DiRT Rally 2.0 Road Book - 08/04/19

47 minutes ago, Mastoideu said:

You are absolutely right... up to when you say “it’s the same principle”, because it’s not. In fact it’s exactly the opposite principle. You could even consider it a paradox but the older a console gets the better new games turn out. Unlike with the PC, where game developers have to constantly keep ahead of technological evolution but still allow for older machines to run their software (by giving the users the possibility to run the games with lower settings), consoles keep their specs for their whole life. This means that games released early on after the launch of a new console generation don’t yet benefit from the experience gained by developers after some years of trying to squeeze the most out of the exact same machine. On top of that come regular OS releases that often improve the performance of the consoles and introduce new features. So, to sum it up, if anything DR2 should perform at least as well as DiRT 4 (graphically), although I would even expect it to be able to run at 4K, like pretty much all recent AAA titles.

Hmm, I agree to some extent here. Although it´s fair to say that in the last console-generation the graphical fidelity was rising towards the end of the generation, but that fidelity was often bought by a resolution that was under 720p and subpar performance. I must say that this generation does a pretty good job in rising the graphical fidelity, while staying at 1080p and a reasonable framerate (although "only" being at 30fps). Now that only accounts to the PS4, the standard XBone is (sadly) another cattle of fish..........

But just for my interest: What recent AAA-Title ran at 4K on the PS4Pro ? And I mean literally 4K (3840x2160; be it native, or even checkerboarded; which would  more likely be 1920x2160). Most of the time the resolution is somewhere at around 1800p. Devil May Cry V ran at 4K (checkerboarded) if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Civarello

23 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

The game runs at 60fps on consoles right? Has anyone considered the possibility that to get it to run at or near 60 they've had to reduce the graphics quality on the older consoles? I've not seen what it's like but this would be my best guess, rather than "they just made it look bad for shits and giggles"

this is not correct at all, for two main reasons:

(1) F1 2018 looks absolutely gorgeous on the PS4 Pro, and that's from the same developer using the same engine. The difference in graphical quality between the two games on PS4 Pro is quite large, at least in terms of blurriness (I have both). F1 2018 looks clean and crisp. And F1 2018 also runs at 60fps, with barely any frame drops (unlike DR2.0), and with a ton of other cars on track.

(2) If they've had to reduce the graphical fidelity due to a lack of processing power then why have they enabled every single ancillary effect you can imagine (god rays, bloom, lens flare etc) and turned them up to 110% or something ridiculous? Does it not make more sense to reduce those effects that actually make the game harder to see than to have 127 lens flares at the same time blinding the player on a stage?

The simple fact is that the bluriness is caused by the use of Temporal Anti-aliasing (TAA). TAA is arguably (probably) the best choice for this game on console but they need to add some image sharpening. The game was also quite clearly developed for PC first and then the PS4 port was just rushed over without optimizing it. It's blatantly obvious they ran out of time to optimize the game for consoles, there is a lot of stuff about the game in general that just screams the fact that they ran out of development time and had to rush it towards the end.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Agree 3

39 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

(1) F1 2018 looks absolutely gorgeous on the PS4 Pro, and that's from the same developer using the same engine. The difference in graphical quality between the two games on PS4 Pro is quite large, at least in terms of blurriness (I have both). F1 2018 looks clean and crisp. And F1 2018 also runs at 60fps, with barely any frame drops (unlike DR2.0), and with a ton of other cars on track.

(2) If they've had to reduce the graphical fidelity due to a lack of processing power then why have they enabled every single ancillary effect you can imagine (god rays, bloom, lens flare etc) and turned them up to 110% or something ridiculous? Does it not make more sense to reduce those effects that actually make the game harder to see than to have 127 lens flares at the same time blinding the player on a stage?

The simple fact is that the bluriness is caused by the use of Temporal Anti-aliasing (TAA). TAA is arguably (probably) the best choice for this game on console but they need to add some image sharpening. The game was also quite clearly developed for PC first and then the PS4 port was just rushed over without optimizing it. It's blatantly obvious they ran out of time to optimize the game for consoles, there is a lot of stuff about the game in general that just screams the fact that they ran out of development time and had to rush it towards the end.

The game has problems on PC as well; especially the optimization is really poor in certain parts for what the game offers. I wouldn´t say that the game was rushed only for the consoles, but a rushed game in general.

All those things that are missing (which have been mentioned countless times by now, and even if it´s only smaller things, they still add up) are proof that the game was rushed. Either that or these things were left out on purpose, but if that is the case then it´s really obvious that the game was designed to appeal more to the gamepad-users than the wheel-users.

What really is mindboggling: People are STILL reporting that they´re loosing progress due to "differences between local and server-files". 6 weeks after release. Is this a thing that people need to worry about over the whole lifespan of the game ? Or the thing with the Sound cutting out; or the "something invisible is stuck in the front and therefore the car can´t drive". Other companies release hotfixes for these kinds of problems. But Codemasters wants to wait until their next major update is ready. All the people that suffer from these bugs in the meantime: Tough Luck.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 2

bonjour mademoiselle ou madame christina Mc ,franchement je trouve votre jeux génial a plein de niveau mais que s,ait il passer entre le ffb de dirt 1 et celui de dirt rally 2.0                                              svp faite vite pour le FFB merci a toute l,equipe

Do you guys have any news if the graphics problem will be solved in the next patch ??? Many say they don't mind or that it's the HDMI cable but I've tried different TVs and cables but the result doesn't change.:classic_sleep:

13 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

Do you guys have any news if the graphics problem will be solved in the next patch ??? Many say they don't mind or that it's the HDMI cable but I've tried different TVs and cables but the result doesn't change.:classic_sleep:

As far as I'm aware there is a fix for the blurring on console versions of the game in the coming patch.

• Agree 1

@Rallystu2 I hope so and to go back to seeing the game like the old dirt, still hearing christina Mc I was told they don't know if they can make it for the next patch.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, ChristinaMc said:

The team are looking at it, but not sure it'll be squeezed into 1.3 unfortunately! 

@Rallystu2 what do you know that we don’t? (Even if I truly hope you’re right!)

Edited by Mastoideu

Besides the nice things we get last and this week, and the bugfixing, is there any news when leagues are coming?

On 4/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, Tranzitive said:

This is indeed a TAA problem. Add motion blur to that and you got yourself a mess of a picture. 

TAA makes the image on PC become very blurry as well, and the texture quality in DR2 isn't very good even on highest PC settings either, esp the road texture.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, bogani said:

This is indeed a TAA problem. Add motion blur to that and you got yourself a mess of a picture. 

TAA makes the image on PC become very blurry as well, and the texture quality in DR2 isn't very good even on highest PC settings either, esp the road texture.

i notice that when i disable taa,  textures in game become  weird (grid-like) , especially on trees and mostly when the car is moving..............

@cmMikeRobson

Bogani's post reminded me that you actually had the option to disable motion blur on F1 2018 on PS4 (at least the Pro). i think it may have even had a slider. so in DR2.0 we don't even get the same graphics options that are in older games by the same dev.

I understand why they used TAA, in a rally game you have a lot of objects loading in all the time and coming towards you at a high rate, so TAA is probably the best choice. but as i said before the image really needs to be sharpened, give us a slider for motion blur or at least a simple on/off option so the player can decide. 

It also looks like CM haven't taken advantage of the capabilities of the PS4 Pro. Spider-man also used TAA but it was done through a sort of 'temporal injection' from what i've read, and that game looks really crisp and clean. granted it runs at 30fps compared to 60 for DR2.0 but Spider-man also runs at 1440p checkerboard 4K, while DR2.0 is only 1080p. 

60fps with temporal injection at 1080p should be doable, no? ideally i'd like 1440p but i'll take a lower resolution just for a crisper-looking game. or 1440p at 60fps with some of the ancillary effects turned down?

it seems like CM thought console players would complain if they didn't get the same ancillary effects (god rays, bloom, lens flare etc.) as PC players but they seem to have just guessed wrong and the majority of people want things the opposite way. issue could have been solved with a beta program, or even if they'd just run focus groups with some people pre-release to gauge what people wanted. if they did run focus groups and people preferred all the extra effects over a higher-resolution, crisper-looking game then i don't know who they got :classic_huh:

6 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

Game Xbox announcement

they also list  improvements and size???

Edited by teknoid85

11 hours ago, Tranzitive said:

It also looks like CM haven't taken advantage of the capabilities of the PS4 Pro.

I did a very brief lookup of information regarding the PS4 Pro's behavior and it appears that there are some cases where performance, or worse visual consistency in games has dropped when utilizing these upscaling techniques, considering that DR2.0 does have some performance consistency issues already it's possible they tried a few of PS4 Pro's bandaids and ran into issues, perhaps it requires specific optimization.

for reference: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-why-are-some-ps4-pro-titles-running-slower-than-base-hardware

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nbates66 said:

I did a very brief lookup of information regarding the PS4 Pro's behavior and it appears that there are some cases where performance, or worse visual consistency in games has dropped when utilizing these upscaling techniques, considering that DR2.0 does have some performance consistency issues already it's possible they tried a few of PS4 Pro's bandaids and ran into issues, perhaps it requires specific optimization.

for reference: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-why-are-some-ps4-pro-titles-running-slower-than-base-hardware

thanks for the info :classic_smile:

i was looking up some other CM games this morning and Onrush has the option of either higher resolution or higher frame rate on PS4 Pro (user can choose). Could we not have gotten this option for DR2.0? 1080p at 60fps or 1440p at 30fps (or variable frame rate)? 

this is what's baffling to me. Options available in other CM games are missing from DR2.0, like a motion blur slider, those Onrush options, and then there's the fact that F1 2017 (yes, '17, a game that came out 2 years ago) runs at 60fps with 4K AND HDR on PS4 Pro (check out the list Mastoideu posted above).

49 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

this is what's baffling to me.

I don't find this to be baffling really, personally I think the combination of developing for PC as well as the consoles AND the console sub-variants is proving to be a difficult developer workload, considering the sorts of bugs that have been appearing. It must be considered that some rendering methods and pipelines do not gel well with techniques such as those relied on by the PS4 Pro.

As for the list Mastoideu posted, it makes no mention of if any titles were checked for issues, only for if the Developer had done the checkbox.

more random reference: https://wccftech.com/blow-checkerboard-rendering-ps4pro-isnt-completely-free-might-better-uses-power/

49 minutes ago, Tranzitive said:

F1 2017, a game that came out 2 years ago

Means little, newer games can be more complex and the PS4 Pro's hardware often relies on additional tricks for 4K that other hardware doesn't.

Edited by nbates66
fixing quotebox...
  • Like 2