Sign in to follow this  

The PC Thread V2

Seeing how the old thread never made the cut, i thought i'd bring it back.

@Hughesy The cheapest 2070 Rtx over here is $750.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That's actually slightly cheaper than they are here, thanks Brexit.

The one I was looking at and still am is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GeForce-2070-ARMOR-Black/dp/B07HFLS65D/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=MSI%2BNVIDIA%2BGeForce%2BRTX%2B2070&qid=1554470504&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

I normally go for the xx80 cards, but this gen the prices are insane, I also normally go for the better tier from that gen to get a better cooler and overclock potential. But again the price increase is insane. They now jazz them up with RGB lighting to make them look special, But I can barely see into my PC where it currently is. 

I loved making my PC look cool, but right now I'm not that bothered, partly because I've grown to hate my Corsair 780T case. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

@couger1981, what do you mean by "the old thread didn't make the cut"?

DiRTFanNo.1

Mean that old thread wasn't transfered to the new forum, they did say that some threads didn't get transfered.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

@couger1981, what do you mean by "the old thread didn't make the cut"?

DiRTFanNo.1

Edit: Double post

Edited by couger1981
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Screw it, it was doing my head in constantly looking at a 2070rtx, because I couldn't get it out my head. So I've bought the one I linked. My 980 does struggle in some VR games, so it was needed really. Plus my 240hz monitor is freesync, but is compatible with Gsync but only with these GPU's, so that's another bonus. In most games I'll get double the framerate compared to my GPU, so 60fps would be 120fps.

This gen is overpriced, but there was no other choice as AMD are rubbish. Anyway, it arrives tomorrow which is cool. Probably sell my 980 on Ebay or something. 

Now I dont want to play any demanding games like Metro Exodus until  I get this GPU tomorrow. 

untitled.png

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Hughesy said:

Screw it, it was doing my head in constantly looking at a 2070rtx, because I couldn't get it out my head. So I've bought the one I linked. My 980 does struggle in some VR games, so it was needed really. Plus my 240hz monitor is freesync, but is compatible with Gsync but only with these GPU's, so that's another bonus. In most games I'll get double the framerate compared to my GPU, so 60fps would be 120fps.

This gen is overpriced, but there was no other choice as AMD are rubbish. Anyway, it arrives tomorrow which is cool. Probably sell my 980 on Ebay or something. 

Now I dont want to play any demanding games like Metro Exodus until  I get this GPU tomorrow. 

untitled.png

Nice, i was looking at one over here and its £30 cheaper.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Cool, I really hope it comes within the next few hours as the wait is killing me. My credit card bill isnt so great, but we only live once lol. Its going to be so nice to play Pcars2 in VR and not having to use low settings.

Edit: It's here. Time to flex its muscles:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Well this is annoying, I can't use the ray tracing in Metro atm. It needs the latest windows update, downloading now but its taking ages. Weird how it's set to auto update, yet wasn't on the latest windows version.

But from what I've tested going from a 980 to 2070rtx is a big upgrade, plus I can use Gsync with my freesync monitor. What is surprising is the heatsink is thicker than my 980 even though the power draw is less. Tonight I'll use VR and see how much better Pcars2 is.

I'm also going to see how far I can push a overclock. Unlike the GPU's I normally get, it isn't a binned chip so unless I have the silicone lottery I won't get much out of it. I didn't know this but the MSI logo is actually RGB, so although it isn't the top tier card, it still has a bit of bling.

Well this is new for me, my i7 6700k is a bottleneck for this GPU. So with Vsync off my GPU isn't maxed in all games. I'm still getting crazy good framerates. Getting a new CPU is a pain in the arse as I'll have to get a new motherboard. So that won't happen for a long time, I might actually move to AMD as they are finally making decent CPU's.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2

I know this is a triple post but I'm too lazy to edit lol.

Turns out I did get lucky with this non binned chip. It shouldn't be a good over overclocker, but it is. Normal boost clock is around 1600mhz, but it does go higher. Thing is I wanted to see what it could do, so far I have the core clocked at 2000mhz. I've also OC the memory by a lot but I cant remember the number.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just bought a M2 1TB SSD. I don't really have room for a fourth SSD and so a M2 is the better option, plus it was only £112. Going SSD only years ago was great, but back then games were like 15GB max, now they can be 100GB lol.

Also bought Sakiro, what a great game. Playing it on my 4K HDR TV as the game only supports 60fps unless you mod it, but that didnt work well for me. So playing it at max setting at 4k and getting 60fps, looks amazing.

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Keeping up my post streak lol. New PC case and fans look amazing. Wires in the second pic arent in the PC, they are just my keyboard and mouse cables.

Edit: Oh **** I think my Corsair H115i CPU cooler has issues. So when I first changed cases there was a waterflow blockage as water temp shot up. Moved it about and heard a noise and the flow was ok. But just now water temp shot up again with one pipe hot, I think there's an actual blockage. But as it's a sealed unit there's nothing I can do about it. Making me want to build my own custom waterloop again as this is the second Corsair cooler that has done this, this one was actually an upgrade that Corsair sent me for free after the last one broke.

20190503_075134.jpg

20190503_075149.jpg

Edited by Hughesy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well here is the new cooler, really the only change apart from it actually working is its RGB. Weirdly the pipes are thinner than the old one, must be a performance decision as doesnt look quite so nice.

q7g57Ia.jpg

Edited by Hughesy