Sign in to follow this  

Gonna hold off on buying more DLC for the game

I dunno, I know making a topic for this is a bit self-indulgent, but this qualifies as feedback for how I am doing with the game at least.

I have bought most of the DLC for the game so far (Mostly interested in new locations and historic vehicles). I'm gonna have to say that I'm not going to be doing so any more, because a few issues with the game are still too much for me to really enjoy this.

I read Christina's post on Reddit just now, where she says:

The health, longevity and player sentiment is just as important to the commercial stuff as DLC is. There's no point releasing DLC if people aren't playing the game - if no-one's playing it, who's going to buy DLC? And conversely, who will let us make DLC if no-one's buying it? Plainly: everyone who's worked on DR2.0 loves it and wants to make more for it for as long as we're allowed!

But back to the main issue raised: the new environments are made by our amazing Environment Artists and Level Design team, and the vehicles are made by our Vehicle Artists. It's a predominantly different set of skillsets that tackle the bugs. However, player satisfaction and happiness is just critical to our commercial goals as DLC.

I want to let you know that, from my perspective, the health and longevity of the game are in danger, and me not buying further into the game is, well... that.

That's not something I want to say, because the game is good, and has the potential to be great. But there are some bugs that are making it impossible for me to really enjoy at the moment. In particular, issues with the AI timing/difficulty, and the sound bug are really putting me off trying. These things are making Career mode, which is my main way to play the game, really frustrating. I love the ideas that are there, but if I am against AI that is to the point of being buggy, and the sound bug that is still in the game that makes driving almost impossible, it just ruins it.

And because it ruins it, I won't be giving you any more money until that's sorted. If the game was working as intended, I would be hoovering up DLC in the form of stages, certainly, and a lot of the cars as well. But, that ain't happening.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ianism said:

Image result for cool story bro gif

Would you have posted that same worn out phrase if he would have praised the game and pointed out how he would gladly buy every single piece of DLC ?

Just to add my 2 cents, I uninstalled the game one week or so ago. I still had bought the Monte DLC (which was a nice improvement over the Version in Dirt Rally), but the game itself became more and more frustrating every time I played it (because of its buggy nature, missing features, and the vast unused potential due to a rushed release). And maybe it´s just me, but I feel as if there is a slight condescending undertone in some of Codemasters responses..........

So at least in my case there won´t be any further DLC-purchases. Maybe, in a couple of months I will try the game again (maybe by then the game will be in a state that it should have been in on release). And DLCs will only be purchased when (heavily) discounted (if at all). I´m normally really not a cheapskate; but Codemasters has broken the Camels back one too many times for my tastes......

But the thing is, in its core the game is good. That is the reason why I´m still following the game and its progress. If it wasn´t I would be long gone, add Dirt Rally 2.0 to the very few games I personally would count as a loss and simply add Codemasters to the list of Publishers/Devs who I won´t support anymore (literally, not only talk).

Edited by Civarello
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I’m enjoying the game and really hoping for more rally-focused DLC (Finland please) in future, but that’s an excellent post OP.

I am fortunate enough not to have the ‘sound bug’ and limiting myself to classes where the AI seem OK, but I have real frustration with the lighting and time of day progression (3/4 of the event taking place in evening) but I also don’t have that much time to put in at the moment (few hours a week tops) so I can’t dwell on those frustrations as much.

However, I get frustrated when reading blanket criticism for Codemasters and especially when it’s done in an aggressive or thoughtless manner. Your post is well thought out and very reasonable and exactly the sort of thing these forums should be for IMO. 

I hope the issues you you mention are worked out and we see you back on the leaderboards soon 👍

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Civarello said:

Would you have posted that same worn out phrase if he would have praised the game and pointed out how he would gladly buy every single piece of DLC ?

And maybe it´s just me, but I feel as if there is a slight condescending undertone in some of Codemasters responses..........

point 1 - frankly, yes. I'm tired of people giving unconstructive criticism and unconstructive praise alike. for my part, I have started many little threads in the suggestions box and have repeatedly asked for the things I'd like changed/modified most in the game like weather, daylight, and custom championship in career. specific goals are easier to work towards.

point 2 - I do actually think you are imagining the condescension.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3