HDR brightness?

Is this a issue that is currently being looked into? I have a Xbox one x and a LG oled tv, I’ve never had a issue with hdr games but on dirt rally 2 it seems that going through shaded areas are way too dark and the track is almost pitch black, even sitting on the start line in somewhere like Australia on a clear sunny day and I can barely see the dashboard let alone the dials, if I disable hdr then all is well.

• Agree 2

This is a Xbox bug I think. The Xbox often shades blacks way too much. Check out digital foundry's Metro Exodus video.

Maybe your right but I’ve never noticed anything like this on other hdr games

Brights are arguably too bright (bloom), and the darks are ink. HDR should utilize a greater degree of ‘steps’ in the colour band. For some reason, this game spectumizes too much. Playing on XboxOne X as well so I feel your pain.

5 hours ago, andmcq said:

This is a Xbox bug I think. The Xbox often shades blacks way too much. Check out digital foundry's Metro Exodus video.

No, this same issue is also with PS4@HDR
Driving with closed eyes is pretty annoying.
Glare effect is extravagant.

USA and NZ dark shadows (which car headlight do not light) are mentioned at 1.2 bug list but maby there should be also mention it´s worst with HDR.

Well that sucks. I play this on PC so can't comment from personal experience.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, andmcq said:

Well that sucks. I play this on PC so can't comment from personal experience.

We had both X1X and PC versions in the house and the difference between the two (three year old PC / default settings / appx 65fps) is quite staggering so I fully understand why you can't comment.

I also discovered that fully disabling HDR on my X1X and (amongst other things) increasing the gamma on my TV does make a difference, but because this was a general setting it also meant I was increasing brightness throughout all weather cycles. So, with certain daylight clcles / conditions being way too bright to start with, unless I was were prepared to pause the game at the beginning of each specific rally and tweak TV settings accordingly there isn't actually a means to create that happy medium.

The problem I had was that because I had by hook and by crook managed to promote myself to 'elite' in career mode I was in a position where the AI were as good as (and better than) me, so in all scenarios and under all conditions I really did need to see where I was going. Due to difficulties in being able to achieve that I found myself pausing the game and accessing my TV way, way too frequently and it got to the point where to avoid epic frustration (and career failure) I had to call it a day and sell my DR2 copy whilst it still had a value.  

Hopefully though this issue will at some point be fully addressed so everyone can appriciate the game (regardless of format) in a way that Codemasters intended them to do so - and of course I can rebuy a copy of the game.

One final point of mention. Zaccaria Pinball ('free' to play) has been released on XB1 this week and I invite Codemasters (or indeed anyone) to check out the comprehensive graphics and lighting settings available for the user to tweak to his/her desired preference. If only....

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_

It would be nice if Codemasters would at least acknowledge the issue.

20 minutes ago, Evo8uk said:

It would be nice if Codemasters would at least acknowledge the issue.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, ChristinaMc said:

We're reading them! We're reading everything.

• Haha 1

HDR was an after thought, A single brightness slider is not enough and not how HDR works. We need a Peak Luminance settting and a brightness setting. Right now the picture is insanely dull the way Codies have implemented HDR. I also doubt they will fix it due to it being an after thought.  

33 minutes ago, SimFunny said:

I never doubted that Codemasters read everything on here but unless they acknowledge a problem a fix will never come.

At the absolute very least I hope they give us a option to disable hdr within the game rather than having to do it on a system level on the Xbox, hopefully it can be resolved though

Overall I like more HDR than SDR even if there are some problems with it, like those totally lightless shadows and too bright glare.
Wet road at sunrise seems pretty nice.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Evo8uk said:

At the absolute very least I hope they give us a option to disable hdr within the game rather than having to do it on a system level on the Xbox, hopefully it can be resolved though

HDR still looks better than non HDR as the colours are much more realistic. When you go back to non HDR it's like a cartoon. 

I completely agree about the colours in hdr looking more realistic and I really hope the problem is fixed because the game looks fantastic.

With Xbox One X you can capture screenshots and video with 4k@HDR. (PS4 only 720p@SDR)
There is few DR2 HDR videos at Youtube but not any where you actually can see this problem.
Maby you could capture one pitch dark scene just to proof what are we talking about.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:16 PM, Evo8uk said:

...going through shaded areas are way too dark and the track is almost pitch black...

Check your videolevel setting when you are at HDR.
I feel really stupid to say that I got it wrong somehow, had PS4@RBG Automatic and TV@Black level Low :classic_blush:
It crushed shadow detail.
Turned it Full&High (or Limited&Low or Automatic&High) and it´s totally different!

Now it´s so more easier to drive also at night stages when you can see road even without headlights (clear weather) 🌝

I have my Xbox set to standard colour space which is recommended and tv black level set to low which is also recommended, these settings work perfectly for all games both sdr and hdr,I’m confident the issue is the game and not anything to do with settings

Okay, I got it right and tested it at NZ stages where sunrise caused before that excatly same pitch dark shadow problem, no more.

3 hours ago, SimFunny said:

Check your videolevel setting when you are at HDR.
I feel really stupid to say that I got it wrong somehow, had PS4@RBG Automatic and TV@Black level Low :classic_blush:
It crushed shadow detail.
Turned it Full&High (or Limited&Low or Automatic&High) and it´s totally different!

Now it´s so more easier to drive also at night stages when you can see road even without headlights (clear weather) 🌝

Sorry Sim but thats not the way to setup your tv and PS4. What your doing is completely washing the picture out.

PS4 Should be automatic and tv black level should be Low. (Full setting is for PC monitors)

What you want to do is set the brightness level in game to 1.00. If you play other titles look how washed out everything is with your current settings.

Hopefully this coming patch will have proper HDR settings in game but right now setting brightness in game to 1.00 with tv n ps4 setup properly is the best picture you can get.

Posted (edited)

Don´t think so, tried all those three combinations and all those acts same way without black crush.
Limited and low, full and high, automatic and high.
If you´re SDR then Automatic and high will raise MLL.
btw, moved that HDR slider back to 0.5 at game and it still look right.

Fu** this is sometimes so confusing...
I´ll change it to limited and low, will keep it like that no matter SDR or HDR.
If there is 0-255 then it will be converted to 16-235 which should look just same what Google says.

Edited by SimFunny

Couldn't agree more on xbox one x. I've adjusted brightness and contrast and all sorts on my tvbecause the default setting is awful. Was this game even tested before release? 

I know and Codemasters should really acknowledge the issue as it’s so blatantly obvious it’s not like a bug that they can have difficulty recreating, just look at the pitch black dashboard!!

With Xbox have you tried to set it "PC RGB" and from TV black level High when you´re at HDR mode?
(Maby that works only with 1080p)
It looks same?
Standard and Low should work but maby you could try it.

Modern TV´s act like monitors, so saying "PC RGB" or "Full" is only for monitors is out of date.

In the end I changed video level setting to Limited@PS4 and Low@LG OLED TV (again, this looks exactly same as Full@PS4 and High@TV).
Looks great and no pitch black dashboards or shadows.

I have tried it just to see and it makes no difference in hdr mode, setting the Xbox to full rgb and the tv to high only affects non hdr but it’s not the right thing to do especially if you then was to watch a blu ray or other media as it throws the black levels off.

• Like 1