Sign in to follow this  

The Place You Live

But it's okay Alonso, cause you're got an irish accent which is the best accent in the world. ;)

I've always found the Lancashire accent to be the best. There's a reason I love Bumble and Freddie Flintoff.
The majority of my family are from Lancashire, I even lived there for a few years growing up. Still think it's the best? ;)

My dad's from Lancashire, I went to school in Lancashire, but I live in Cumbria, the county to the north. I'd go out and take a few pictures if it wasn't raining. It does that a lot...

My dad's from Lancashire, I went to school in Lancashire, but I live in Cumbria, the county to the north. I'd go out and take a few pictures if it wasn't raining. It does that a lot...
I was actually born in Cumbria myself :p 

Fist off... This is easily one of the best threads on the forum, I figured the place where I actually live is rubbish and thought it might be interesting telling you about where Codemasters is.

Southam is a tiny market town in Warwickshire, if any of you have seen the movie Hot Fuzz it's basically that.

I'm not joking, the headline on the local paper once read "Gang of Youths Slash Compost Bags"

Back in the medieval era the town had its own currency because regular English currency was too high in value. During the English Civil War Charles the 1st used it to make coins to pay his troops. This important and historical building is now a pub.

Locals also claim that the very first battle of the English Civil war took place here on the 23rd August 1642, each year around the same time there is a big reenactment and the whole town has a big ol' medieval party.

The town's other claim to fame and water supply "The Holy Well" is a listed building and Ancient monument which puts in the same catagory as the pyramids (I could be making that last bit up up). It was first recorded in the year 998, it was used by local monks and for hundreds of years as the towns main water supply.

Skip forward a few hundred years and Southam was also the site of the creatively named RAF Southam during the second world war . It served as a training base for pilots and the sky would usually be filled with the sound of Tiger Moths.

Following the war not much happens in the sleepy town but then in 1977 an 11 year old British born lad by the name of David Darling begins to learn programming with his older brother Richard while living in Canada. Fast forward a few years and another two brothers known as The Oliver Twins discover computing via their dad's friends Apple II computer.

In 1982 the Darling Brothers were living in Somerset and making their own games under the label Galactic Software despite a very formal warning from one of David's teachers describing game programming as "a waste of time".

The following year in 1983 the Oliver Twins win a competition in Computer and Video Games Magazine (now cvg.com) winning them 50 quid for their first published game called Road Runner. (Which was a game you had to type in yourself - older folk will know what I'm talking about here)

Then in 1986 after breaking up with Mastertronic (their old publisher) The Darlings Establish Codemasters with the help of their father Jim at his farm in Southam working out of the stables. The first game they released was BMX simulator and you can play it online here

The Darlings eventually meet the Oliver Twins at a trade show and offered them 10p per copy for their next game claiming they could shift 100,000 copies. The Olivers take them up on their offer and create Super Robin Hood which goes straight to number one in the charts and was one of the first times speech was ever used in a videogame - they used their mum as the voice of Maid Marian during a loading screen,

Following their first smash hit the team work together on Dizzy the Egg, Grand Prix Simulator and loads of others.  As we start to get into the 90's the pair of brothers eventually go their separate ways. Codemasters under the Darling Brothers continues to grow with the release of the Game Genie, and games like Micro Machines through the early 90's.

And then we get to 1997 and I suppose what many of you guys know as the modern day Codemasters with the release of ToCA Touring Cars and Colin McRae Rally in 1998. These games eventually went on to become the GRID and DiRT that you all know and love now with the Official Formula 1 game being added to our trinity of titles much later in 2009.

The Darling Brothers eventually sold Codemasters and moved on to their own things, David now heads up a mobile app studio in nearby Leamington while the Oliver Twins stayed local and are heading up a new game studio called Radient Worlds.

Codemasters is still in the same place it always was on that farm in sleepy Southam, we may have outgrown the stables but dad still lives next door.

As for what's next..? Well we'll just have to see. We're looking forward to be finally hitting next gen with the release of F1 2015 later this year and if you've been keeping an eye on the DiRT forum you'll know its no secret that the DiRT Team are up to something (and I honestly hand on heart believe that it just might be the best thing we've ever done).

Times are changing in the games industry, we've gone from getting some code printed in a magazine and imputting it yourself to live services that let you play with friends all over the world. Those games that were on tape which you ordered from the back of a magazine and spent half a Saturday trying to load you can now play in your web browser - instantly. Even now, putting something on disc and in a box on a shelf isn't enough anymore, games needing to be living and breathing entities and being brutally honest we've got some catching up to do haven't we?

Thanks for sticking with us guys, I know you don't hear from them often (and maybe that needs to change) but I know it means a lot to the people actually making the games knowing you're here.

There you have it, less of where I live but this is where I work and its far more interesting.

This easily gets the award for the thread with longest posts.. :p (And ofcourse I have to add it was my idea @RevolvingPrawn‌ :p )

I don't think I really have to say anything about this place, in case someone didn't see the weather thread it's called Limni, it's bigger than a village but smaller than a town (is there a word for it in English? )  so here are a few photos

@RevolvingPrawn You've certainly been around. I was born in Melbourne, grew up in Melbourne and still live in Melbourne.

@justbiglee Love how the farm is still there, and the HQ is pretty much part of it :) It's the kind of awesome start to a company that's stayed where it's roots are which you just don't get with newer companies these days.

And it was indeed @mike96 who came up with the idea :p And yea, the posts are crazy long lol, I've stopped looking at this thread on my phone because my thumb starts to hurt from scrolling lol.

@onetwothree I know right? I feel dirty and abused. The UK is pretty small though compared to Australia, so it's pretty easy to get around, especially when there isn't any killer animals to hazard your journey ;)

I live in a town called Traralgon its a pretty boring town nothing much goes on.

This is one of our two post office's built in 1886

This is our local shopping center 

Our Railway station

Turntable back in 1925 and it's still in operation now

And this is our local Power station called Loy yang

I live in a place called Wycombe (pronounced 'Wi-kum' for any foreigners), and tbh it's very average.

It's got everything a town has but not much more. However, I like living around here as it has everything I need and it's not too far from London or other good towns. Here's a picture of the relatively new shopping centre below.

I'm just outside Aylesbury, so not far from Wycombe!

I'm completely different from everyone else so far because I live on a farm. It's nice living here, but I hate Aylesbury and the surrounding area :(

I live in a place called Wycombe (pronounced 'Wi-kum' for any foreigners), and tbh it's very average.

It's got everything a town has but not much more. However, I like living around here as it has everything I need and it's not too far from London or other good towns. Here's a picture of the relatively new shopping centre below.

I'm completely different from everyone else so far because I live on a farm. It's nice living here, but I hate Aylesbury and the surrounding area :(

Oh right, nice! I think Aylesbury is alright, but I haven't been there loads so I couldn't say much. Beaconsfield is lovely though, that's about 15 minutes from me. Have you ever been to Rogue Racing in Aylesbury?

Oh right, nice! I think Aylesbury is alright, but I haven't been there loads so I couldn't say much. Beaconsfield is lovely though, that's about 15 minutes from me. Have you ever been to Rogue Racing in Aylesbury?

Yeah there are some nice places around, my farm was great until they built a bypass, a dump and a massive milk processing factory next to it! No I've never been unfortunately

Well, here goes, I'll try to make this short.  It looks like I am the only one posting from America.  A little background of my family history.  This explains a little bit about the area I live or why I live where I do.  

The first of my ancestors came to Pennsylvania in 1753 from Wurttemberg Germany, they where given a tract of land by William Penn to farm.  Penn encouraged many from Germany to settle here in PA, and many did so for the religious freedoms Penn allowed and the similarities to the rolling hills of Germany (it made them feel at home).

Many of my relatives still live not far from Philidelphia where my ancestors first established their farms in the 1700's.  I do know that this isn't all that long ago in European history, but here is quite a long time.  

This is what I saw growing up, we are not far from many small towns and a short drive from Pittsburgh PA (named after William Pitt, the British Statesman of the era).  

Pennsylvania countryside 

The closest town nearby is Canonsburg, it is known for being the 'most radioactive in America'.  In the early 1900s a radium refining mill was operated just outside the town, and (Madam) Mari Curie visited for her research.  By the 1940s it was a government contractor for the Manhattan Project, or the first Atom Bomb.  As with most places that had early experiments with radiative material, it was mishandled and dumped on the property.  Fast forward to early 1980s, the site was finally cleaned up and the contaminates where buried in a concrete sarcophagus.

Downtown Canonsburg, not really that great of a place

the radioactive hill:

The next few pictures are from the city of Pittsburgh, this place is a little more interesting and a little less deadly (at least in the daytime :neutral_face: )

Pittsburgh skyline

we have a lot of yellow painted bridges here:

If there is much to know about Pittsburgh is that in its peak it was one of the largest producers of steel in America, up to about 1980.  The city is proud of that heritage and many landmarks and names reference that era.  

On the north side of the city was a German settlement, many which had immigrated here in the 1830's I believe.  Pittsburgh is predominately German, Italian, Polish and Slovak decedents  Most people can find that their grandparents spoke their native language, but many are only their nationality by their ancestors, and maybe a favorite meal, and a little by how they look.  

It seems many here in this area and probably unique to America in general, look at what nationality they are with some pride of where they have come from (again ancestors).  So this is probably the reason that I have pointed out and claim my German descent.

Moving on..

I have been to many cities in the US and Pittsburgh is a really pretty city.  The lay of the land is similar to San Francisco, California, but with rivers instead of the ocean/bay.     There isn't a much to do around here, there is a lot of early American history here (ahem, fighting the British :wink:) if you do the research you will find out a lot, we just don't have the huge monuments as there are in many parts of Europe.  Oh yeah, again, our civilized history only dates back to 16-1700's so I guess to the European thinking our history is very short. 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.041208,-3.36864,3a,75y,65.2h,74.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sx-82XG2o0ykQKOj04B-ufQ!2e0

If  you want to explore Dalgety Bay click that...

The white building on the left is to be demolished and an Aldi, restaurant, drive through cafe and shops are to be built there.....right across from Asda

Town centre for now

Our tennis courts and a Stagecoach bus......

You can get a cracking view of the bridges and any of the many cruise ships that anchor just off the bridge

This is the "link road" and it links the older Dalgety Bay with the newer half

This area was built in the late 90's early 00's and yeah it looks a pretty amazing place to live...

This is the sport centre you may have heard me mention about 

Very top of Dalgety Bay

I just wanted to mention how cool of a topic this is, its great to hear everyones stories about where they live.  We are all spread out so far around the world,  its fun to find out about what we have grown up around.

I live in some place called 'London' not sure if you've heard of it
in 2011 some guys got bored and decided to set half of it on fire.

This guy works here         

We also have the oldest underground railway network in the world (150 years and counting)

Talking about that fire

So to sum up London:
  1. People can be aggressive
  2. The country's  politicians work here
  3. Oldest Tube Network which sometimes breaks down

@Lukedfrt‌ 
Revelations!
 http://www.theladbible.com/articles/internet-reacts-to-fox-news-expert-claiming-birmingham-is-totally-muslim

Actually just been to Birmingham for the Autosport show. What on earth is the giant stretched out Dalek in the city centre?  Ok, missed the latter half of your post but still, that's just weird...

@Lukedfrt‌ 
Revelations!
 http://www.theladbible.com/articles/internet-reacts-to-fox-news-expert-claiming-birmingham-is-totally-muslim

Actually just been to Birmingham for the Autosport show. What on earth is the giant stretched out Dalek in the city centre?  Ok, missed the latter half of your post but still, that's just weird...
Haha, certain parts of it are! 

And yeah, the library is a bit odd looking to say the least :p