Sign in to follow this  

Glorious HDR

The HDR lighting in the game is absolutely stunning! Doing a race in the morning at Spain earlier which was "cloudy"  My jaw was hitting the floor at times with how brilliant it looked from being in dark storm clouds into the bright sunrise of oranges and reds and then back into the darkness again of those dark dark clouds it truly was a wonderful sight. Then i had the sunset in New Zealand with the sea to the right handside another jaw dropping sight. So custom championships i am just going round all the stages changing all the weather systems to see them all in the glorious states. 

The game has took alot of stick for being blurry but now i am used to the blurriness maybe it was a good design choice to choose this lighting system of image quality. Maybe im used to the blurriness now it's not affecting me as much but if it means one or the other i choose this lighting system everytime (it does need added into the cockpit though as it's pitch black in here all the time)

Now if Codies can fix the luminance of the HDR picture this could look much much better and it looks like i was way wrong about HDR being an after thought. C'mon Codies give us proper HDR settings to elevate the graphics to the next level! 👍

• Agree 1

@FLAW3D I begg to slightly differ 😉

2 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

The game has took alot of stick for being blurry

And rightly so!

now i am used to the blurriness

You’ve got to be kidding me! (I’m assuming that you are on the PS4 Pro)

maybe it was a good design choice to choose this lighting system of image quality

It most certainly was!

if it means one or the other i choose this lighting system everytime

You shouldn’t have to. There’s no reason preventing the game from having the current lighting system and crisp graphics! Let’s go crazy and aim for the moon. Codies please give us the best of both worlds!

1 hour ago, SimFunny said:

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/36090-hdr-brightness/?_fromLogin=1
There´s already one topic about this issue.

If you can give working headlights for cars which lighten roads also at night and those dark shadows (and tunnel at Monaco) there´s no problem.

Thats a different issue than the maximum luminance of the picture. 

Im on PS4 Pro LG Oled B7 and ive never had the pitch blackness during the day others are having. Im wondering if people have not set the brightness in game?

20 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Thats a different issue than the maximum luminance of the picture. 

Im on PS4 Pro LG Oled B7 and ive never had the pitch blackness during the day others are having. Im wondering if people have not set the brightness in game?

I´m with C8 and brightness setting 50 is correct at TV, no black crush.
There shouldn´t need for adjust brightness at game.

That slider at game is for max luminance, what are you looking for?
Set it to match B7 nits?

Yeah, I don't really get what people are complaining about with cartoon colours and stuff.... this is gorgeous

20190405202041_1.jpg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SimFunny said:

I´m with C8 and brightness setting 50 is correct at TV, no black crush.
There shouldn´t need for adjust brightness at game.

That slider at game is for max luminance, what are you looking for?
Set it to match B7 nits?

Yeah im on 50 on the tv as wel.

Its a brightness slider though not luminance i thought? If a luminnance slider we would of had a white grid to match up like all other HDR games including F1 2018? Im pretty sure its just for the brightness of the game.

Will need to get a proper mess about with it tonight once the wife goes to bed.

That slider brings more light, so it acts like OLED-light or contrast setting.
With brightness (TV) you set your black level to correct, however default values is 99% correct.
There may be some exceptions for naming, like Philips.

I calibrate televisions but not yet tried with HDR, however have meter and patterns to do that.
I have dynamic tone on at TV, maby I should try to turn it off but think that not affect to brightness or gamma tracking.

Tried it all way from left to right and no help for those pitch dark shadows at NZ when you drive against sun.

To the best of my knowledge (and I’m by no means an expert on the subject) HDR is a standard. You either have it on or off and the only thing you have is the possibility to calibrate it (and that’s what the only slider available is for) so that it matches the brightness set either ingame or on your TV/monitor. Unfortunately Codemasters didn’t even provide a calibration pattern so it ends up being an empiric calibration based on our personal preferences.

Posted (edited)

I stand corrected, sometimes there really is brightness setting for HDR at game settings.
This video says that setting luminance (nits) with white square can be set to max because of panel tone mapping (like movies which are mastered to 4000nits but your panel can only give e.g. 800nits).

So what actually that DR2 HDR slider do :classic_unsure:
I´ll test it more tomorrow, drive to pitch dark scene at NZ and try to set it max.

Edited by SimFunny

I have tried it at max settings and even then it really is too dark ( im using a LG oled e6) It’s worth a try but I think the results will still be the same.

Yeah its just a brightness setting guys. At it all the way to the right i have no issues of pitch blackness. Default settings i do.

Agree with the OP, the lighting in this game is overall really stunning. Sunset stages in particular are just wonderful.

I don't have a HDR television, so I can say that even without HDR, it looks fantastic (Xbox One X).

The only exception for me is night-time and the road ahead - under headlights it just doesn't seem to work, and has a previous-gen look about it.

But that's no biggie. If they can fix the night-time heavy rain effect (the 'rain bolts'), I will be perfectly happy with the look of the game on the Xbox One X (except of course for the FoV). Will be very interesting to see what comes of the next patch graphically.

pre-patch the game was unplayable with HDR on. so i set it to off and that's the way i left it for a long time.

enabled it again for another game i was playing (coincidentally Res Evil 2), forgot to turn it off before going into DR2.0 and yeah, have to agree with the OP, the game looks waaayyy better in HDR now after the patch.

I would still like the bluriness fixed though. hopefully once they've done that after the next patch the game will look even better.

and the lighting effects need to be toned down, they're a bit overkill on PS4 (god rays, bloom, lens flare etc.). i don't think they necessarily need to be turned off, just toned down. if we could at least get the option to turn them off or some kind of slider that would be best.

Another thing that is missing from this game, HDR on PC.

The entry for HDR is even in the hardware_settings_config.xml... it just doesn't work.

Before you all jump in to negative thumb me, Codemasters have HDR running on PC for both F1 2017 and F1 2018. I've love it to be enable in DR 2.0.

Posted (edited)

Seems that found solution to this HDR "pitch dark shadows" problem.

Set black level to "high" at TV and now it´s not anymore crushed :classic_blush:
OLED light 100, Contrast 100, Brightness 50, Dynamic contrast off, Dynamic tone mapping on (brings more luminance), Dynamic colors off. 
LG OLED C8@HDR Game mode
HDR setting slider 1.0 at game.

Don´t know should it be like that but anyhow it´s way better than before, driving is too hard if can´t see road at all :classic_wink:

Edited by SimFunny

You should always have dynamic tone mapping on with the 8 series 👍