Sign in to follow this  

What is going on with the pricing?

Posted (edited)

I have played video games since the late 90s. I've seen a lot of games over the last 20 years. Dirt Rally 2 is basically the "gold standard" for inappropriately priced games. I'm not posting this to complain about the price either. I want to know what's going on? Is this just Steam abusing a contract? Why are they still selling the game for $80 when 95% of the negative reviews are complaining about the price, and racenet mandate? There's just no way I would feel comfortable buying this game for $80 after reading the reviews. I would love to buy the game and at least give you guys some return on investment, but if you're just going to sell copies of the game to Steam, where they artificially inflate the price for 6 months, I'll just avoid your game all together, and then Steam wont even want to buy copies of your game, because nobody buys them. And don't tell me about grey-market sites either. I'm not buying a game code from some random seller online. The developers need to do a better job pricing their games appropriately, and putting them on enough market places to make sure competition is taking place. I would buy the $60 base game if there weren't so many people claiming most of the daily challenges and DLC content are behind that pay-wall. There's not enough new content in the base game to even justify the $60. Either way, this is the first time I have actually wanted to buy a game, and didn't, specifically because of the pricing. $80 for the full game would be the most expensive game I have ever purchased in over 20 years. I have never spent that much money on a video game. Typically I buy the base version of every game, which at the most is 50 to 60 dollars usd. Codemasters seems to have put a lot of desirable content behind the DLC paywall , which makes this an $80 game in my opinion. An $80 game with nearly 50% negative reviews. Swing it back full circle, and you realize that the negative reviews are constantly referring to the price tag. So I have to ask, what is this? My guess is, it's probably Steam inflating the price because they can. There's going to be a time within the next 12 months where Steam is selling this game for 20 dollars, and I know for a fact they're still making money on that. The price of games is going to continue rising as long as the developers continue engaging in contracts with individual market places.

Edited by ShadyBrady6

Posted (edited)

Games priced on Steam aren't set by Valve, the publishers set the price. Codemasters are the ones who set the price for their games. Just dont buy direct from Steam, you can get it cheaper from many different places, it's been over a year since I bought direct from Steam.

The problem is thanks to Steam PC gaming has become popular, so publishers started pricing their games the same as console versions.

Edited by Hughesy