Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why they programmed the AI cars the way they did, they are simply insane. It doesn’t matter if there’s a passing opportunity or not, if the line is free or not, they just go for it and simply ram into me as I brake for the corner. At the moment they are worse than the most aggresive real players simply because there’s more of them and they don’t care if they crash alongside you or not. Add to that their absolutely ridiculous straight line speed and every race with slow corners is a gamble...i get taken out of the race or catapulted outside the track by AI cars so damn often.... this is suppose to be a “duel” (meaning 2 opponents) but it’s extremely rarely that I can actually fight the other player on track. The AI cars often decide the outcome. 

Edited by Ice2k
  • Agree 1

You posted this 15 minutes ago. I'm surprised it took you 15 minutes to work out that nothing is fair in this game.

2 hours ago, Ice2k said:

I don’t understand why they programmed the AI cars the way they did, they are simply insane. It doesn’t matter if there’s a passing opportunity or not, if the line is free or not, they just go for it and simply ram into me as I brake for the corner. At the moment they are worse than the most aggresive real players simply because there’s more of them and they don’t care if they crash alongside you or not. Add to that their absolutely ridiculous straight line speed and every race with slow corners is a gamble...i get taken out of the race or catapulted outside the track by AI cars so damn often.... this is suppose to be a “duel” (meaning 2 opponents) but it’s extremely rarely that I can actually fight the other player on track. The AI cars often decide the outcome. 

Hello, thank you for your feedback 🙂 

AI behaviour is something we've tweaked many times, based on player feedback, and we'll continue to do so, to try and further improve your experience during races. Our next update features some more AI behaviour optimisation; just a couple of days ago I was speaking to the team about this, and the plan is to make AI cars more consistent in their behaviour, and less likely to go for dangerous moves. Thanks again 🙂

1 hour ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

AI behaviour is something we've tweaked many times, based on player feedback, and we'll continue to do so, to try and further improve your experience during races. Our next update features some more AI behaviour optimisation; just a couple of days ago I was speaking to the team about this, and the plan is to make AI cars more consistent in their behaviour, and less likely to go for dangerous moves. Thanks again 🙂

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS chris.

and so far the whole community hasnt even seen a shred of improvements. the "improvements" have only made it worse

oh yeah hows that plan coming along? how long has it been in the pipeline now? 3 months? 6?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering, ridiculously aggressive behavior aside, why are the AI cars so fast on the straights? It's not even close to the real players' speed. 

Since this is called a DUEL (meaning "a contest between TWO opponents"), why are the AI challenging at all? Since the race is just one lap long (which is another big problem in my opinion, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have 3/5/10 lap duels available to better simulate a race), if there's one/two AI cars between me and my opponent and we are closely matched, there's really no real chance (except the AI going carmageddon on one of us) to catch the car in front in just one lap. Seems like it would be much better to have the AIs at something like 90% performance compared to the real players so we're not alone on track but let the real battle be between the real players. Furthermore, there's no point in them being so strong since there's nothing to gain by finishing 1st or finishing 10th. You just need to be in front of your real opponent.

To summarize my feedback:

• don't count crashes with the AI towards the Safety Rating of a player, especially given the AI's current state of insanity. It's infuriating to get rammed from behind by a crazy AI going for a move that was never going to happen, get thrown on the gravel, get slammed with a corner cut engine penalty and then see my safety rating dropped. It's ruining the game. I don't care if the other player is being aggressive with the AI cars, I just care if it's the kind of player that's gonna try and ram me of the road as I go past him.
  • make AI cars slower in duels to allow the duel to actually be a duel.
  • add some sort of deterant for players to ram into the back of the other player, something much more drastic then a safety rating drop or a temporary engine penalty. I see more and more the tactic of just not braking and ramming into the player in front at turn 1 of grid starts or sprint races at tracks where turn 1 is a slow turn (e.g. hungary, monza, spa etc). The other player just positions himself right behind me and rams into me as I'm braking. He gets stopped by the impact and can carry on while I end up on the gravel and lose 2-3s getting back on track. Seems like a "broken front wing, duel lost", similar to when you break a wheel would be more than adequate for very powerful front-to-rear impacts.
  • allow the selection of different race lengths. I would love to be able to play 3-5 lap duels where you can actually take your time and plan your attack rather than having to go with the desperate approach of "i have just half of lap to get past, it's all or nothing". 

22 minutes ago, WongYewXuan said:

ACTIONS speak louder than WORDS chris.

and so far the whole community hasnt even seen a shred of improvements. the "improvements" have only made it worse

oh yeah hows that plan coming along? how long has it been in the pipeline now? 3 months? 6?

To be fair, they did fix the grid starts which were the biggest problem.

Edited by Ice2k
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Ice2k said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just wondering, ridiculously aggressive behavior aside, why are the AI cars so fast on the straights? It's not even close to the real players' speed. 

Since this is called a DUEL (meaning "a contest between TWO opponents"), why are the AI challenging at all? Since the race is just one lap long (which is another big problem in my opinion, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have 3/5/10 lap duels available to better simulate a race), if there's one/two AI cars between me and my opponent and we are closely matched, there's really no real chance (except the AI going carmageddon on one of us) to catch the car in front in just one lap. Seems like it would be much better to have the AIs at something like 90% performance compared to the real players so we're not alone on track but let the real battle be between the real players. Furthermore, there's no point in them being so strong since there's nothing to gain by finishing 1st or finishing 10th. You just need to be in front of your real opponent.

To summarize my feedback:

• don't count crashes with the AI towards the Safety Rating of a player, especially given the AI's current state of insanity. It's infuriating to get rammed from behind by a crazy AI going for a move that was never going to happen, get thrown on the gravel, get slammed with a corner cut engine penalty and then see my safety rating dropped. It's ruining the game. I don't care if the other player is being aggressive with the AI cars, I just care if it's the kind of player that's gonna try and ram me of the road as I go past him.
  • make AI cars slower in duels to allow the duel to actually be a duel.
  • add some sort of deterant for players to ram into the back of the other player, something much more drastic then a safety rating drop or a temporary engine penalty. I see more and more the tactic of just not braking and ramming into the player in front at turn 1 of grid starts or sprint races at tracks where turn 1 is a slow turn (e.g. hungary, monza, spa etc). The other player just positions himself right behind me and rams into me as I'm braking. He gets stopped by the impact and can carry on while I end up on the gravel and lose 2-3s getting back on track. Seems like a "broken front wing, duel lost", similar to when you break a wheel would be more than adequate for very powerful front-to-rear impacts.
  • allow the selection of different race lengths. I would love to be able to play 3-5 lap duels where you can actually take your time and plan your attack rather than having to go with the desperate approach of "i have just half of lap to get past, it's all or nothing". 

To be fair, they did fix the grid starts which were the biggest problem.

to be fair, chris doesnt do anything for the game or for the forums except a generic "we're working on it" statement 

to be fair, the grid start problem could have been fixed in an hour. 

to be fair, thats all that they have done since the games released

to be fair, codemasters have never delivered anyways

to be fair why are we complaining

lol

To be fair, anything is easy if your not the one who has to do it 😜

The Bot's are much better than they used to be.  They did seem to take a step backwards last week.  But I really don't get the motivation for intentionally make the game appear to effectively look like bots have a punitive and unfair advantage against the players

I still get taken out of a race by a bot 10 times more than another player. I had one session where after I took the lead in a Sprint race, ten bots hit me from behind like I wasn't there.  So I wonder how connection speed/lag affects the variability  "User Experience" guessing the software may try to fill in gaps it where it has no data.  It took 20 races to get my SR back in the green after that one 🤣

For opponent collisions, since the accuracy of penalty assignment seems no better than 50/50 from my end.  What do the other players here think about applying the slow down to both players?  Then there would be less to no advantage using those tactics?

1 hour ago, StKnowhere said:

To be fair, anything is easy if your not the one who has to do it 😜

The Bot's are much better than they used to be.  They did seem to take a step backwards last week.  But I really don't get the motivation for intentionally make the game appear to effectively look like bots have a punitive and unfair advantage against the players

I still get taken out of a race by a bot 10 times more than another player. I had one session where after I took the lead in a Sprint race, ten bots hit me from behind like I wasn't there.  So I wonder how connection speed/lag affects the variability  "User Experience" guessing the software may try to fill in gaps it where it has no data.  It took 20 races to get my SR back in the green after that one 🤣

For opponent collisions, since the accuracy of penalty assignment seems no better than 50/50 from my end.  What do the other players here think about applying the slow down to both players?  Then there would be less to no advantage using those tactics?

back when the game first came out, the bots were fine

as are the ones in singleplayer mode.

why then are the ones in duels ridiculously bad? coincidence? i think not

dont even get me started on penalties. lately ive been getting random penalties on a straight adhering to the racing lane without touching anything. dont even know how the system works anymore

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, WongYewXuan said:

back when the game first came out, the bots were fine

as are the ones in singleplayer mode.

why then are the ones in duels ridiculously bad? coincidence? i think not

dont even get me started on penalties. lately ive been getting random penalties on a straight adhering to the racing lane without touching anything. dont even know how the system works anymore

All good points.

The "secret" SR system is the difference. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding of grid and qualifying races is to beat your opponent. I mention these two formats since they include the topic heading "Insane AI" They could be categorised as window dressing. They make up the numbers so it feels like a real race. Fair enough if they were a benign aspect of the race "against your opponent" which is in all honesty the only match that matters. You do not score extra points for coming first. Although, I think this would be a good idea. But as I just experienced in 3 of my last 5 races, my opponent failed to finish sector 1 and a DNF was the result. Seeing he was stationary in 12th I cruised around like your grandma on a Sunday picnic. But nothing is that simple is it. No. I also failed to finish as I was wiped out by the aforementioned Insane AI. So what am I supposed to do? No opponent. An opportunity to increase my SR, but the game is like the Terminator. It's even programmed to kill little old grannies driving carefully. Why am I simply not permitted to race my opponent? Why must I also race killer bots, who should I beat them, get nothing in return? Many valid points have been raised above. Discuss their implementation. This game is stagnant.

• Haha 1

The latest patch seems to have taken the game backwards. AI aggression. Car seems slower. Braking points shifted. Frequent connection issues. Starting up to 2sec behind opponent in qualifying/sprint races... basically déjà vu 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I've discovered a new bug. Grid start. Hold clutch, full revs on throttle.....release clutch..... nothing. Throttle has moved. By the time you find it (where's Wally?) you're in last place. Just like old times.

Edited by slayton

One more thing regarding the AI: when they go outside the track, stop making them rejoin by crossing the track at 90degrees, it’s virtually impossible to avoid the huge accident when they’re pulling a grosjean like that. 

• Sad 1

On 4/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, StKnowhere said:

All good points.

The "secret" SR system is the difference. 

So what is the secret to the SR? 

3 hours ago, Farroww said:

So what is the secret to the SR? 

How the number is generated and the impact on the game is proprietary.