GET RID OF THE GARBAGE RAIN GRAPHICS

Come on codies...its 2019.  Who in their right mind allowed the ridiculous rain graphic to pass development.  Its bad enough the headlights dont illuminate far enough in front of the car to push in the dark...then you add a sheet of white lines that looks like they are straight out of a sega genesis game from 1997 makes it impossible. Please for the love of god fix this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Agree 29
  • Disagree 1

I agree, and the voices on this haven't been loud enough yet. This should be as much priority as ffb & racenet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Light rain lools pretty decent. Think it shpuld just replace the heavy rain tbh.

• Agree 6

55 minutes ago, pigloaf said:

Me getting ready for a night stage in the rain

959093312.jpg.2bd42855c538caac3eea477597960b4d.jpg

In the heavy rain.

In the HE-

oh never mind.

Is this modifiable?

Might have to ask the Race Department folk. Dirt Rally one had accessible parameters and graphic files for rain, but I think in DR 2.0 it's wrapped in a nef. Hopefully someone smarter than me can tweak it - not sure CMs ever will.

So, it's as bad on PC as it is on the consoles? I thought it's because I play on standard PS4 and the rain is simplified. I miss the rain effect from D1 and D4 to be honest.

On one hand, I can agree it's ugly and not very pleasing to the eye. On the other hand, it definitely adds impediment to my driving as heavy rain should irl. lol Very challenging to see down the road as we all know. In that regards, it definitely seems to be working as intended it's just unpleasant to view and not very realistic looking. I wouldn't mind it as much but AI don't seem to be affected in the way we are which is frustrating at times, ok most times. Me personally, I'd be happy if they A. leave it as it is but adjust AI stage times to reflect on driving in bad weather or B. change the rain so it's pleasant to view and easier to see the road when driving leaving the AI alone. As it stands, I like many others loathe rain lol 

• Agree 2

The rain is awesome. The sheet of white nails in concert with the FFB makes for fun times. Can’t see jack $h1t and can’t feel jack $h1t. It’s like pin the tail on the donkey...but using a car, a Rally car, on a slippery road, in the rain. 

So good.

• Haha 6
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Is it just me or are the Rain Physics©️ also really really weird? Let me try and explain:

• The rain seems to be just a basic animated texture that falls a constant rate
  • When you are stationary, it falls straight down and looks normal
  • However, the angle the rain is approaching the ground seems to be relative to the speed your car is travelling (weird), and
  • the angle of the rain tilts as you take corners (weird), and
  • the rain texture seems to move at the same speed as your car (weird).

These combine to give a super weird feeling where you never feel like you are speeding faster and faster INTO raindrops no matter how fast you go, and, rain changes angle based on you, not on prevailing conditions.

To put it another way, if the "wind" is blowing the rain towards me as I start a stage and accelerate ahead, then when I turn 90 degrees left that rain should now appear to come in slightly sideways from the right. Instead, in DR 2.0 it comes in sideways whilst I'm performing the 90 degree turn, and then magically corrects to be coming straight towards me again as I straighten up. Coupled with the stupid phat rain sheets that you never seem able to catch it has a weird twilight zone feeling.

• Agree 3

The raindrops are too big and make it difficult to see at night because they block the light from the headlights. In Poland and the USA you can't see anything at night when it rains. In New Zealand it is also very dark at night, but there is no heavy rain.

• Agree 1

Have to agree, this is the single biggest glaring graphical issue by a mile.

Codemasters this is causing damage to your game. The heavy rain at night is a game-breaker and looks like it is from a playstation 1.

Especially awful in light of how good the rest of the graphics are.

• Agree 9

The rain is there but doesn't affect the windscreen. Did the daily FWD yesterday (night time and rain) and didn't even need the wipers on. 

Also in Sweden when you have heavy snow it's as if it's raining. Should show snow being cleared not rain. Almost as if the screen is heated.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Yep!... The lighting management at night and the rain got incredibly worse, in DR2, compared to DR1!

Edited by Adriano1976

Posted (edited)

I'd rather get DR1 rain graphics. They looked better, as well as the night lighting. The only thing wrong on DR1 nights were when you busted the lights you could still see enough.

In DR2 it's a different story, on certain situations even with the lights working you can barely see as much as in DR1 with no lights.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 4

OMG, I have just seen these rain graphics for the first time. Unbelievable bad, awful. Worst I've seen in years in a racing game. 

• Agree 1

+1 to this. I think they've actually got worse since patches? It looks awful, I hate driving at night in the rain now. Has no one there actually driven a car?

I'm ok with the rain being the way it is....so long as the AI times reflect the added difficulty.  Unfortunately at this point I don't think they do.

Posted (edited)

They'd be better off removing all heavy-rain-at-night stages completely, until a fix for the graphics is effected.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 3

On 4/29/2019 at 12:45 AM, Ferrethead81 said:

I'm ok with the rain being the way it is....so long as the AI times reflect the added difficulty.  Unfortunately at this point I don't think they do.

I get where you're coming from and I thought the same until I saw how it looked in Dirt Rally, a 4 year old game and a predecessor to Dirt Rally 2.0. Arguably it's also not entirely realistic, as in reality you would see much more raindrops crashing on your windscreen, but it's considerably better:

Posted (edited)

That does look better although its way to extreme imo.  Your in a heavy wooded area no way that amount of rain is hitting the car. 

If if your out in the open thats still an extreme downpour. 

Edited by FLAW3D

In my opinion Driveclub had the best rain/weather effects I've ever seen in a driving game - and that was five years ago!

• Like 1