solid stable PCs will be at the mercy of fate.

DR managed this perfectly fine. I'd rather re-run several stages than be out of the event immediately due to a massive time penalty!!

• Like 1

Hmm, this stage isn’t going so well, be a real shame if my PC “crashed” right now and I had to do the stage again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, afahoy said:

Hmm, this stage isn’t going so well, be a real shame if my PC “crashed” right now and I had to do the stage again.

Yea... I'd rather accept a small subset of people will be working the system, than have my event ruined because my PC BSOD. What's worse - a few dishonest people gaining a few places, or a few honest people coming last cause their PC isn't stable??

It completely voids the time investment in Monthly and Clubs events.

8 minutes ago, pigloaf said:

a few dishonest people gaining a few places,

This is worse, in my opinion at least. Because this isn't a "small" subset of people, this is a very large subset of people to the point leagues I have been in for DR1 created dedicated websites to track these reset-happy players during a league event. Literally tapped into the Codies API to automatically scrape the data and post anyone who was caught resetting their events during the league. It wasn't as egregious as half the league doing it, but I would say we saw 10-20 people attempt it every event out of our ~150 drivers - or a very rough 10% of the playerbase was abusing disconnects to compete in online events.

That is the problem. The impact of letting d/c players reset their progress like this is monumentally bad for the competitive scene. If you're BSOD'ing enough to have these time penalties become a consistent factor in your events - fix your damn PC. I understand being mad about it costing you time for a one off issue because most people would be justifiably mad. But if you are worried about it every single week/month you do these events the problem isn't the Community Event system, the problem is with your system at home.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

This is worse, in my opinion at least. Because this isn't a "small" subset of people, this is a very large subset of people to the point leagues I have been in for DR1 created dedicated websites to track these reset-happy players during a league event. Literally tapped into the Codies API to automatically scrape the data and post anyone who was caught resetting their events during the league. It wasn't as egregious as half the league doing it, but I would say we saw 10-20 people attempt it every event out of our ~150 drivers - or a very rough 10% of the playerbase was abusing disconnects to compete in online events.

That is the problem. The impact of letting d/c players reset their progress like this is monumentally bad for the competitive scene. If you're BSOD'ing enough to have these time penalties become a consistent factor in your events - fix your damn PC. I understand being mad about it costing you time for a one off issue because most people would be justifiably mad. But if you are worried about it every single week/month you do these events the problem isn't the Community Event system, the problem is with your system at home.

Oh I just need to fix my damn PC! I didn't realise it was that simple, thanks! 👍

It's not happening every single weekly / monthly - but over the course of a 20-stage, 6 location event like the RDRC a BSOD or game crash is bound to happen to a lot of users more than once. With a 10 minute penalty - that's enough to take you / your team out of a title race. 

For clubs, providing event organisers more visibility / control over whether these penalties are applied is better than enforcing a blanket 10 minute penalty.

Edited by pigloaf

Posted (edited)

An example of how this could be managed without a blanket 10 minute penalty for clubs:

Revert to the DR approach - if you disconnect, you are forced to resume from the last checkpoint set by the organisers.

• Re-run times should be highlighted on event tables - so event organisers (at least) can see that a time wasn't original and has been re-run. 
  • Provide event organisers with the simple ability to disqualify individuals from the event / championship.

It's then my responsibility as a participant to provide evidence of that crash - a simple exercise of flicking through a crash report. 

This provides event organisers the flexibility to make a judgement call, as appropriate to the event they're running. 

Edited by pigloaf

While I can see that being OK for clubs and stuff (and I would actually welcome it), I don't see that as viable for Online Community Events. Codies isn't going to have someone sitting there monitoring everything reviewing crash reports to approve times. So the sensible thing to default to on that is a flat time penalty that everyone understands up front. If you aren't confident you can race and event without crashing... don't race the event and work on figuring out why you are crashing. If you're worried about your internet going out or being spotty/slow, I feel bad for you - that is a ****** thing you probably don't have too much control over. Unfortunately online competitive events require a decent connection, so either gamble and take the penalty if it happens or stick to My Team/historic/time trials.

• Agree 1

Yea it would be a Club only solution but that's fine from my point of view. 

I'm willing to accept the risk for Monthly online events, as all I'm going to lose is a few credits - there's a lot more investment in community run Club events personally. 

• Agree 1