Sign in to follow this  

After 123 hrs of DR2, I played DR1 for the first time

I bought dirt rally 1 a long time ago, but never played as I hadn't much time (thanks my beloved kids!).
I finally have more free time, so I started playing again, and I started with DR2.
At first I used my old fanatec turbo s (and clubsport pedal v1), but recently I upgraded to a fanatec 2.5 base, a bmw wheel, modded clubsport pedals v2, clubsport shifter and handbrake. 
I didn't care if people were comparing dirt rally 2 to dirt rally 1 all the time and say the latter was better. Why would it be true? It made no sense to me. How could the newer game be worse?
Then I launched dirt rally 1 and found these nice things:
- rally school. Why is gone in DR 2? It's super useful and it shows so much love and passion.
- menus settings description. Why no description in DR 2? It was just there in chapter 1. And it's so necessary.
- the FFB. OMG. I hadn't the slightest idea. I truly hadn't. How is it even possible dirt 2 came out in such a state? Is really dirt 2 coming from DR 1? What can I say it wasn't said before? I now understand people complaint. That's the most shocking aspect.
- wheel related again: soft lock is working fine in DR 1! Why it's not working in DR 2? I had to make a txt file and I have to constantly change wheel settings and it's so annoying
- again wheel, shifter setting: H and sequential pattern switch has an automatic setting in DR 1 (it's car related). Guess what? The setting is gone in DR2, and I have to change setting all the time. Again so annoying.
- steam worskshop. It was there in DR1. Guess what, DR2, gone.
- DR 1 has much more content. And I'm not going into details as that's so obvious. How is possible for chapter 2 to have less (I bought the deluxe edition)?
- italian translation is fine in DR1. Why so many errors in DR 2? They are so huge sometime I couldn't even understand what the original english words were. All codemaster had to do was copy and paste from dirt 1, why didn't they do that? That may not be the most important thing, but I think it has it's relevance to understand the game foundations and the level of attention they put in the sequel.

So in the end, is DR 2 really a sequel of DR 1?
Honestly, I don't believe so, and that's a shame because dirt rally 1 is a true gem, dirt rally 2 simply isn't. I now believe DR2 is just a console oriented game, meant to be played with a controller, and with basic and toyish whell support.
That's why the FFB, the not working soft lock, the missing shifter setting, the now gone steam workshop support aren't a problem for the developer. They passed quality control and that's fine. They didn't forget about those features. Proper wheel and PC owners, aren't the focus, they targeted console controller players. These aren't "bugs" waiting to be fixed, that's how the game was developed.
And that's fine, developers can do what they want.
But, be honest with us, why call it dirt rally 2.0 and not just dirt 5?
I wouldn't have bought a dirt 5 (I tried dirt 4 on the xbox, it was in the game pass, and it wasn't for me), but I was so stupid to fall for a DR2.
That's not fair.

EDIT: I forgot about steam workshop

Edited by Shocchiz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 8
  • Disagree 3

It also has a Dashcam which is missing from DR2. Who thought it was a great idea to have 2 cockpit cams basically the same in the new title? Baffling.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

I can sympathise with OP here, however I don't have a wheel so I cannot fully understand at the moment. As such I won't argue this point.

However, if I may interject a point of my own: I feel that the physics and car feel on DR2 is far superior to that of DR1. And, along a similar line, the stages more complete and immersive. Now, I am playing on PS4 with a controller so that immersion does not include the wheel with FFB issues so, again, that immersion that I feel would not be present for all.

And I loved DR1, with passion, racking up more hours than I can count, but I also love DR2 and recognise this as a worth successor if certain bugs, quirks and oversights are fixed. The game is not perfect, but it has the opportunity to be so.

I read a wonderful post that explained the different types of people that frequent this forum; the hopeful, the ignorant, the resigned and the wise. It was very well written and pretty spot on. I think I belong in the first category, and possibly stray into the second with some of my opinions.  

I will admit that some design choices for the game have been 'Baffling' to quote @FLAW3D, and I really do want to see these fixed things or lost features re-implemented but I do find it hard to outright deride DR2 as I have seen so many do. This game is great, but it could be perfect...and this is the source of frustration. I will just remain forever hopeful... which is not always such a bad thing.

My advice to the OP, in accordance with what I have written above, is to not stop campaigning for what you want and believe. And this thread exemplifies the way it should be done; with carefully considered opinions born of research and experience, as opposed to reviews such as 'Played it once. Game sucks. Don't buy'- we have all seen these, and good Lord it is frustrating waste of time to read those reviews and they only serve to damage the game rather than strengthen it. 

So threads such as this, though they may have negative connotations, should be seen as a positive. It is only the devs that can fix the game, but it is only our community that can bring about those fixes. Threads such as this can give us all a little hope... hopefully.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Shocchiz said:

is DR 2 really a sequel of DR 1?

No.

+ non informative, missing pacenotes and only one co-driver vioce  in DR 2.0 screws up the game

Edited by RallyLover19
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

52 minutes ago, Shocchiz said:

- DR 1 has much more content. And I'm not going into details as that's so obvious. How is possible for chapter 2 to have less (I bought the deluxe edition)?

I agree with everything you said except this, because DR 2.0 having less content is a myth. here are the details.

Rally - 6 in DR1 vs 6 in DR2... except DR2 has all the DLC tracks, which are very cheap if you don't have the deluxe already

RX - 3 tracks in DR1 vs 8 in DR2

Hillclimb is the only thing DR 1 has more of, because DR 2 doesn't have the license.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ianism said:

I agree with everything you said except this, because DR 2.0 having less content is a myth. here are the details.

Rally - 6 in DR1 vs 6 in DR2... except DR2 has all the DLC tracks, which are very cheap if you don't have the deluxe already

RX - 3 tracks in DR1 vs 8 in DR2

Hillclimb is the only thing DR 1 has more of, because DR 2 doesn't have the license.

Thanks, feel free to correct me, I haven't played DR1 as much as I played DR2, so I might not have the clearest picture.

I was mostly referring to Hillclimb (I don't toch RX events very much), which is a lot of content to me.

43 minutes ago, Sammoo said:

I can sympathise with OP here, however I don't have a wheel so I cannot fully understand at the moment. As such I won't argue this point.

However, if I may interject a point of my own: I feel that the physics and car feel on DR2 is far superior to that of DR1. And, along a similar line, the stages more complete and immersive. Now, I am playing on PS4 with a controller so that immersion does not include the wheel with FFB issues so, again, that immersion that I feel would not be present for all.

And I loved DR1, with passion, racking up more hours than I can count, but I also love DR2 and recognise this as a worth successor if certain bugs, quirks and oversights are fixed. The game is not perfect, but it has the opportunity to be so.

I read a wonderful post that explained the different types of people that frequent this forum; the hopeful, the ignorant, the resigned and the wise. It was very well written and pretty spot on. I think I belong in the first category, and possibly stray into the second with some of my opinions.  

I will admit that some design choices for the game have been 'Baffling' to quote @FLAW3D, and I really do want to see these fixed things or lost features re-implemented but I do find it hard to outright deride DR2 as I have seen so many do. This game is great, but it could be perfect...and this is the source of frustration. I will just remain forever hopeful... which is not always such a bad thing.

My advice to the OP, in accordance with what I have written above, is to not stop campaigning for what you want and believe. And this thread exemplifies the way it should be done; with carefully considered opinions born of research and experience, as opposed to reviews such as 'Played it once. Game sucks. Don't buy'- we have all seen these, and good Lord it is frustrating waste of time to read those reviews and they only serve to damage the game rather than strengthen it. 

So threads such as this, though they may have negative connotations, should be seen as a positive. It is only the devs that can fix the game, but it is only our community that can bring about those fixes. Threads such as this can give us all a little hope... hopefully.

Thanks for your reply.

I honestly love Dirt Rally series, that's why I spent my time to open the thread instead of doing something else. And I still hope for DR2 to reach DR1. But when will it happen (assuming it will)? That's not a trivial question, why whould we wait? It's like those Nvidia RTX patches, what's the point of releasing a RTX patch when nobody plays the game anymore?

In the end I believe the game is much much worse for PC (with wheels) players, and that's something you should experience in person to understand how bad it is. I now know having played DR1, which I hadn't played before.

Try to picture this: you start a race, the car doesn't steer properly, oh I forgot to change wheel rotation setting in the wheel menu, why isn't passing to 3rd gear? oh I forgot to go in the menu and select H pattern. Then there's the FFB, and I won't even comment on this, as the developer clearly didn't care to properly implement it. It really reminds me of how FF worked on the xbox 360 and the microsoft wheel: rumble (only if you have a fanatec wheel with rotors, as the wheels take care of faking engine vibrations, otherwhise the wheel is dead) and force to bring back the whell to the center, that's it. Then you have DR1, everything works fine, every car has its perfectly balanced wheel rotation, shifter is fine, FFB is simply amazing.

How could anyone expect all this to disappear in chapter 2?

EDIT: just look at my wheel angle file. And I made some semplifications, as cars usually don't have exact 540 or 900 degrees wheel rotation (M1, for example, is about 840). I'm matching wheel rotation in interior car view.

---
Lancia Fulvia
Renault 5 Turbo
Volkswagen Golf GTI
Fiat 131 Abarth
Renault Alpine
Opel Kadett
Audi Sport Quattro
Lancia Delta HF Integrale

---

Peugeout 205 Gti
Skoda Fabia Rally
Citroen C4 Rally
Mitsubishi Space Star R5
Subaru WRX Sti NR4
Porsche
Opel Adam R2
BMW M1 Procar Rally

Edited by Shocchiz

5 minutes ago, Shocchiz said:

Thanks for your reply.

I honestly love Dirt Rally series, that's why I spent my time to open the thread instead of doing something else. And I still hope for DR2 to reach DR1. But when will it happen (assuming it will)? That's not a trivial question, why whould we wait? It's like those Nvidia RTX patches, what's the point of releasing a RTX patch when nobody plays the game anymore?

In the end I believe the game is much much worse for PC (with wheels) players, and that's something you should experience in person to understand how bad it is. I now know having played DR1, which I hadn't played before.

Try to picture this: you start a race, the car doesn't steer properly, oh I forgot to change wheel rotation setting in the wheel menu, why isn't passing to 3rd gear? oh I forgot to go in the menu and select H pattern. Then there's the FFB, and I won't even comment on this, as the developer clearly didn't care to properly implement it. It really reminds me of how FF worked on the xbox 360 and the microsoft wheel: rumble (only if you have a fanatec wheel with rotors, as the wheels take care of faking engine vibrations, otherwhise the wheel is dead) and force to bring back the whell to the center, that's it. Then you have DR1, everything works fine, every car has its perfectly balanced wheel rotation, shifter is fine, FFB is simply amazing.

How could anyone expect all this to disappear in chapter 2?

I am sure this is frustration, and I feel for you there. It is my hope that these things will be fixed and, obviously, I agree that this shouldn't be the case as the game should have been perfect upon release. However, I may suggest that this is a trend, rightly or wrongly, that is seen across the entire industry at the moment- Personally, I hate this new aspect of gaming but it comes with the double edged sword of allowing patches and DLC so take the good with the bad?? I digress.

I would very much like to have a PC, wheel, pedals etc... to experience what it is that the majority of players do. Honestly, I feel at a disadvantage most times being a console and controller gamer... but one day I will bite the bullet and fork over the cash for this equipment.

For now, all we can do as a community is make our collective voices heard and there are a few leaders out there who actively work to rally (Pardon the pun) people around them. One such example I can think of is a user called Riggs, but there are a few others. I would suggest that you look out for their threads as they are usually on the pulse of things and do seem to have an influence within the community.

Never stop campaigning for what you want. And if you continue to write as you did in your first post then you will be taken seriously, along with your opinions.

Grimmi36 are you the hired guy who is working for CM?  😄
You always put a Disagree sign for every negative posts... Interesting.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

Can not agree. Dirt Rally 1 suffered fatally from floaty, finicky physics and handling. Nothing changes that fact. The new game has superb handling. Whatever some armchair experts might say about tarmac or whatever. As a rally game it is totally superior to the first.

Once the graphics and FFB are updated, and some options introduced (FoV, maybe bloom and AI) then everyone on here will be in no dispute. This day will come in the coming months I am nearly certain.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Can not agree. Dirt Rally 1 suffered fatally from floaty, finicky physics and handling. Nothing changes that fact. The new game has superb handling. Whatever some armchair experts might say about tarmac or whatever. As a rally game it is totally superior to the first.

Once the graphics and FFB are updated, and some options introduced (FoV, maybe bloom and AI) then everyone on here will be in no dispute. This day will come in the coming months I am nearly certain.

Looks like you literally read nothing of my post, which never mentions physics and handling, and just came here to say how wonderful DR2 is compared to DR1.

Good for you and thanks for stopping by.

Edited by Shocchiz
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, RallyLover19 said:

Grimmi36 are you the hired guy who is working for CM?  😄
You always put a Disagree sign for every negative posts... Interesting.

1 hour ago, FLAW3D said:

Hes defo a unhappy dev i noticed it weeks ago 🤣

Haha glad someone else noticed 😂😂

Grimmi36 has no posts and his voting barely makes any sense. Weird...

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Shocchiz said:

my post, which never mentions physics and handling

And you expect replies here to take your post seriously? You attempt to appraise DR2.0 as a sequel, and do not address physics and handling?

Good for you, and thanks for stopping by the forums.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Disagree 3

3 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

And you expect replies here to take your post seriously? You attempt to appraise DR2.0 as a sequel, and do not address physics and handling?

Good for you, and thanks for stopping by the forums.

Calm down, warrior, it was a post about missing features and console centric developement.

Really sorry you missed that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

The FOV is killing me right now that and the first cockpit cam is too far away and on consoles we cannot move the camera forward enough in the other cockpit cam.

I tried the bonnet cam but its so strange and so high up. Bumper cam is waaaaaay to low down. 

Hopefully FOV settings are not far away.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

Yes, and that was Dirt Rallys major flaw. Whereas DR2.0 has multiple of those at the moment (FFB, People still loosing progress, many, many, many features not available in DR2.0, performance-issues, bad AI, bad visuals on consoles etc.).........I too think that at this point DR is still the superior package. Not handling/physics-wise (which is of course pretty important), but almost everything else.

What may or may NOT come in a couple of months is not important when you say that you prefer DR at THIS point in time. 

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 4

oh my god... it seems like every thread descends into these kind of debates.

this is incredibly tiring.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 3

Just now, ianism said:

oh my god... it seems like every thread descends into these kind of debates.

this is incredibly tiring.

Well, what did you expect in a thread that is literally comparing DR1 to DR2.0. I understand that it can be tiring to read the same stuff over and over in threads that have nothing to do with this topic, but that´s not the case here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sammoo said:

Hear, hear! I think that Dirt Rally 2.0 really is a proper successor to the first. The cars have some proper weight to them, you can get the back end sideways and snake your way through NZ or Monaco and it feels alive. The courses feel more interactive with the cars. DR2.0 is certainly flawed. There were/are some graphics errors that seem a step back from the previous games. Some of the lighting choices are questionable. The online career mode is definitely polarizing. But, overall, I think the game has a solid beginning and CM is supposed to be looking into a lot of the concerns, so I definitely will hold off on final judgement for Dirt Rally 2.0 until it becomes apparent CM isn’t going to invest further on tweaks and the like. When I got Dirt rally 1, it was the console port (Xbox one player here) so a lot of it was a mostly finished product, with testing by the community. Is Dirt Rally 2.0 complete yet? Hopefully not. But, all great games have to start somewhere and this one certainly isn’t worth giving up on. 

• Agree 4

"Then I launched dirt rally 1 and found these nice things:

- rally school. Why is gone in DR 2? It's super useful and it shows so much love and passion."

Dirt rally dosent have a rally school.  Dirt 4 does. Are you mixing these games

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, kellemann said:

"Then I launched dirt rally 1 and found these nice things:

- rally school. Why is gone in DR 2? It's super useful and it shows so much love and passion."

Dirt rally dosent have a rally school.  Dirt 4 does. Are you mixing these games

What? It's the bottom right box in the first menu. I didn't check D4.

"After 123 hours"

Is there any statistics available for consolegamers how long you played game?
I have maby 200 hours but that´s just guessing.

When you buy used car there is km how much it´s droven, but you can´t get that kind on info about your cars at carage.
It would be nice to know how much drove with each car.

Finland and Wales are superb at DR1, and those FFB effect feels great!

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SimFunny said:

"After 123 hours"

Is there any statistics available for consolegamers how long you played game?
I have maby 200 hours but that´s just guessing.

When you buy used car there is km how much it´s droven, but you can´t get that kind on info about your cars at carage.
It would be nice to know how much drove with each car.

Finland and Wales are superb at DR1, and those FFB effect feels great!

On pc I just check steam (I'm at 128hrs now).

On console I found this

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/8zs596/is_there_a_way_to_check_amount_of_game_time_played/

and this

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/76119140

I don't think there's a way to know how long you drove a specific car (but km/miles go up, so for used car you should write it down if you want to know)

• Like 1