Sign in to follow this  

Everything frustrating with Dirt Rally 2

Don't often post to developers websites to complain but DR2 is such a headache inducing affair. Having started out with Dirt Rally since the original went online on Steam as early acces, it's like for everything this game does right, there's 2 design decisions to niggle at you that make me want to just load up Dirt Rally 1 instead. Now with over 80hrs played I'm kind of not bothered to touch the game because those niggles are just accumulating to the point I don't even want to turn the game on. 

- Steam Workshop

Where is it? Seriously? Why would you not use Steam Workshop for tuning setups. It's not like you don't know how to implement it, it was in DR1. Most peeps like to just grab a working setup and be done with it. Worked for DR1, completely absent in DR2; why?

- Always online

Unless you're running an MMO, there's no reason for this. There isn't. Don't tell me it's because of 'piracy' because I'll straight up tell you punishing me as a paying customer for the game aren't interested in hearing it. To authenticate times to make sure no one is using mods or alterations to the game? Don't care, use an Online Only leaderboard then but don't force everyone to have to be online. Server maintenance and you can't play the career mode...but the most annoying is the constant 'Connecting to Racenet.' Enter a menu....connecting to racenet, leave a menu, connecting to racenet….everything you do, connecting to racenet. JFC!! It's like death by a thousand cuts, it's infuriating. Just drop it.

- Recycled content

I'd say I don't understand why companies do this, but I do, $$$. Make new content for a game, release title, then sell back content that was already in the first game with slight alterations as DLC. Requires minimal effort but good for nickle and diming the customers...….

- Rubbish AI

Plenty of topics on this. Once hitting a point in career it's basically not worth coming back unless you like punishing yourself. There just becomes a point where you no longer feel like there is any progression or reward for doing so. It's like hitting a dead end. 

Like, I absolutely love the way the game plays, but everything around that is just horrible; and it's not like there is any reason for it when most of the issues didn't even exist in the first game! They were actually added to the game......you expect the first one to have those sort of little issues but become more streamlined with the sequel, but it's like you guys took a working game that really only needed tweaking and a few updates and more content and just went out of your way to make it as frustrating as possible

• Agree 11
  • Disagree 8

Posted (edited)

A lot of these threads are starting to appear of late, looks like the goodwill is beginning to run out and we’re becoming scared of a dirt 4 repeat. 

The recycled content seems to have gone under the radar recently due to other issues, i remember that being one of the main talking points when it was announced, and before other issues took precedent.  Although i’ve noticed that Jimmy Broadbent does mention it quite a lot when doing videos on the DlC so far

loved the dr1 rally’s but played them to death this last 4 years and know them off by heart, would rather new content tbh. 

Edited by Pieman99
  • Disagree 3

7 minutes ago, Suteki83 said:

Don't often post to developers websites to complain but DR2 is such a headache inducing affair. Having started out with Dirt Rally since the original went online on Steam as early acces, it's like for everything this game does right, there's 2 design decisions to niggle at you that make me want to just load up Dirt Rally 1 instead. Now with over 80hrs played I'm kind of not bothered to touch the game because those niggles are just accumulating to the point I don't even want to turn the game on. 

- Steam Workshop

Where is it? Seriously? Why would you not use Steam Workshop for tuning setups. It's not like you don't know how to implement it, it was in DR1. Most peeps like to just grab a working setup and be done with it. Worked for DR1, completely absent in DR2; why?

- Always online

Unless you're running an MMO, there's no reason for this. There isn't. Don't tell me it's because of 'piracy' because I'll straight up tell you punishing me as a paying customer for the game aren't interested in hearing it. To authenticate times to make sure no one is using mods or alterations to the game? Don't care, use an Online Only leaderboard then but don't force everyone to have to be online. Server maintenance and you can't play the career mode...but the most annoying is the constant 'Connecting to Racenet.' Enter a menu....connecting to racenet, leave a menu, connecting to racenet….everything you do, connecting to racenet. JFC!! It's like death by a thousand cuts, it's infuriating. Just drop it.

- Recycled content

I'd say I don't understand why companies do this, but I do, $$$. Make new content for a game, release title, then sell back content that was already in the first game with slight alterations as DLC. Requires minimal effort but good for nickle and diming the customers...….

- Rubbish AI

Plenty of topics on this. Once hitting a point in career it's basically not worth coming back unless you like punishing yourself. There just becomes a point where you no longer feel like there is any progression or reward for doing so. It's like hitting a dead end. 

Like, I absolutely love the way the game plays, but everything around that is just horrible; and it's not like there is any reason for it when most of the issues didn't even exist in the first game! They were actually added to the game......you expect the first one to have those sort of little issues but become more streamlined with the sequel, but it's like you guys took a working game that really only needed tweaking and a few updates and more content and just went out of your way to make it as frustrating as possible

i found it a shame to blame for the remastered stages, as they are:

1 like new, with improved hanndling and physics

2  3,50euro  for each locations...................   common  stop complaining 😂

3 the more loctions in game, the more i'm happy

i also disagree with the online compliant, i see no problem there, it's a MUST, as now all times are registered to the leaderboards,  and it's right that  piracy users don't have any right to play the entire game.

i agree with the other 2 points

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 10

p.s:   i want all locations  of dr1  in dirt rally 2.0  and even new ones

• Agree 12

They genuinely could just build and build on top of this game without ever releasing a new one. I'm convinced thats how the gaming industry will evolve.

• Agree 2

God no, I hate that rally.....tho I actually wouldnt mind reworked Finland and Greece tbh

Posted (edited)

I know it’s been mentioned by other users before but Grimmi36 has literally given out so many more dislikes than likes 🤣

so much negativity, odd that you have never made a post or contributed. Like the internet needs another troll 🙄

Edited by Pieman99

Methinks the OP has a lot of hyperbole, but in particular I disagree with the 'recycled content' myth. Have some assets been reused? Sure, but why wouldn't they be? The new locations as DLC cost a tiny amount, and are you telling me you'd rather have a Mitsubishi Starlet than a Lancia Stratos in game because the Stratos model was used in Dirt 4? Even if the physics are many times better? They can presumably add all the DR1 venues for the amount of work (and thus cost) of one or, at max, two new DR2 exclusives, and I'd much rather have the increased overall distance the DR1 stages offer me.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

The frustration is real!!!

Noticing a few posts from new members. Looks like we are reaching a point of critical mass 😂 

While I don’t agree with all of the OP, I get (excuse me, WE get), the sense of frustration and angst. Codies is not exactly community-oriented, but yet here we all congregate to commiserate. We’re like hungry dogs waiting for our owner to throw us a scrap of meat. And until then, we can all growl at one another and pee on one another’s posts to say the same thing using different verbiage in an attempt to make words even more poignant. Lol

Guilty as charged I am just the same!

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, teknoid85 said:

i also disagree with the online compliant, i see no problem there, it's a MUST, as now all times are registered to the leaderboards,  and it's right that  piracy users don't have any right to play the entire game.

Why is having to be always online for the Single Player-Career a "must" ? I understand that this is necessary for the Online Events, but for the Career ? What do I, as a player, gain from this ? One thing I see for example is that pretty often I cannot drive the car I WOULD like to drive in my Career because the car isn´t available at that time. So I must wait for the Store to refresh and then HOPE that the car I actually like to drive is available this time. To me this mechanic feels shoehorned in, just to somehow justify the "Always Online"-Requirement.

I personally don´t care what pirates can and cannot play. In my opinion pirates should NEVER have an influence on how a game is designed; the only thing you achieve is punishing the paying customer. I can´t play the Career when Racenet is down, I had my Career reset a couple of times, I won´t be able to play the Career in a couple of years anymore (when the Servers are turned off), but hey, at least those pirates can´t play the SP-Career......

Edited by Civarello
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Civarello said:

Why is having to be always online for the Single Player-Career a "must" ? I understand that this is necessary for the Online Events, but for the Career ? What do I, as a player, gain from this ? One thing I see for example is that pretty often I cannot drive the car I WOULD like to drive in my Career because the car isn´t available at that time. So I must wait for the Store to refresh and then HOPE that the car I actually like to drive is available this time. To me this mechanic feels shoehorned in, just to somehow justify the "Always Online"-Requirement.

I personally don´t care what pirates can and cannot play. In my opinion pirates should NEVER have an influence on how a game is designed; the only thing you achieve is punishing the paying customer. Hey, I can´t play the Career when Racenet is down, I had my Career reset a couple of times, I won´t be able to play the Career in a couple of years anymore (when the Servers are turned off), but hey, at least those pirates can´t play the SP-Career......

to me the always online thing  is a bit of excuse   for those who have downloaded the game on torrent........

since first trouble  days on launch i never had any problem with racenet.....................

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 2

8 hours ago, Suteki83 said:

- Recycled content

I'd say I don't understand why companies do this, but I do, $$$. Make new content for a game, release title, then sell back content that was already in the first game with slight alterations as DLC. Requires minimal effort but good for nickle and diming the customers

So you won't play F1 2019 cos it recycles tracks that were on F1 2016?

Or play Fifa 19 cos the Etihad stadium is always on it?

Or Gt Sport cos Le Mans etc are on from GT5

Or Forza 7 cos of Forza 4?

As long as they're improved, either graphically, or physics. Why not?

• Agree 16
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

To be fair, F1 2019 should be physically scanning each track by now like other racers.  Some of the tracks when compared against a scanned track in a game like GT Sport are quite different.  You could especially tell the difference in the Castle section of Baku during the recent GP.  Real life looks nothing like the game.  Lets not even mention how off Spa is to real life.

• Agree 1

Why do you guys keep buying Codematers products if their products are always so frustrating?

34 minutes ago, CalvinCar said:

Why do you guys keep buying Codematers products if their products are always so frustrating?

The OP mentioned how much he/she liked Dirt Rally 1, and judging from the title, it looks like this thread is just regarding Dirt Rally 2, not all Codemasters products.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:

The OP mentioned how much he/she liked Dirt Rally 1, and judging from the title, it looks like this thread is just regarding Dirt Rally 2, not all Codemasters products.

My comment was more about the whole thread and even the forum as a whole.

16 hours ago, cafe5150 said:

You're making a false equivalency here.....I'm talking about the fact they had all the data and the majority of work already complete for stages like Monte Carlo and Sweden and that they were held back so they could be sold as DLC. My point is they should have either already been in the game, not resold as DLC. 

Why would I expect F1 2019 to not use tracks that were in 2016? I've got every F1 title released on PC from 2010 to 2018 so of course I'm expecting the current season tracks to appear whether they were in the previous games or not.

18 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

Methinks the OP has a lot of hyperbole, but in particular I disagree with the 'recycled content' myth. Have some assets been reused? Sure, but why wouldn't they be? The new locations as DLC cost a tiny amount, and are you telling me you'd rather have a Mitsubishi Starlet than a Lancia Stratos in game because the Stratos model was used in Dirt 4? Even if the physics are many times better? They can presumably add all the DR1 venues for the amount of work (and thus cost) of one or, at max, two new DR2 exclusives, and I'd much rather have the increased overall distance the DR1 stages offer me.

I'm not sure you understand the definition of hyperbole...….

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CalvinCar said:

Good point. But it has been answered already

17 hours ago, Buckwilder said:

We’re like hungry dogs waiting for our owner to throw us a scrap of meat

Unfortunately electronic distribution allows devs/publishers to profit from sub-optimal releases. Long-tail is long enough

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, teknoid85 said:

to me the always online thing  is a bit of excuse   for those who have downloaded the game on torrent........

since first trouble  days on launch i never had any problem with racenet.....................

So what you´re saying is that the majority of people who are against this Always Online-Requirement for the SP-Career and Single Player Games in general are people who pirated the game ? Wow. Wish my world was so easy.........

I do own the game on Steam. But as soon as i heard about the Always Online-stuff it was off my to-buy list. I ONLY own it now because my girlfriend bought it as a gift for me (without my knowledge of course); but even then I was hesitant to activate it....to not support these kind of practices.

And just because YOU didn´t have problems does mean what ? That all the people who did have their Career reset (what happens to this day btw, which is ridiculous in itself) or couldn´t compete in the Online Events are pulling these things out of their nose ?

I didn´t have THAT many problems with Racenet as well. But I don´t have to experience these bugs myself to be against the Online Requirement. My main point is still that I want to be sure that the WHOLE game is still playable in the future, and doesn´t have some kind of "best before"-date written on it´s main SP-Mode. 

Ah, teknoid giving a "Thums Down" instead of replying is of course a great way to have a discussion. Great Job 🙂

Edited by Civarello
  • Like 1
  • Disagree 2

The always online Racenet is so painful. Menus that should take 1-2 second to load end up taking 10-15 seconds. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Suteki83 said:

You're making a false equivalency here.....I'm talking about the fact they had all the data and the majority of work already complete for stages like Monte Carlo and Sweden and that they were held back so they could be sold as DLC. My point is they should have either already been in the game, not resold as DLC. 

OK:

- Remastering the DR1 locations (all new textures, adding the new features) takes a bit of time
- Creating a new location from scratch takes a lot of time

So let's say, for arguments' sake, that the time needed for 1 'new' location is the same as the time needed for 3 'old' location updates.

Would you have been happier if the base game had 4 of the original locations from DR1, updated and remastered, plus 4 'new' locations (say, USA, Poland, Spain and Australia). Then, in the DLC seasons, they'd put 1 'new' venues in each one (Season 1 = New Zealand, Season 2 = Argentina). Same release frame, same amount of work, same amount of content after 6 months.

Pros of this approach: more locations on Day 1

Cons of this approach: some 'new' content is now DLC, Codemasters is 'holding back' new content. Also, on Day 1 we had many of the same locations as in DR1.

Let's look for equivalency that's closer then. I have a copy of Led Zeppelin III I bought around 2004. They released a remastered version of the album in 2014. Should I have gotten that one for free, even though they didn't have to re-record a single thing?

Basically, they had a budget to create a certain amount of content for DR2 based on base game sales plus expected DLC sales. They went for the approach of finish up the new content first, then revisit the old ones. This meant everyone who owns the game has the new locations. If you were tired of those stages in DR1, you have some new ones to learn and forget the DR1 ones. If you're a hardcore player and want the DR1 ones adding, then they're yours, completely updated, for a few optional £/$/€s more. And if you didn't play DR1, what a bargain for those added locations - cheaper than any new track for Raceroom, AC, iRacing or Project Cars ever was.

---

I also completely disagree with your point about 'rubbish' AI. To me, that's exactly what AI should do - always be a challenge. Happy to admit they have a serious issue with FWD classes, which are much tougher, and I do not understand why this is so much work for Codemasters to change. But the fact I got stuck on Level 3 (can't recall the name) in DR1 meant I needed to get better to progress. Like, I seriously had to relearn what I was doing and improve - which was infinitely preferable as a challenge to being able to dial the number down a little.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 4

On 4/30/2019 at 6:59 PM, cafe5150 said:

How would you feel if F1 2019 had 6 launch circuits, with the remainder added as recycled season pass DLC on a fortnightly basis? The fact remains that for a game with "Rally" (not Rallycross) as it's primary selling point, base content in no way reflects anything remotely close to a full rally championship, so to add paid for DLC in order to give the end user a more satisfying experience is a little underhand in thee first place. To add recycled season pass DLC that could just as easilly been added to the base game simply cannot be condoned.

• Like 1