What I love most in DiRT Rally 2.0

HDR skylines? It's also what i liked best about the game. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Actually, yes but not only. I meant cars, sunset, Silverstone, so everything you can see in these pictures. :classic_smile:

Silverstone is BY FAR my favourite RX track to drive

8 hours ago, ianism said:

Silverstone is BY FAR my favourite RX track to drive

It's funny, because Silverstone is one of my least favourite circuits as a spectator, but actually pretty good fun to drive...

...Holjes and Hell are still my favourite though! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Yes to this. At times I am just like - ‘wow!’.

Wanna pull the car over and take in the scenery - pretty breathtaking at times.

39 minutes ago, rallyemania said:

Pity I don't have a PC to run this game on . My PS4 does not render it so well .

I have faith they'll work out the kinks in the (very) slow trickle of updates. it seems they're genuinely trying to fix the mess they released, and their apparent (so far) commitment to DLC beyond Seasons 1 & 2 is encouraging.

lack of communication sucks though.

I play on a laptop (ok, it's a good one, but still) and even on medium-high graphics it's amazing (though sometimes the framerate drops to like 24, especially in Poland).

I love this damn game, but I have to take a break from it sometimes because there's not enough unique roads at each location. Dirt 4 was better for this, in my opinion

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ianism said:

I have faith they'll work out the kinks in the (very) slow trickle of updates. it seems they're genuinely trying to fix the mess they released, and their apparent (so far) commitment to DLC beyond Seasons 1 & 2 is encouraging.

I play on a laptop (ok, it's a good one, but still) and even on medium-high graphics it's amazing (though sometimes the framerate drops to like 24, especially in Poland).

I love this damn game, but I have to take a break from it sometimes because there's not enough unique roads at each location. Dirt 4 was better for this, in my opinion

'DiRT 4' was better for this because this game has got 'Your St4ge', in other words, the generator by which you can generate millions or even infinite stages by pressing the button. So every single race was brand new experience. Yet after completing more and more races there was a feeling of driving the same route a bit. And that is because the generator uses procedural sequences of turns, environment (here I mean for example no trees around and trees around in Wales, randomly set lakes beside the track) and the lenght of the stage (from about 2km to about 15-16km lenght, sometimes it might be a bit less than 2 or more than 15-16, it is also chosen randomly even if you don't change anything and just press 'Generate Stage', by the way I remember such a situation when I generated 1,98km long stage). Finally, fans wanted procedural tracks like it was in 'DiRT Rally' and as I remember also wanted more various stages. In DR1 it was really poor as you had got version B of the same stage or just shorter version (for example first half of Kakaristo as the other stage named Iso Oksjarvi) and it was quite often (if you don't remember, here you can see mini maps of every stage in DR1 https://dirt.fandom.com/wiki/DiRT_Rally). When it comes to myself, I prefer procedural tracks even if I take whole rallies over and over again.

• Disagree 2

On 4/10/2019 at 7:36 AM, ianism said:

not enough unique roads at each location. Dirt 4 was better for this, in my opinion

giphy.webp

Codemasters biggest Fail is the  "Your stage"  function has been ever released.

Repetitive, boring procedural tracks all the time.
Dirt 4 tracks are the worst in Rally games' History.

• Agree 8

I think what I like most in DR2.0 is the physics and handling. Weight transfer and change of direction are pretty much spot on in my view. You can definitely feel the weight of the car through the wheel. I've fallen a little bit in love with the traction changes between ice, snow and tarmac at Monte Carlo 😍  

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, richie said:

I've fallen a little bit in love with the traction changes between ice, snow and tarmac at Monte Carlo 😍  

Same.
I should feel something similar on tarmac ... They should add DUST and little STONES to the asphalt in Spain tracks to make it tricky in some corners IMO

• Agree 1

What I love most in DR 2.0 is the immersion.

The physics are making weight transfer and playing with the car's momentum through turn-combinations great fun. Good physics alone wouldn't be enough for an immersive experience but DR 2.0 has top quality engine sounds. Many driving sims has artifical engine sounds, recorded in a dyno room.But in DR 2.0 you can hear the engines struggle, the intake gasping for air, the turbo whine, the exhaust roar. Sounds make this game alive. 

And there are the graphics. On standard Xbox there are some fps drops and screen tearing but the overall look, the lighting system and details like vegetation are making the locations look very realistic. I hate the bloom effect on some stages (it's deadly in Poland with those ultra-high speed sections) but it's also realistic, and I hate blinding sun-glare in real life too, so no need to change that. :)

By the way locations: nothing can substitute hand-crafted, realistic locations. The devs designed really awesome stages. Every location is a very different experience. I liked the track-generator in D4 at first but after a while it annoyed me. Like having the same corner combination two or three times on the same stage - then I had some weird déja-vu feel, not good.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

On 4/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, ianism said:

I hope you are right in their plans for improvements on graphics on PS4. Because I really love this game, even at current quality level. I agree with you on the point that Dirt 4's tracks are obviously better in variety . But I feel the tracks in DR 2.0 are better designed and made. Responses from the surfaces in DR2.0 are more impressive , I think .

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 4:17 AM, RallyLover19 said:

100% disagree. I loved how every single one was different, even if you recognized (and got bored of) sections.

sure, it could have been a lot better. but for a first try? not bad. that is the future of rally games imo - they just need more to implement it a lot better.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 3

On 4/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, ianism said:

100% disagree. I loved how every single one was different, even if you recognized (and got bored of) sections.

sure, it could have been a lot better. but for a first try? not bad. that is the future of rally games imo - they just need more to implement it a lot better.

Codies said if every copy of the game was sold as digital content they could have done more, it was limited by the numbers of pre designed squares that could be stored on physical copies of the game.

Dislike it all you want mate, but that is the answer I was given by @KickUp at the Codies HQ when I specifically asked about YourStage square count and the possiblity of increased numbers when we went there to beta test YourStage.

1 hour ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Codies said if every copy of the game was sold as digital content they could have done more, it was limited by the numbers of pre designed squares that could be stored on physical copies of the game.

damn it!

Perhaps the system should be procedural, based on some algorythms instead of just tiles, I don't know. Maybe the technology isn't there yet.

But I agree, this is the future of rally games.

14 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Dislike it all you want mate, but that is the answer I was given by @KickUp at the Codies HQ when I specifically asked about YourStage square count and the possiblity of increased numbers when we went there to beta test YourStage.

I did remove dislike, but just to clear things.. it has not logic at all, how many games are on Physical disk, and are 2 to 3 times bigger content wise than Dirt 4 was between 30-35gb (RDR2 is more than 90gb and it fits on disk), so thats for sure not the right answer He gave you.. 

17 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

That's interesting to read, I never heard Paul saying that. Much was said on the day(s) at CM though, so quite likely a lot I missed! 

As has already been said by others I thought Your Stage had huge potential. The first iteration was limited, but improvements would surely have come with further development. 

Edited by tbtstt
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, dani211212 said:

I did remove dislike, but just to clear things.. it has not logic at all, how many games are on Physical disk, and are 2 to 3 times bigger content wise than Dirt 4 was between 30-35gb (RDR2 is more than 90gb and it fits on disk), so thats for sure not the right answer He gave you.. 

RDR2 was released on 2 Double Layer-Blu-Rays (50GB each). My guess would be that Dirt 4 was released on a Single Layer Blu-Ray (25 GB). The game may be bigger on your Harddrive, because the data on the Disc is compressed.

So it´s possible that the reason the Codemasters-guy mentioned (not enough space on the Retail-Discs) was correct. Now of course Codemasters could have used a Double Layer-Blu-Ray (50GB), but it´s reasonable to think that Codemasters wanted to lower the costs. Or they could have released new tiles via updates. Nevertheless, if wanting to cut costs was their primary reason, this decision has hurt the game big time.

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 1

On 4/10/2019 at 2:52 PM, rallyemania said:

Pity I don't have a PC to run this game on . My PS4 does not render it so well .

PC looks really good, not going to lie, but they haven’t implemented HDR for some inexplicable reason. They have HDR on PC for F1 2017 and F1 2018, so this seems like another oversight. 

On 4/14/2019 at 2:17 AM, SkiddyMcCrash said:

What an odd excuse, many games have day 1 “patches” (extra content usually) that are tens of GBs. 

On 4/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, RallyLover19 said:

I liked the idea, I should have liked the game, but in reality I found it less fun than previous Dirt games (and I wasn't a fan of them in the first place). I still like the idea, if a better system managed to make stages like those in DR2's USA or whatever, that would be an absolute killer.

• Agree 1