Trees dramatically drop FPS

Hi everyone,

Fist I want to say the DR 2 is the best racing game I have ever played, the team that had created it has to be really passionate.

So I play on a Macbook with Bootcamp, my graphic card is on the low end: Radeon Pro 560X which is like a Nvidia 1050. So I don't expect to play AA games at 1080p on full settings.

When I first tried DR 2 the first race I did was Argentina in Time Trial, and I was really amazed by the quality of the graphics I could have even with my graphic card: 1080p at medium settings, and the game was really beautiful and smooth.

Then.. I raced in different countries and my FPS dropped dramatically, so I lower my settings, to finally find that the more trees the stage has, the more my FPS will drop. in the same stage in an environment with and without trees, the temperature of my GPU will increase of 10 Celcius. So now I'm playing at 720p with low settings. 

I love the game, and it's really beautiful if you have a good graphic card, but I find disappointing that Argentina is well optimized even for low end graphic cards but as soon as we get the trees...

I mean, when I'm playing a racing game, I don't really look at trees, I look at the road and that's it. The environment is important also to make a game more beautiful, when I see the beautiful lightning or the reflection on the water, they look amazing, but they don't drop my FPS or raise the temperature of my GPU.

I wish the team behind RD 2 could fix this issue, I think we are many who love your game but don't have a high end graphic card, please think about us :)

Oh and last thing: please fix the AI

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, kuenfred said:

Hi everyone,

Fist I want to say the DR 2 is the best racing game I have ever played, the team that had created it has to be really passionate.

So I play on a Macbook with Bootcamp, my graphic card is on the low end: Radeon Pro 560X which is like a Nvidia 1050. So I don't expect to play AA games at 1080p on full settings.

When I first tried DR 2 the first race I did was Argentina in Time Trial, and I was really amazed by the quality of the graphics I could have even with my graphic card: 1080p at medium settings, and the game was really beautiful and smooth.

Then.. I raced in different countries and my FPS dropped dramatically, so I lower my settings, to finally find that the more trees the stage has, the more my FPS will drop. in the same stage in an environment with and without trees, the temperature of my GPU will increase of 10 Celcius. So now I'm playing at 720p with low settings. 

I love the game, and it's really beautiful if you have a good graphic card, but I find disappointing that Argentina is well optimized even for low end graphic cards but as soon as we get the trees...

I mean, when I'm playing a racing game, I don't really look at trees, I look at the road and that's it. The environment is important also to make a game more beautiful, when I see the beautiful lightning or the reflection on the water, they look amazing, but they don't drop my FPS or raise the temperature of my GPU.

I wish the team behind RD 2 could fix this issue, I think we are many who love your game but don't have a high end graphic card, please think about us 🙂

Oh and last thing: please fix the AI

you can change tree detail to LOW in advanced graphic setting

It's already on the lowest setting, as mirror, crowds...

I monitor all the games I play on my macbook for the temperature to not go too high. And it all the games I play, the temperature difference is only 4-5 Celcius in different environments. In DR 2 the trees impact the FPS and temperature way too much.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kuenfred said:

It's already on the lowest setting, as mirror, crowds...

I monitor all the games I play on my macbook for the temperature to not go too high. And it all the games I play, the temperature difference is only 4-5 Celcius in different environments. In DR 2 the trees impact the FPS and temperature way too much.

i have an overclocked gtx970  and it goes up to 70/75degrees. i play mosto setting in high and other unnecessary setting at low.  90% of time i got 60fps, sometimes 50 when it rains hard

not problems with my gpu

Edited by teknoid85

Teknoid85 your graphic card is much more powerful than mine, I'm sure with a gtx 970 you don't have much problem with any game. I think the optimization for low end graphic cards could be improved, especially for trees 

• Agree 1

Every animated object kills FPS (moving trees, grass, spectators, rivers, drones). Would be a nice feature to add an ON/OFF switch (slider) in graphics menu to stop or play animation for moving object

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You can try turning off grass shadows in your Hardware Settings.xml file for more fps.

Local Disc - Users- User Profile Name - Documents - My Games - Hardware Settings - Hardware Settings Config.xml - scroll down to "shadows enabled=true" - next to it is "grass=true", change it to "grass=false" . Save

Remember to make a back up of your settings before you change them

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, kuenfred said:

I play on Xbox and for me the biggest fps-killer trees are located in Argentina. Unfortunately I dont know the name of the stage, but I try to describe it.

It's a shorter stage, begins on a plateau with high section, with an L1 at the end. After it's slightly downhill, and still high-speed (especially by Argentina standards! :). After a while the road turns to right and there is a row of tall, thin trees on the right side of the road. Those hugely impacts the frame-rate, by feel I would say it goes down into the 20s. Biggest fps hit in the game for me.

Interestingly enough in the thick forests in USA fps doesnt seem to take a big hit, but at hairpins screen-tearing can happen - but it's quite rare since the latest couple of patches I think.

yeah, it's normal. the game normally runs at around 45-55 fps but then slowed down to below 25 when there were lots of certain trees.

I got it in Poland the most (and the worst slowdowns), but also in New Zealand in the heavily forested bits, and very occasionally in Spain, Australia and New England. Monte Carlo and Sweden seem better but it might be because I've already decreased the graphics.

that section of Argentina is bad too.

I put the shadows to medium and it helped a LOT. it's a bit annoying because if it wasn't for these little sections I could almost max out the graphics options

3 hours ago, ianism said:

yeah, it's normal. the game normally runs at around 45-55 fps but then slowed down to below 25 when there were lots of certain trees.

I got it in Poland the most (and the worst slowdowns), but also in New Zealand in the heavily forested bits, and very occasionally in Spain, Australia and New England. Monte Carlo and Sweden seem better but it might be because I've already decreased the graphics.

I put the shadows to medium and it helped a LOT. it's a bit annoying because if it wasn't for these little sections I could almost max out the graphics options

what gpu you have?   i have a 970

On 4/23/2019 at 9:34 PM, kuenfred said:

I have had the same experience on desktop with GTX 1050 and Pentium G4560. Poland is the worst in that regard. I'm a competitive player so when I play online events I absolutely need to have constant 75 frames per second, which is the refresh rate of my monitor. The only way to achieve it in Poland is to set each and every setting to lowest, and even that isn't enough in some places, which I find astounding since the game looks like something from 2005 then.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, teknoid85 said:

what gpu you have?   i have a 970

1050ti 4GB. I have a laptop.

I find my FPS affected by any tree on any stage at any time!

It can literally just be one tree and BAMM my FPS drops to zero. 

You’re all talking about feet per second right?

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

23 hours ago, mesa said:

Every animated object kills FPS (moving trees, grass, spectators, rivers, drones). Would be a nice feature to add an ON/OFF switch (slider) in graphics menu to stop or play animation for moving object

Totally agree with you mesa.

22 hours ago, SkiddyMcCrash said:

You can try turning off grass shadows in your Hardware Settings.xml file for more fps.

Local Disc - Users- User Profile Name - Documents - My Games - Hardware Settings - Hardware Settings Config.xml - scroll down to "shadows enabled=true" - next to it is "grass=true", change it to "grass=false" . Save

Remember to make a back up of your settings before you change them

I'll try that, it could help, thanks for the tip SkiddyMcCrash

19 hours ago, ianism said:

Yeah I have noticed the same

Thanks to all for your comments, hopefully Codemasters will hear us.

I think the best idea comes from Mesa, would love to have an option to turn off animated objects, I'm sure it looks nice if you have a gtx 1080 but for people like us, I would love to increase the settings and turn off animated objects.

• Agree 3