Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

The Tyre Thread

Recommended Posts

Cheers,

gonna ask when you all use which kind of tyres?

To me it currently seems hard tyres are worthless. At least without Leagues and bigger gaps between services. Soft tyres can easily handle 1.5-2.5 long stages before being used up. And on average there is a service park every 2 stages, rarely 3. And then those are never 3 long stages in a row. Right now I really don't see the use-case for hard compounds?

Apparently tyre changes are also free of charge? You don't have to pay any tyres? That would incentivise harder compounds, but they are just free. Only limited to 4 changes, and where do you even have 5 service parks so that this becomes an issue?

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I subscribe.

There needs to be some tyre adjustments to make them useful, otherwise people will just pick soft tyres automatically.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hard tyres are worthless  - Agreed. No reason to choose hard tyres agains Medium (for long stages) or Soft (especially for short stages).
Spare wheels, i always set the amount to zero. There's No time to change a tyre which cost less penalty than you drive a stage with a puncture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RallyLover19 said:

Spare wheels, i always set the amount to zero. There's No time to change a tyre which cost less penalty than you drive a stage with a puncture

This one depends on which rally you are. It's nearly impossible to drive with a puncture in Spain or Monaco, and also Sweden's been a pain. Gravel stages seem to be the ones more forgiving, but even then you end you up losing more time depending on which sector you are.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May You're right. I'm afraid slippery Monte is not a challange to keep pushing even with a front tyre puncture,  Spain depends on weather condition - rain can help you a lot
BTW first rule is try to avoid to get a puncture

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also since the time taken to change a tyre drops once you upgrade phil the tyrehandler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is easily the most sort after feature/improvement in the poll I ran a month ago.

"Tyre wear adjusted to make selection strategy meaningful"

 

Does anyone know if harder tyre compounds resist punctures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes i was looking forward to this new feature, yet i am able to choose the soft compound every time and have yet to notice any sort of drop off. 

I’ve also never seen the tyre icon show anything other than 1 quarter wear. A % indicator would  be better, i’m having trouble believing that it is dynamic and not scripted when the icon seems to just have 4 preset indicators of wear. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I pretty much use softs all the time. Very seldom that I manage to use them enough for wear to be a factor.

One thing I really miss is temperature being a factor. If it's warm or not makes a big difference IRL, so if it's a scorching day hards should be useful as softs should just be a wobbly mess of melting rubber. But right now we don't know anything about the temps, so can't really make a decision. Also, really irritates me that we have solid absolutes as weather info, rather than just probabilites. Tyre choice should be more of a gamble when conditions are uncertain.

But when we get leagues going this might be a real change-up. On endurance events it will matter much more. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
At 99.9%, the middle mix is also recommended on wet roads in Spain.
I wonder why there is even a recommendation if only the middle mix of tires
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

considering the state of the game.......I would be scared of CM adjusting anything to do with the tires, lol

but it certainly was only done halfway like most of the game, lol

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've given up on medium entirely. Just had a championship in Poland with the M3, with only one long stage between two services. Tyres were still "new" afterwards, and I believe it was even the 16km stage. After two stages, they're always "used", but mediums are too. The game doesn't tell you how much used they are, it doesn't even tell you if there is any difference at all between "less used" and "more used". I can't even recall what comes after "used" because I've seen that maybe 2 times in my 160 hours of play time.

So imo there isn't really a choice, I find it almost entirely pointless. I actually prefer DR1's "system" where you just didn't have to bother when there's nothing to bother anyway.

What I also find annoying is tyre choice in time trials. You will never ever choose medium or hard unless you want to be slow, yet the default (and recommendation) is always medium, so you have to change it everytime. I'd really appreciate if the default was changed to soft, at least in time trial mode.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DocStrangelove said:

I've given up on medium entirely. Just had a championship in Poland with the M3, with only one long stage between two services. Tyres were still "new" afterwards, and I believe it was even the 16km stage. After two stages, they're always "used", but mediums are too. The game doesn't tell you how much used they are, it doesn't even tell you if there is any difference at all between "less used" and "more used". I can't even recall what comes after "used" because I've seen that maybe 2 times in my 160 hours of play time.

So imo there isn't really a choice, I find it almost entirely pointless. I actually prefer DR1's "system" where you just didn't have to bother when there's nothing to bother anyway.

What I also find annoying is tyre choice in time trials. You will never ever choose medium or hard unless you want to be slow, yet the default (and recommendation) is always medium, so you have to change it everytime. I'd really appreciate if the default was changed to soft, at least in time trial mode.

I get every now and then "worn" instead of just "used". My driving style is quite aggressive, so does that have anything to do with it? :classic_huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Murikka said:

I get every now and then "worn" instead of just "used". My driving style is quite aggressive, so does that have anything to do with it? :classic_huh:

I highly doubt that the code goes that deep into details. It's probably just distance driven based. If it wasn't we would have tyre temperature readouts, which are present in sims that feature at least semi realistic tyre degradation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple way to test it would be to do a lot of burnouts on tarmac in an RWD car, as AWD cars in this game have way too much grip and you can't do proper burnouts in them, complete one stage and see where the tyre degradation marker is at. It should be worned out completely if it was based on more than just distance driven.

Edited by Pistro
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, in the description for hard tires it does say that they're for tarmac, but i've not bothered to compare their performance on that surface.

I have noticed that soft tires are noticeably worse than mediums after doing 2.5-3 stages. there have been a few cases where I forgot to switch tires at a service station* and did 5-6 stages on softs or mediums. softs are waaay worse, but it takes so long to get there that if only really matters if you forget to change, which is silly.

I suspect it was something they wanted to add into the game but weren't able to finish before a lot of the team go moved on to F1. like many other features.

 

 

* at service stations, if the tires are "worn", you get a little exclamation mark next to Tires just like the one for Repairs, but if they are only "used" you do not. it's silly that it notifies you of even the tiniest body damage but not when you have used tires that will cost you a lot of time over the upcoming stages if you forget to switch them

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, DocStrangelove said:

I've given up on medium entirely. Just had a championship in Poland with the M3, with only one long stage between two services. Tyres were still "new" afterwards, and I believe it was even the 16km stage. After two stages, they're always "used", but mediums are too. The game doesn't tell you how much used they are, it doesn't even tell you if there is any difference at all between "less used" and "more used". I can't even recall what comes after "used" because I've seen that maybe 2 times in my 160 hours of play time.

So imo there isn't really a choice, I find it almost entirely pointless. I actually prefer DR1's "system" where you just didn't have to bother when there's nothing to bother anyway.

What I also find annoying is tyre choice in time trials. You will never ever choose medium or hard unless you want to be slow, yet the default (and recommendation) is always medium, so you have to change it everytime. I'd really appreciate if the default was changed to soft, at least in time trial mode.

I second your opinion... The only change i do is to chose soft tyres (or wet if it's in spain and the surface is wet) and change to zero spare tyres. Unfortunately, tyre management seems pointless to me in it's current state and, like you, i think makes no sense being in the game as it is (just another product of a badly rushed game 😞).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pistro said:

Simple way to test it would be to do a lot of burnouts on tarmac in an RWD car, as AWD cars in this game have way too much grip and you can't do proper burnouts in them, complete one stage and see where the tyre degradation marker is at. It should be worned out completely if it was based on more than just distance driven.

What? You don't do 'burnouts' in 4WD rally cars, they do indeed have too much traction for that. Donuts is another story though, you can do them perfectly fine in DR2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

42 minutes ago, bogani said:
22 hours ago, Pistro said:

Simple way to test it would be to do a lot of burnouts on tarmac in an RWD car, as AWD cars in this game have way too much grip and you can't do proper burnouts in them, complete one stage and see where the tyre degradation marker is at. It should be worned out completely if it was based on more than just distance driven.

What? You don't do 'burnouts' in 4WD rally cars, they do indeed have too much traction for that. 

That's literally what he said.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh btw we should test whether soft tires puncture more easily. i'm pretty sure they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
One of the first rally games I had was V-Rally 2 for Sega Dreamcast
This game is Arcade but you already had a very large selection of tires there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JesseDeya said:

 

That's literally what he said.

He made it sound like the 4WD cars in game have excessive amounts of grip and that he should be able to do 'burnouts' in them, but he can't. 

I could obviously just have misinterpreted what he meant but that is easy to do when reading "have way too much grip". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bogani said:

He made it sound like the 4WD cars in game have excessive amounts of grip and that he should be able to do 'burnouts' in them, but he can't. 

I could obviously just have misinterpreted what he meant but that is easy to do when reading "have way too much grip". 

Sorry, it was my error. I'm not a native speaker. By burnouts I meant accelerating from a standstill and spinning up the tires. I realised that it's not the same only after reading your comment. Donuts will be fine too.

By saying that "AWD cars in this game have way too much grip" I meant that they, overall, have more grip than AWD cars do in reality. It's also true, to some extent, with most of the other classes, but with AWD cars the difference seems to me to be the biggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×