Sign in to follow this  

New to F1 and racing games...

Posted (edited)

After being off sick from work recently, I stumbled upon the new Netflix F1 series and was instantly hooked despite never being a Motorsports guy before.  Midway through the series, I bought the F1 2018 game on PS4 and have been messing around with it.  

I really like challenging myself so I decided to cut ties with most Assists after I got my feet wet on the Australia track.  I'm using the DualShock but already looking at getting a Thrustmaster T300RS GT and a Playseat Challenge to fully commit to this experience.

I know I have a TON to learn in this game and I quickly aborted the career mode after spending a couple days in it due to the fact that I felt overwhelmed and I thought I just needed to focus my efforts on learning one track at a time AND figuring out how to control the car with assists off, (the exception is racing line - I mostly keep this off but if I'm struggling with a corner, I turn it back on until I figure the corner out).

I'm not more than a week deep into just running the Australia track in Time Trial mode now with assists off, practicing an hour a day or so.  Getting used to no TC, braking assist and ABS took some real getting used to but I'm now able to get around the track at least while preserving a mediocre race line.  My braking points and turn in points are what I'm concentrating on.  What I'm wondering about is the general time it takes people to get consistent and get somewhat competitive.  I don't really want to start racing AI until I can consistently get around the track several times without crashing or spinning out.  From there, I'll start running the Practice sessions and learning car management but all my efforts now is learning to drive consistently with assists off.

My best lap time on Australia isn't great, (1:31) but maybe ok for someone with no racing experience and not using assists? Am I going about this correctly?  I figure if I keep grinding, it'll get better but I also don't want to find out I made a crucial mistake with my approach and get frustrated with managing expectations vs results either.

Thoughts?

Edited by ryguy76
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The old saying practise makes perfect really. As you say you’re looking to learn the tracks so that’s a good start. 

The Time Trial cars are full spec so they will feel nothing like your career mode car. 

Just keep the AI low to start off with, then build that up as you go along and get better. 

8 hours ago, tarrantino said:

The old saying practise makes perfect really. As you say you’re looking to learn the tracks so that’s a good start. 

The Time Trial cars are full spec so they will feel nothing like your career mode car. 

Just keep the AI low to start off with, then build that up as you go along and get better. 

I tell my kids the same thing about practicing.  I got no issues with putting in the time but wanted to be sure I was taking a recommended and logical approach.

I found out that changing cars from the McLaren with a 1:31 to a Ferrari allowed me to instantly shave off 2 seconds.  

With my 1:29 lap time, I decided to try a 5 lap grand prix race last night with AI set at around 25.  The pole position was a 1:28 and I was mid pack for a few laps until I got wiped out so decided to call 'er quits for the evening.  Lots of fun, but definitely not MarioKart!!

2 hours ago, ryguy76 said:

I tell my kids the same thing about practicing.  I got no issues with putting in the time but wanted to be sure I was taking a recommended and logical approach.

I found out that changing cars from the McLaren with a 1:31 to a Ferrari allowed me to instantly shave off 2 seconds.  

With my 1:29 lap time, I decided to try a 5 lap grand prix race last night with AI set at around 25.  The pole position was a 1:28 and I was mid pack for a few laps until I got wiped out so decided to call 'er quits for the evening.  Lots of fun, but definitely not MarioKart!!

Yeah it’s just patients at times. Races you’ll find will vary and pit strategy in longer races will play its part. Also some tracks are really good to race and some like Monaco are an absolute sod to get right. 

I’ve been messing with the Grand Prix mode and running some races.  I am not impressing anyone but having fun with the assists all off and am managing to race a decent race, (at the back of the pack, mind you) with AI at a pathetic 10, lol.  

At the moment, I’m ok with this as it’s  much more challenging with no assists and I see improvement with my consistency to run similar laps.  I make mistakes here and there, but Flashback is nice to handle that.

I’ll keep hammering away, but having fun.

Hi 😄
First of all i do reccomend you to watch some hotlap videos from youtube because if you dont know how to take the corners right your practice wont make you learn that much as you can see in the video

A year before i was bad at china and after watching how to take the corners the rest became easy because i knew how to take the corners and my practice was not useless.
You can find melbourne from this video and there is more.

Have a good day. 😛

Sorry i sent a hotlap video 😄 and it is hard to learn from that so heres a guide to the track

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Compared to other racing simulations, the learning curve in F1 2018 is pretty small. Apart from the speed, the cars all drive the same, even the classics.
With Project cars 2, for example, every car is a challenge, especially the formula cars.

I think what you do is you try to get sucessfull way to fast. 

The assist are there for help, don't be too confident to use them. especially race line and TC should turned off if you feel experienced enough.

And do races, not just training.

training can teach you the speed, but racing situations like pitstops, starts, wet tracks and overtaking aren't learned very good with time Trial.

Just don't rush yourself and start with low expectations. You can't win after 3-4 races.

And do career, the Practice programms teaches you race line, ERS, Tyre mangement and other important stuff.

Edited by FTBuzzard
  • Agree 2