Micro stutters on high end PC

Question

Hey all, 

I have a high end PC (8700k / 2080ti) and DR 2.0 has been displaying a frame rate of 144+ since around the first patch but rendering these micro stutters that make playing it impossible. I have tried disconnecting all extraneous USB peripherals, running on low settings, and running as administrator - nothing seems to help. When I watch my system stats in game, the CPU sits cold at 18% and the GPU seems to live at 90-100% regardless of the settings I am using. I have the refresh rate set to 144hz (tried 120 as well), but displayed fps generally shows in the 180-220 range. When it started I was using a Fanatec CSW 2.5 and now on the DD2 the problem persists. I love this game and would desperately love to keep playing it. Someone help me please, I am tearing out my hair over here. 

6 answers to this question

Method sync monitor G-Sync or FreeSync doesn't help?

The best thing you can do is lock the framerate to the lowest measured value.

If the lowest fps you have 150, so as to lock the value to be 140 fps, using either the Nvidia Profile Inspector or MSI Afterburner.

Against the basic options of the game, both methods work as magic.

I can lock the settings to 99hz in game and still see the fps at ~140 while playing. Using these settings: 

dirt 2 settings.PNG

Still have the same micro stutters as well...

You have to lock the framerate not only the frequency of the monitor.

NPI.JPG.25be3b00717086c9270f09bd69a24847.JPG

or

AB.thumb.JPG.c32a0b17745e41e38580a650c57084d0.JPG

That is what I did, still the issue persists. I don't know what I have left to try...

I know Codies games are very sensitive to my backup service, Carbonite.  It constantly scans the HDD for updated files, which takes up either CPU or HDD, can't tell because it doesn't show up on any monitors.  I would show 60 frames per sec and task manager CPU usage was reasonable.  But microstutters galore.  

Some programs are more susceptible to this, like and gmotor game and Codies rally games.  AC and Pcars, not so much.