Question regarding damage settings.

I’ve been tweaking the game to my abilities over the last few days and I’m pretty happy with the results. However I felt like simulation level damage was a bit much.

So I’ve sort of grudgingly gone for full damage instead. What I’m curious to know is if this affects component failures i.e. engine/gearbox etc. Because whilst I want a less punishing experience, with regards to losing bits of aero at the start of every race - I still want non-accident related failures to occur?

Does anybody have any insight/experience with this?

I can't really help you because I've never played without simulated damage but I can tell you that I only had a gearbox problem once. I lost a gear when the gearbox had something like 75-80% damage. In general I start to feel the problems with the engine parts when they are in 80%. 

I played 4 seasons of 2017 plus half way through 2018 full races using full damage (actually didn't know sim damage option existed till recently lol) and can confirm worn parts definitely cause issues and failures on full. A worn gearbox will drop 1 or 2 gears during a session and sometimes get them back as well if you're lucky. Worn engine (ice) loses a lot of power, turbo too, plus overheating engine will have to run on reduced power (I guess the engineers turn this down to stop it seizing up). 

Plus if you run on an old engine long enough on full it will DEFINITELY blow up while you are on track... An interesting experience! Sadly you don't get to hop out of the car and push it to safety or over the finish line. It ends the same way as a crash except instead of a flashback you are back in the pits with the next working engine installed. It's race session over if it happens in a race. 

Skip to 5 mins to see what happens in a race. 

• Haha 1

"Sadly you don't get to hop out of the car and push it to safety or over the finish line."

oh yes you can but only in real life.

This was long ago. I have never seen a driver pushing his own car in the last twenty years. Why should it be in the game? 

Anyway to answer the question.  Full damage does have wear and tear failures and also it has random failures such as DRS fault, qualifying issues like leaks needing to be fixed.  As far as I am aware it affects how sensitive the car is to collisions.

Posted (edited)

I've been using Reduced damage for the first eight races of my first season. I'm making the switch to Full, but definitely won't try Simulation, as even on Reduced, IMO it's still relatively easy to damage the front wing.

Well, what I can say is I had both my practice and racing gearboxes missing gears when wear was at the 70's, so I think you should be fine.

Edited by Gonira

On 4/16/2019 at 1:50 PM, TuffGnarl said:

... However I felt like simulation level damage was a bit much.

I agree on that. You make a little mistake and break your little Front-Wing Endplate and all of a sudden the whole car becomes undriveable. 
Doesn't seem very realistic to me, seeing that many drivers can still drive a good race in the real sports even with damaged front wings, bargeboards and many other damaged aero components.

In our league we used to play with Simulation damage, but we switched to Full and it was a good decision.