Jump to content

How Far Away Is Realistic Audio?

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Why would they add a 'Remove helmet' option when wearing a helmet is mandatory in motorsport?

This is not real life its a game. Why have loads of puddles on track but no audio when you go through them? Yep its a game.

Other sims do this why would it be so bad for you being an option?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Ahh, you're using a surround setup, ok.¬† Oh, go check a rear engined car ūüôā¬†

Some cars engine audio is out of balance, it's too loud vs other sounds (it's being worked on), some speaker setups suffer more from this than others for example, even on the cars with (too) loud engine audio, i have zero issues understanding Phil.

Cockpit shouldn't sound muffled, i wonder if in surround setup somethings different? try setting your system to stereo for as test.

Rear cams shouldn't play anything from the rear speakers, there's nothing behind you...

So the game is not simulating having a helmet on? Its defo muffled this end compared to the other views. Phil however is crystal clear compared to all other audio.

I dont play chase cam just seeing the difference in audio between the views.

Do you work for Codies mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No i don't work for Codies, i do chat with one of the sound devs though.

I don't believe helmet audio is intentionally simulated, but i've never talked about that - i will say that internal audio is not muffled on my system - you're either experiencing a bug, a sound system setup issue, or using the wrong term to describe it.  To me, the compressor effect used to simulate the cabin of a stripped out race car is accurate.  Remember Phil's audio is coming through a headset, you just can't hear someone talking in the car.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

Do you work for Kylotonn?

W t f?

Edited by FLAW3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

No i don't work for Codies, i do chat with one of the sound devs though.

I don't believe helmet audio is intentionally simulated, but i've never talked about that - i will say that internal audio is not muffled on my system - you're either experiencing a bug, a sound system setup issue, or using the wrong term to describe it.  To me, the compressor effect used to simulate the cabin of a stripped out race car is accurate.  Remember Phil's audio is coming through a headset, you just can't hear someone talking in the car.

What system are you on? PS4 Pro here. It certainly sounds like they are simulating wearing a helmet. Just had a quick shot of PCARS 2 and in cockpit its crystal clear but in helmet cam it becomes "muffled" as the sound is changed even though its still a cockpit camera very similar to both cockpit cams in 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohh, i'm on PC.  I know the PS has speed issues, it might just be the way the audio has to be on that system, the processing of the cabin audio is CPU intensive so you might not be hearing the exact same i'm hearing.

The sound should indeed change, it should sound like it's reverberating around a small tinny space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The audio sounds real nice through my headset with headset audio. The only car I find too quiet is the manta. But I think that's a bug. 

 

I'd love some exhaust and extra gravel sounds , maybe an option to go to 150 on the sounds so as not to lose engine sounds finding the balance you like. I dunno. The sounds are generally something special though.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manta is getting a db tweak in next weeks patch.

The 'balance' of sounds is a weird one, trust me, remember not hearing surface sounds as much until last patch?  Yeah, that wasn't because they weren't loud enough, it was because the engine sounds were too loud, that's part of what someone mentioned earlier, some cars are too loud inside, on those you'll notice that surface sounds seem quieter too, it's not that they're quieter, it's the engine sound overpowering them.

We do have sound sliders, they don't go to 11, but you can compensate, don't have them all at 100, drop them all down a few notches, whichever effect you want more of, leave at the top.¬† Now some of this can/will change as the remaining cars get their engine audio put back into balance again.¬† Examples of the cars with the incorrect engine balance are the Fabia WRC and the C4 WRC, the M1 Rallye and the Manta are at the correct level (Manta pending tweak next week)¬† There are many others where the sound level is right, and some older ones, like the 6R4, that are still too loud (though i hate to turn that baby down ūüėȬ†)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Ohh, i'm on PC.  I know the PS has speed issues, it might just be the way the audio has to be on that system, the processing of the cabin audio is CPU intensive so you might not be hearing the exact same i'm hearing.

The sound should indeed change, it should sound like it's reverberating around a small tinny space.

Thats exactly what im looking for but thats defo not what im getting. 

What do you mean speed issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

The audio sounds real nice through my headset with headset audio. The only car I find too quiet is the manta. But I think that's a bug. 

 

I'd love some exhaust and extra gravel sounds , maybe an option to go to 150 on the sounds so as not to lose engine sounds finding the balance you like. I dunno. The sounds are generally something special though.

We dont have a slider that would increase exhaust audio though do we? But yeah the gravel sounds sound fantastic in bumper cam but too low everyother view.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Project Cars has multiple camera views and there's three inside the cockpit. One sort of as if it's from the backseat in the middle and two headcam views. One of which is with a helmet on (you can see the edge of the helmet) and one not. The helmet view is more muffled. So again, it can be done.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cafe5150 said:

Project Cars has multiple camera views and there's three inside the cockpit. One sort of as if it's from the backseat in the middle and two headcam views. One of which is with a helmet on (you can see the edge of the helmet) and one not. The helmet view is more muffled. So again, it can be done.

Yeah i feel both cockpit cams in DR2.0 is similar to PCARS helmet cam in that they are both muffled and muffle the engine and enviorment audio just that bit too much. Id like raw cockpit audio. 

We could have different audio between systems. We will need to compare direct capture videos of identical cars and tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

Thats exactly what im looking for but thats defo not what im getting. 

What do you mean speed issues?

Exactly what i said in the quote, the sound processing for the cabin effect is CPU intensive, consoles don't have the same power as the PC in that regard - remember the game's primary aim is 60fps, everything else is tailored around getting that.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Manta is getting a db tweak in next weeks patch.

For that message I was waiting. You saved my day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Exactly what i said in the quote, the sound processing for the cabin effect is CPU intensive, consoles don't have the same power as the PC in that regard - remember the game's primary aim is 60fps, everything else is tailored around getting that.

Sorry i misread your post and only seen it as speed issues. 2 bottles of Red will do that. 

Yeah this is a huge issue with the Pro n X as they still use the awful Jaguar cpu. So the title of my thread did make sense  despite people trying to tie me down to putting the game down. I mind the SMS sound engineer talking about how sound was a CPU hog. (all bottom end is missing from the PS4 Pro version) With 2.0 right now if you have a decent PC your getting a more realistic sound by the sounds of it but us console peasants are still quite a number of years away. People are too quick to jump on the defensive band wagon. 

"How far away is realistic audio" quite a while away for the majority of us it seems.

Cheers for taking the time out for decent replies unlike Skiddy who's actually hired by Codies who would rather just take pop shots.¬†ūüĎć

 

Edit: Being a music producer/dj and artist manager / agent for me sound is something that stands out every single bit as gameplay and graphics if not more. Of course not everyone values sound the same and its way down the pecking order and maybe i need to pair back my expectations but again im not expecting pure realistic sound right now just asking how far away it is.

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 11:45 PM, FLAW3D said:

One of DRs most impressive features is without a doubt the sound. However watching videos of on board cameras its still a long long way off from being realistic and thats a common theme with sims throughout. 

Just how far away are we from getting sound like this?

That sound with VR next gen would be such an exhilarating experience but are we still 10 years away or more? Could we see realistic sound next gen?

The sound in DR2.0 is amazing, but the only issue here is the lack of straight cut gears whistle and the sound of gearbox, something like this... 

Maybe is difficult to add this type of sound but it would be more "realistic".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s pretty pointless posting on board videos because that’s not what you hear when actually in the car with your helmet on. 

 

One thing id like to hear is more gravel and kick up sounds on smaller/older cars. They don’t ride as high as R5’s so you get much more sounds of gravel hitting the underside of the car

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RallyDriven said:

It’s pretty pointless posting on board videos because that’s not what you hear when actually in the car with your helmet on. 

 

One thing id like to hear is more gravel and kick up sounds on smaller/older cars. They don’t ride as high as R5’s so you get much more sounds of gravel hitting the underside of the car

I have been saying this, but apparently it's not what OP wants. :classic_laugh:

I did turn the engine volume down and surface volume up, so I get good amount of gravel hitting the underside. 

I used to compete in rallycross type of racing series and it was really a great sound when first you hear engine so loud and clear when accelerating from starting grid and then going to gravel part and the rocks and dirt start to hit the underside of the car. :classic_cool:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It‚Äôs pretty pointless posting on board videos because that‚Äôs not what you hear when actually in the car with your helmet on.ÔĽŅ

I'm not sure if those sounds are completely cutted out once you wear the helmet, they are very loud.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Murikka said:

I have been saying this, but apparently it's not what OP wants. :classic_laugh:

I did turn the engine volume down and surface volume up, so I get good amount of gravel hitting the underside. 

I used to compete in rallycross type of racing series and it was really a great sound when first you hear engine so loud and clear when accelerating from starting grid and then going to gravel part and the rocks and dirt start to hit the underside of the car. :classic_cool:

Yeah you often don’t realise how loud gravel is until you come onto a tarmac section and everything goes quiet!

28 minutes ago, AleCruz97 said:

I'm not sure if those sounds are completely cutted out once you wear the helmet, they are very loud.

 

It doesn’t completely cut everything out, but the loudest noise you have in the car is gravel followed by engine noise. Obviously your co driver is right in your ear, although I’m normally the one doing the talking so I don’t really know what that’s like!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

It doesn’t completely cut everything out, but the loudest noise you have in the car is gravel followed by engine noise. Obviously your co driver is right in your ear, although I’m normally the one doing the talking so I don’t really know what that’s like!

 

I thought they could replace the horrible whistle (same annoying whistle in every car of the game) in onboard cameras with a more accurate one, like the sound in the video (taking the fabia r5 as an example), I dont want the engine to be louder but more accurate :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a different diff whine in each car, though obviously some are repeated, try capturing that from engine audio recordings, has to be one of the most difficult things to capture and attach to the game, think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

It's a different diff whine in each car, though obviously some are repeated, try capturing that from engine audio recordings, has to be one of the most difficult things to capture and attach to the game, think about it.

Never said it's easy to do, I'm talking about this because it would be a nice add to the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
1
On 4/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, FLAW3D said:

...Bumper & Bonnet/Roof cam - The sound is crystal clear, You hear every single stone and leaf you go over with tons of sound coming from the back speakers. You hear the exhaust n the pops n bangs a bit. 

The 2 Cockpit cams - Muffled. Without a doubt they are simulating the helmet being on the driver hence it does not sound anywhere near as brutal as the on board rally vids we see. Back speakers turn very low with barely anything coming out of them and the leaves and stones in the cockpit are very low compared to Bumper...
 

 

 

This was also the case in the last game(s?) I remember the sound in some cars would get "better" after knocking a door off. A definite drawback to using the driver's view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×