Sign in to follow this  

Which steering wheel? Question about the difficulty

Hello Guys,

I'm new to this forum and also new in F1 2018. I have a question about the steering wheel. Because I had an eye on the "Trumaster TMS Force Feedback". My Question is: Do you buy a steering wheel with a gearshift as pedal or do you use a key on the steering wheel for shifting? Because paying 50€ more for a pedal is very much.

Now to the difficulty level: At the moment I drive at Level 62 and can barly keep up with the first places. If Hamilton has the pole position and I don't drive the first curves perfect, I have no chance of reaching him the whole game. Even at the start 3 drivers pass me right away. For your information, I use every driving assists but the breaks, because I can't adjust the speed with my old controller. Because of that I can't drive without traction control (...) without a wheelspin. Thats why I thought about buying a steering wheel.

Is it true that you just can play on higher difficulty levels if you have all the driving assists turned off, with a newer contoller or a steering wheel to contol all functions like shifting gears up an down, clutch and use the DRS or am I just not good enough yet?

Greetings Riznek

The steering wheel has 2 paddles at the back for shifting, the right gone gears up and the left one gears down, if thats what you meant. The peddals are a must have, pretty much obligatory if ypu want to use a steering wheel. Driving without assists only makes you faster if you know how to control the car, I recommend you to go from all the assists to no assists progresevely. With time and practice you will improve a lot. I currently play at 95% difficulty with traction control and anti-lock brakes only.

Hope to have helped you :D

I mean the pedals for the feet 😄 so is it worth to buy a pedal for coupling/clutching or do you couple/clutch with a key on the steering wheel. Or is it not worth to couple anyway?

I'm from germany and I its a little bit hard for me to explain 😄  

For the clutch just use a button on the wheel or automatic in game. Don't need to buy another pedal for the clutch. I think the clutch in the game is represented as On/OFF and not as progressive so using a pedal will be the same as using a button, but I'm not completely sure about that.

1 hour ago, Riznek said:

I mean the pedals for the feet 😄 so is it worth to buy a pedal for coupling/clutching or do you couple/clutch with a key on the steering wheel. Or is it not worth to couple anyway?

I'm from germany and I its a little bit hard for me to explain 😄  

You can use the upshift paddle as a clutch too, so that way you can do easy starts.
And for the ai diffucilty no, using no assists wont make you faster in the older f1 codies games asists was slowing you down but in the new games since 17 i think assists make you go faster espacialiy in 2018 as its the most sim one and the rears can slide easily. Its all about practice first use only %50tc and no abs then move up to no tc. At the first i was at %90 but when i get used to how the car feels now i can do %106 ai.
Good luck ! 😛

Edited by Auryel27

Ok thanks guys. Do you guys know the Thrumaster TMS Force Feedback or do you recommend some steering wheels ? (For PC)

Edited by Riznek

1 minute ago, Riznek said:

Ok thanks guys. Do you guys know the Thrumaster TMS Force Feedback or do you recommend some steering wheels ? (For PC)

I'm currently using a G27 by Logitech, and sadly no i dont know hows the TMS FB is.
If you can tell me your budget I'll be happy to help you.

8 minutes ago, Riznek said:

If you have budget https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels/csl-elite-f1-set-officially-licensed-for-ps4-usa.html this will be a really good wheel. The FFB in this thing is great and its a official licensed wheel :)

Note: You NEED to buy a SEPARATE pedal set. And for the pedals you can go for this since from what i understand you will only play f1 and you dont need a clutch. https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals-usa.html

Edited by Auryel27

😄 this is to much. The TMX Force Feedback costs 162€ so I would say something around this

In $ it is 182$

Edited by Riznek

17 minutes ago, Riznek said:

😄 this is to much. The TMX Force Feedback costs 162€ so I would say something around this

In $ it is 182$

If you have 182$ go for this but be quick sale can end 😛 https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Force-Feedback-Racing-PlayStation-4/dp/B014US02ZA/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=logitech%2Bg27&qid=1555172090&s=gateway&sr=8-13&th=1

1 minute ago, Riznek said:

Yo thanks I will think about it 😉 thanks for helping me out

No problem ! 😄 Also the TMX is the xbox version the T150 so if you can get the t150RS you will be on profit 😛

43 minutes ago, Riznek said:

I'm currently using the Logitech G29 and it's pretty good for what it costs 

I use the G29 so can only comment on this product. I consider myself a consistent and fast driver but no expert or alien. The paddle shifts on the wheel are indeed by default assigned to gear changes AND the clutch, which is kinda cheating I guess but whatever it's close enough. I drive the McLaren in career at AI 70 which places me in the top ten positions by the end of a full length race. Obviously this is not realistic but it's nice to have the chance of winning if I have a brilliant race, plus I increase the AI difficulty after each car upgrade to make it more challenging as the car gets faster. I now use the elite (no assists) setting plus recently started using 2 feet to drive. Left foot brake, right on gas. This has made a huge difference to how smooth I drive. I actually configured the clutch pedal as the brake which gives it much more travel and sensitivity. A piece of foam is wedged behind the pedal to simulate progressively increasing brake resistance. 

When I started F1 2017 I used TC and ABS but once my McLaren was fully upgraded I tried taking them off to add challenge and boy was the game suddenly a whole lot more fun! Until then with assists the game is not a world away from Mario Kart or Wipeout, but with assists off you suddenly feel the power of your car and can imagine being sat in that multi million dollar machine for real, with stunning amounts of power at your toe tips! Turning off ABS is actually pretty easy and fun as you only need learn one real trick to avoid locking the wheels, hard braking reduced to minimal as your speed drops approaching the corner. TC removed improves your lap times after you've put in a lot of practice because it teaches you pretty fast how to take the smoothest line around the track so you can add full throttle as soon as possible after apexes without spinning out. With ABS and TC on it'd too easy to get in the bad habit of slamming on the brakes, throwing the wheel around a corner then slamming on the gas. The car can't break the laws of physics so even though the aids will stop you spinning they csnt make you go FASTER. Only smooth driving will do that so those aids actually slow you down by letting you lay down full gas while in 3rd gear on a sharp left corner exit. It literally stops that power getting to the wheels while instead you should be lining the car up for a smoother exit first THEN smoothly and quickly laying down full throttle. 

To people learning to drive without assists the most fun way to learn is to drop that AI difficulty way down to 0 if you need to. Make it so getting round the track without spinning will win the race even if you are slow because you WILL speed up a lot with practice so increase AI whenever you win a race for example. 

I couldn't imagine any racing game without a wheel now, wish I'd gone one when I was much younger instead of waiting to my retirement! (yes old people can race and learn new tricks too lol!) 

Thanks for the advices guys 😉 

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

I use the G29 so can only comment on this product. I consider myself a consistent and fast driver but no expert or alien. The paddle shifts on the wheel are indeed by default assigned to gear changes AND the clutch, which is kinda cheating I guess but whatever it's close enough. I drive the McLaren in career at AI 70 which places me in the top ten positions by the end of a full length race. Obviously this is not realistic but it's nice to have the chance of winning if I have a brilliant race, plus I increase the AI difficulty after each car upgrade to make it more challenging as the car gets faster. I now use the elite (no assists) setting plus recently started using 2 feet to drive. Left foot brake, right on gas. This has made a huge difference to how smooth I drive. I actually configured the clutch pedal as the brake which gives it much more travel and sensitivity. A piece of foam is wedged behind the pedal to simulate progressively increasing brake resistance. 

When I started F1 2017 I used TC and ABS but once my McLaren was fully upgraded I tried taking them off to add challenge and boy was the game suddenly a whole lot more fun! Until then with assists the game is not a world away from Mario Kart or Wipeout, but with assists off you suddenly feel the power of your car and can imagine being sat in that multi million dollar machine for real, with stunning amounts of power at your toe tips! Turning off ABS is actually pretty easy and fun as you only need learn one real trick to avoid locking the wheels, hard braking reduced to minimal as your speed drops approaching the corner. TC removed improves your lap times after you've put in a lot of practice because it teaches you pretty fast how to take the smoothest line around the track so you can add full throttle as soon as possible after apexes without spinning out. With ABS and TC on it'd too easy to get in the bad habit of slamming on the brakes, throwing the wheel around a corner then slamming on the gas. The car can't break the laws of physics so even though the aids will stop you spinning they csnt make you go FASTER. Only smooth driving will do that so those aids actually slow you down by letting you lay down full gas while in 3rd gear on a sharp left corner exit. It literally stops that power getting to the wheels while instead you should be lining the car up for a smoother exit first THEN smoothly and quickly laying down full throttle. 

To people learning to drive without assists the most fun way to learn is to drop that AI difficulty way down to 0 if you need to. Make it so getting round the track without spinning will win the race even if you are slow because you WILL speed up a lot with practice so increase AI whenever you win a race for example. 

I couldn't imagine any racing game without a wheel now, wish I'd gone one when I was much younger instead of waiting to my retirement! (yes old people can race and learn new tricks too lol!) 

Thanks for this long post it makes me more confident so buy one 😉

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Riznek said:

Thanks for the advices guys 😉 

Thanks for this long post it makes me more confident so buy one 😉

Well its your own prefference but, the T150RS haves a quiter, stronger and more detailed ffb just saying 😛

48 minutes ago, Auryel27 said:

Well its your own prefference but, the T150RS haves a quiter, stronger and more detailed ffb just saying 😛

I prefer the tmx cause of the layout and the color of the keys. Looks more like a real F1 wheel 😛 

I think I will buy it and suffer while learning to control the car  😄 

On 4/13/2019 at 4:03 PM, Riznek said:

I prefer the tmx cause of the layout and the color of the keys. Looks more like a real F1 wheel 😛 

I think I will buy it and suffer while learning to control the car  😄 

You won't do a lot of suffering if you already have a basic idea of how the car reacts in low-grip/low-speed/high-speed situations, and how to counteract that. Even if it's just very basic. It'll take some practice to get used to, but you'll get there. Two years ago I started with a T150 and now I can't go back to pad, I would say it's definitely worth it.

Just a word of advice though, being that you own the Xbox version of the wheel we share; You're going to want to get rid of those stock pedals, real quick. When you do, go for the T3PAs non-pro. It's a cheaper upgrade than the T3PA Pros are and on my initial use I made up a second in the braking zones.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop another thread on the forums or send me a message.

1 hour ago, Sabba7h said:

You won't do a lot of suffering if you already have a basic idea of how the car reacts in low-grip/low-speed/high-speed situations, and how to counteract that. Even if it's just very basic. It'll take some practice to get used to, but you'll get there. Two years ago I started with a T150 and now I can't go back to pad, I would say it's definitely worth it.

Just a word of advice though, being that you own the Xbox version of the wheel we share; You're going to want to get rid of those stock pedals, real quick. When you do, go for the T3PAs non-pro. It's a cheaper upgrade than the T3PA Pros are and on my initial use I made up a second in the braking zones.

Good luck, and if you have any questions, feel free to drop another thread on the forums or send me a message.

Thanks for the advice. I already heard about the slippery plastic pedals. I think I will drive with naked feets 😄 

But I dont think I will buy any other cause I only play this game for fun. I dont even play multiplayer 😉

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Riznek said:

Thanks for the advice. I already heard about the slippery plastic pedals. I think I will drive with naked feets 😄 

But I dont think I will buy any other cause I only play this game for fun. I dont even play multiplayer 😉

No worries. If you aren't going to be playing competitively, then do whichever makes the most sense for you. I was under the impression you were going in that direction.