1. 1. Essential - This NEEDS to be in patch 1.4

• Force Feedback fix - "work in progress" version
    • Force Feedback fix - "final" version
    • Lighting re-balance - dark areas during daylight / impossibly dark nights
    • AI re-balance and/or enhanced difficulty options
    • Tyre wear adjusted to make selection strategy meaningful
    • Running order re-balanced / customisation options introduced
    • Graphic effects toggles on console
    • HDR fixed on console. HDR included on PC.
    • Photo Mode
    • Sequential vs H-Pattern auto-selection
    • Analogue handbrake fix
    • Resilience when Racenet unavailable. Results should not be forfeited.
    • Increased time-of-day options (several more per 24hrs).
    • Ability to save replays
    • Fully customisable events in Career mode (DR1 Custom Championship)
  2. 2. Desireable - I would like this in patch 1.4, but it could come in a later patch

• Photo Mode
    • Analogue handbrake fix
  3. 3. Nicety - I would like this in a patch, but can live with it never coming.

• Photo Mode
    • Analogue handbrake fix

5 hours ago, ianism said:

@JesseDeya why am i mentioned? i haven't even read posted in this thread (though I did vote) and thus do not know what "piling on" you are referring to.

I only mentioned you because previously you (and RallyStu2) seemed to have a consistent problem with me (not this thread), I don't think that is the case anymore - there are now literally only three people who constantly troll my comments... and @Murikka who doesn't even have the gall to actually comment but just 👎 from the sideline, including - inexplicably - the summary of results I post just above.

2 hours ago, Pistro said:

Improved tarmac handling option is missing.

Yes, I should have included that. I honestly think that is a bigger problem with the game engine / physics model though, not sure we will ever get resolution on that. Hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, RodgerDavies said:

I'm all about time of day options, it can't be beyond the realm of possibility to add some morning and afternoon options.

Unless the lighting is baked-in for each time of day, which might mean a sizable increase to each map for each new TOD option? I still think it's worth it!

1 hour ago, JesseDeya said:

and @Murikka who doesn't even have the gall to actually comment but just 👎 from the sideline, including - inexplicably - the summary of results I post just above.

tumblr_njqh4fq4lU1tdy0nco1_500.gif

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I only mentioned you because previously you (and RallyStu2) seemed to have a consistent problem with me (not this thread), I don't think that is the case anymore - there are now literally only three people who constantly troll my comments... 

i literally don't remember (partially because people who don't have avatars don't stick out).

let me be clear: I don't troll anyone. I do not make personal attacks and did not have a problem with you (or anyone else here, for that matter), but am sorry if you took what I said as such. 

I just say what I think and if I disagree with you I just say how and why I think you are wrong.

that's all 🙂

Edited by ianism
  • Agree 3

After 3 days, probably indicative of final results now.

Total Votes

Most votes across essential & desirable categories:

1. Tyre wear adjustment (50 votes)
  2. Lighting re-balance (42 votes)
  3. Increased Time of Day options (42 votes)
  4. FFB fix "Final" (38 votes) *69 votes when combined with "FFB WIP"
  5. AI Re-balance (38 votes)

Most votes across all three categories:

1. Lighting re-balance (54 votes)
  2. Increased Time of Day options (54 votes)
  3. Tyre wear adjustment (52 votes)
  4. FFB fix "Final" (46 votes) *83 votes when combined with "FFB WIP"
  5. AI Re-balance (46 votes)

Popularity by priority

Essential Tier 1

• 12.89% - Lighting re-balance (up moderately from = 2nd)
  • 11.11% - AI re-balance (up slightly)
  • 10.67% - Tyre wear adjustment (down slightly from 1st)
  • 9.78% - Force Feedback WIP (down from = 2nd)

Essential Tier 2

• 8.89% - Racenet offline options (down slightly)
  • 7.56% - Force Feedback FINAL (down slightly)
  • 7.56% - Increased TOD options (down slightly)
  • 6.22% - HDR fixed on console, added to PC. (down slightly)

Desirable Tier 1

• 11.26 % - Increase TOD options (up slightly)
  • 11.71% - Tyre wear adjustment (up slightly)
  • 9.46% - Fully customisable career mode (down slightly)
  • 9.46% - Force Feedback FINAL (up slightly)

Desirable Tier 2

• 8.11% - Running order re-balance/customisation (up slightly)
  • 6.31% - HDR fixed on console, added to PC. (down slightly)
  • 5.86% - AI Re-balance (down slightly)
  • 5.86% - Photo mode (up moderately)
  • 5.86% - Lighting re-balance (up moderately)

Nicety Tier 1

• 16.67% - Save replays (up moderately)
  • 14.44% - Photo mode (down moderately)

Nicety Tier 2

• 8.33% - Graphic toggle on console (down slightly)
  • 7.22% - HDR fixed on console, added to PC. (up significantly)
  • 7.22% - Fully customisable career mode (up significantly)
  • 6.67% - Increased TOD options (up slightly)
  • 6.67% - Lighting re-balance (down slightly)
  • 6.11% - Running order re-balance/customisation (down slightly)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The issue with time variation is that there are only about 6-10 set conditions for each location. For example, there can be no way to have sunset and overcast in some locations. What they should add is a separate setting for each, which would give a ton more variety. With that, they can add more times and possibly more weathers.

Let's take a look at Argentina. You can have:

• Daytime / Clear / Dry Surface
  • Daytime / Overcast / Dry Surface
  • Daytime / Light Showers / Wet Surface
  • Daytime / Light Rain / Wet Surface
  • Sunset / Cloudy / Dry Surface
  • Dusk / Cloudy / Dry Surface
  • Dusk / Heavy Rain / Wet Surface
  • Night / Clear / Dry Surface

If you're wondering why there's very little variety, that's why. There's only 4 different time settings for all stages, and 7 different weathers. But if we look at DiRT 4, every location had full customization of time and weather, with 10 time settings and 13 weather settings (non-snow). There were 130 different possible combinations of time and weather on non-snow locations. So why have we gone all the way down to 6-10 per location?

Honestly, they probably can't change this now without a ton of work because they just don't have the work put into stage conditions. They didn't bother with time and weather for DR2 and now it would be too much to ask from CM for an update.

Edited by Clod22
removed words for accuracy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

FOV settings for consoles

I truly hope. Despite this being a recurring theme, I believe it altogether unlikely. With the list of things that need to be addressed as a priority, I can’t see ‘non-essential’ enhancements like this making the cut (anytime soon that is). This is unfortunate because our PC brethren enjoy the option and FOV settings clearly provide an advantage and affect stage times and drivability. Had they simply provided the dash cam, this would nullify (somewhat), the need for FOV adjustment...such a curious omission when you consider the overwhelming positive feedback said cam received after its implementation in DR1.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Buckwilder said:

I truly hope. Despite this being a recurring theme, I believe it altogether unlikely. With the list of things that need to be addressed as a priority, I can’t see ‘non-essential’ enhancements like this making the cut (anytime soon that is). This is unfortunate because our PC brethren enjoy the option and FOV settings clearly provide an advantage and affect stage times and drivability. Had they simply provided the dash cam, this would nullify (somewhat), the need for FOV adjustment...such a curious omission when you consider the overwhelming positive feedback said cam received after its implementation in DR1.

For sim heads its pretty essential. Right now its so wide way to wide compared to any other sims that i play. 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, FLAW3D said:

For sim heads its pretty essential.

Not disagreeing bro. Just saying in the long list of pressing needs and fixes, this is likely a back-burner effort. Once the game is running on all cylinders, this would be the cherry on top. Sooner better than later would be nice, I just don’t see it anytime soon 😐

30 minutes ago, Buckwilder said:

Not disagreeing bro. Just saying in the long list of pressing needs and fixes, this is likely a back-burner effort. Once the game is running on all cylinders, this would be the cherry on top. Sooner better than later would be nice, I just don’t see it anytime soon 😐

Its strange Codies think we all play with our noses pressed up against the screen with how wide they have made the default FOV.

Console gamers tend to sit much further back than me with a pad god knows how they manage. (Although prob most using chase cam lol)

• Haha 1

Yeah my whole racing cockpit is on a platform with castors, so I roll that sucker right up to within inches of my 65” Samsung 4K TV. Eyeballs to screen distance is about 3-4 feet so feels like I am right in the car!

• Agree 2

On 4/20/2019 at 6:30 AM, Clod22 said:

The issue with time variation is that there are only about 6-10 set conditions for each location. For example, there can be no way to have sunset and overcast in some locations. What they should add is a separate setting for each, which would give a ton more variety. With that, they can add more times and possibly more weathers.

-snipped for space-

If you're wondering why there's very little variety, that's why. There's only 4 different time settings for all stages, and 7 different weathers. But if we look at DiRT 4, every location had full customization of time and weather, with 10 time settings and 13 weather settings (non-snow). There were 130 different possible combinations of time and weather on non-snow locations. So why have we gone all the way down to 6-10 per location?

Honestly, they probably can't change this now without a ton of work because they just don't have the work put into stage conditions. They didn't bother with time and weather for DR2 and now it would be too much to ask from CM for an update.

actually, go check out historic championships in DR2. there's dawn and sunrise too, and daytime events can be in the morning (and it looks like morning). also, all of the different times of day (dusk, sunset, night, dawn, etc) can happen at different hours, like you can get a sunrise stage at 6am and another one at 7am.... and they look different, just like in Dirt 4. 

there aren't any more weather settings (I haven't kept a close check on whether there are more options for each time of day, but I think there aren't). but I do not understand why there aren't more times available outside of this one mode. possibly because the DLC locations only have the 'basic' 4 times of day at the moment?

anyways, I really, really want them to take the obvious next steps of bringing them to the other modes and adding more weather effects to the game and making each available at any time of day. it will improve replayability immensely, especially as we gradually get more and more locations to mess around with.

9 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

Yeah my whole racing cockpit is on a platform with castors, so I roll that sucker right up to within inches of my 65” Samsung 4K TV. Eyeballs to screen distance is about 3-4 feet so feels like I am right in the car!

Closest i can get with my GT Omega stand is 35 inches away due to the tv stand, Been thinking of putting my TV on a cantilever bracket for years but then where does the centre speaker, Skybox, PS4 Pro & Amp go? 😭

Posted (edited)

I'm not super optimistic about your chances of FOV changes on console. Here is the exchange in the 1.3 bug feedback thread.

Originally Cushing asked:

On 4/17/2019 at 1:47 PM, Jake Cushing said:

@CMMcBabe

Hi and sorry if we sound like a pack of baying dogs...

But could you indicate please if a FoV adjustment slider on consoles would be a simple thing? I understand it's been noted and submitted to production, but there's no indication it will ever see the light of day. NB, we just want to be able to lower the FoV from the default value, so this shouldn't affect frame-rates negatively?

Thanks for your time and the wonderful sim.

To which Codemaster's CMMcBabe replied...

On 4/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, CMMcBabe said:

Unlikely to be something that comes in the near future, it would be a lot of testing to ensure that it is not affecting performance or causing any issues.

I thought that was pretty dismissive (though consistent for this particular CM dude), and ignored the main complain of console users...

On 4/17/2019 at 9:15 PM, JesseDeya said:

I'm on PC so this doesn't affect me per se, but my understanding is that most console users want the ability to REDUCE FoV, to correct for cockpit view when close to the TV.

Given that can only improve performance is it not possible to implement sooner rather than later?

Not surprisingly, CM have not commented since. For a laugh though bn880 tried to argue that reducing FOV may also reduce FPS. I've never seen a LOD system tied to FOV, but even if there was he manages to argue against his own point (ie: at 30 FOV there is a LOD restriction, not increase). You gotta give it to some of these fans, they would defend their sand castle from a killer tsunami before admitting they built on the wrong beach.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, bn880 said:

That's not true, reducing the FOV may actually reduce performance depending on the LOD system of the sim.  It really may be extra work to reconfigure everything.   As an example at least on PC when I use a proper FOV of 30 degs (which is proper for most home setups) already you can see there is a LOD restriciton in place and the road looks blurred too early. They should bump that up, but not sure what the performance impact would be.

Seriously, "reducing FOV reduces frame rate" might be one of the funniest things I have ever read on this forum. Hold on, I'm going to benchmark it and see what happens!

Edited by JesseDeya

Posted (edited)

Ok, I'm going to have to eat some crow here.

From my quick benchmark it seems a wider FOV does indeed have a slightly better FPS than a narrower FOV. W T F IS HAPPENING CODEMASTERS!

I'm still not sure how or why that can be a thing, and it doesn't match the common understanding FOV vs Frame Rate for most games... but here it is (4k - mix of Ultra/High setting).

I did ~1:50 mins on Kaye Reverse (Australia) because the start is very straight, and it's an open stage with long view distances.

6hge3Re.png

MpSafzd.png

One thing I noticed was that with a super tight FOV the camera movement was unbearably shaky. I guess it makes sense, it's like looking through a zoom lense, but it sucked. I normally play at two clicks left of center.

Here is the default (middle setting) FOV for comparison.

EAn78zE.png

Edited by JesseDeya
Mislabeled images
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys there is the possibility that the graphics on xbox of less power is fixed ????:classic_sleep:

6 minutes ago, Thierry97 said:

Guys there is the possibility that the graphics on xbox of less power is fixed ????:classic_sleep:

Probably the wrong thread to ask that, but my guess is no. The Xbox One and One S are by far the weakest platforms this game has to run on, the PS4 (non-pro) is next. I think what you see now is the compromise they had to make to get it to run at an acceptable frame rate.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of FoV, thanks to a CHAMPION suggestion by @A-M-A-R-85, I have managed to reduce my FoV on the Xbox - by investigating my television zoom options. Although I don't have a completely adjustable zoom like a lot of TV sets do, what I am using is an 'overscan' mode, which zooms the image in, and thus reduces the FoV by perhaps 5 degrees, perhaps slightly more. And it makes a big, fat difference.

A BIG

FAT

DIFFERENCE

The road is now bigger, more easily seen, and my feeling of immersion has jumped right up, yay!

A software FoV would still be best as it would remove any built-in distortion to the image. But this distortion is most pronounced at the edges of the screen, and that is now invisible, yay!

I AM IN HOG RALLY HEAVEN NOW!!!!

@FLAW3D @Buckwilder and anybody else on the consoles, check out your TV zoom options, if you haven't already!

And hat-tip to A-M-A-R-85

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

Speaking of FoV, thanks to a CHAMPION suggestion by @A-M-A-R-85, I have managed to reduce my FoV on the Xbox - by investigating my television zoom options. Although I don't have a completely adjustable zoom like a lot of TV sets do, what I am using is an 'overscan' mode, which zooms the image in, and thus reduces the FoV by perhaps 5 degrees, perhaps slightly more. And it makes a big, fat difference.

A BIG

FAT

DIFFERENCE

The road is now bigger, more easily seen, and my feeling of immersion has jumped right up, yay!

A software FoV would still be best as it would remove any built-in distortion to the image. But this distortion is most pronounced at the edges of the screen, and that is now invisible, yay!

I AM IN HOG RALLY HEAVEN NOW!!!!

@FLAW3D and anybody else on the consoles, check out your TV zoom options, if you haven't already!

And hat-tip to A-M-A-R-85

Oh that is a good tip. Will need to see how good this works on my B7 later. 

FOV will still be the same but it should be way closer to a dashboard cam.

Oh sure, take your display and then just zoom/crop 25% of it to make it looks like %#@$%# to make up for Codemasters failure to provide FOV options.

Cool.

I get the desire, but this is cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Jesse, that is an actual, total overstatement. The game simply does not look like '#$@#@$' when you zoom in to reduce about 5-10 degrees of FOV. In fact, I can't see any difference at all, and I'm playing at 1080p. I'd imagine at 4k there would be zero visible difference. The Xbox One X image in this game is so crystal sharp and detailed to begin with.

'Cutting off your nose' implies a major trade-off in the process. The only real trade-off here is that if you zoom too much, you will lose information at the sides of the screen, so the speed dial might be half missing for example. But that isn't the case for the small zoom I've applied, as the dial is neatly in the right hand corner.

And as I said, the immersion, reduction of distortion and the ease of seeing the road is that much improved. It's close to perfect for me now.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

I'm not super optimistic about your chances of FOV changes on console. Here is the exchange in the 1.3 bug feedback thread.

Originally Cushing asked:

To which Codemaster's CMMcBabe replied...

I thought that was pretty dismissive (though consistent for this particular CM dude), and ignored the main complain of console users...

Not surprisingly, CM have not commented since. For a laugh though bn880 tried to argue that reducing FOV may also reduce FPS. I've never seen a LOD system tied to FOV, but even if there was he manages to argue against his own point (ie: at 30 FOV there is a LOD restriction, not increase). You gotta give it to some of these fans, they would defend their sand castle from a killer tsunami before admitting they built on the wrong beach.

Seriously, "reducing FOV reduces frame rate" might be one of the funniest things I have ever read on this forum. Hold on, I'm going to benchmark it and see what happens!

Surely being able to narrow the FOV would be beneficial for the engine and might see a performance increase? That should be the way it works right?

Edit: I should of read all of your post before posting. 

Looking at those FPS results theres not much difference really between Full Narrow and Full Wide. Even if we cannot get full options how about 3 or 4 clicks either way.

Edited by FLAW3D

Massive difference zooming in and way better. I have a huge issue though, The level of zoom is displayed in bright white for me bottom right which will burn into the tv 😭

20190422_190738.jpg

20190422_190822.jpg

@FLAW3D Does your remote have a button that says 'display' or 'Info' or 'I'? Pressing that twice may get rid of the zoom level number on screen.

6 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

@FLAW3D Does your remote have a button that says 'display' or 'Info' or 'I'? Pressing that twice may get rid of the zoom level number on screen.

It turned out the TV has a wealth of zoom options rather than the one i used. Zooming in i was knocking 8-12 seconds off my personal bests in time trial huge difference. Its not a proper fix though as the FOV is not changing neither is the sense of speed and the car feels way to fast.