Sign in to follow this  

Best driving wheel?

Hello guys!

after years and years of playing with a keyboard - I hate controllers - I would love to finally build the F1 setup I've always dreamed of. I'll probably build a whole cockpit in the years, but first I need to find a nice racing steering wheel that I can use. I've seen many reviews online and I am frankly quite lost, so my question is: what steering wheel + pedals would you recommend to play with F1 games?

My budget is around 300 euros, and I'm looking for something that could give me the best driving experience within the simulation. I may even try to get to the eSport series, who knows. Steering wheel buttons and good pedals are the priority anyway, and I'm totally open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Esports uses Fanatec but they're not in your budget range. For 300 euros the choice is a Logitech, they're robust but not the best feedback.

If you were to go used you may secure a Thrustmaster T300/T500, better but then you are looking at worries with longevity. When they're used, there's no warranty and the failure rate is high compared to Logitech.

If you were to double your budget you could secure a nice Fanatec when they are on sale! Second hand, you could grab a bargain but compatibility and lack of warranty raise their heads (modded stuff may be better than the original spec).

I would discount the even older Logitech wheels the G series is the top of what they do. Similarly the cheaper Thrustmasters are not really a premium product.

Thank you very much for the useful insights! I was googling here and there to see what could possibly be done, and I found the Ferrari F1 wheel addon, falling completely in love with it! So my two options could be:

- T300, perfectly in budget, works out of the box and with the possibility to buy the F1 wheel later

- Buy the F1 wheel and the TX Racing wheel servo, which is within budget, but I'd still need to buy external pedals, which would definitely push me a little out of budget.

I'd be more inclined to go for the second, but it doesn't seem to be a popular solution. Is there any reason why?