Sign in to follow this  

WE NEED A RE-LAUNCH - let's brainstorm!

Posted (edited)

Ok, so sales are not where we want them. Steamspy had Dirt Rally 1 at 1-2 million owners.

DR2.0 is sitting between 50,000 and 100,000.

Let's face it: No matter what our gripes, Dirt Rally 2.0 is a dream come true. I think that is actually why there has been negativity, as players wanted rally nirvana, so any slight shortfall was blown way out of proportion. Curse every single one of you entitled little #$%#s who went and gave a bad review because FFB was not what you wanted, ie a replica of DR1, but was in fact a proper simulation. Honestly, that giant bunch of indulgent crybabies are a good reason for Steam to die and Epic Games to take over.

But anyway:

How can we improve sales? Let's have suggestions for this only, in this thread. So it's not about 'what feature do you really want'. But rather 'how would you go about rescuing this simulation masterpiece?' (because that is what this game is).

For example:

1. Bring in tool-tips/explanations for game options,

2. A simple, separate off-line career mode with difficulty options,

3. Improve visibility in shaded areas,

4. Jazz up the career mode with things like team e-mails between championships, that sort of thing,

5. RE-LAUNCH the game with all the DLC and patched up.

6. REVEL in the fact you are the ONLY GOOD RALLY GAME OUT THERE, PERIOD. DR2.0 is miles ahead of RBR, it's only competitor.  Forget WRC 7 or SLE, these do not have the sublime and so well differentiated handling this game dishes out continually for all its cars.

LONG LIVE DR 2.0 !!!!!

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 7
  • Disagree 12

Great way to encourage participation by calling people "entitled little #$%#s" just for voicing their opinion. K, bye.

• Agree 9

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

Great way to encourage participation by calling people "entitled little #$%#s" just for voicing their opinion. K, bye.

Yeah bye Shodancat. Thanks for outing yourself as one of the people who gave this game a bad review on Steam. Why do you still hang around these forums if you were happy to consign this game to the dustbin by being a 'big man' on steam? No don't answer that, as you've said 'bye'.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 7

Posted (edited)

I know it wasn’t the main focus of your post but The Epic Games store and Launcher has a horrendous reputation. 

I would recommend watching the below video to any pc gamers. 

Edited by Pieman99
  • Agree 1

Well, the problem is Steam allows the crybabies to forever stamp a game with their knee-jerk 'reviews' which are (too often) nothing more than dummy-spits by entitled little basement-dwellers unhappy the game their mother purchased for them hasn't catered directly to their every cheese-burger fuelled fantasy.

Steam needs a shake-up.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4
  • Disagree 7

I fully agree that the game is a work of art in drivening, but I disagree greatly on how it refers to disgruntled customers, you are no who to demand what another can say, the steam numbers are cold, and I personally do not agree , but there they are, and it's for something, codemasters should check what they did wrong for that to happen, not us. I want a long life of this game like everyone else, because I enjoy it very much, hopefully the developers have the ability to lift this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

11 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Yeah bye Shodancat. Thanks for outing yourself as one of the people who gave this game a bad review on Steam. Why do you still hang around these forums if you were happy to consign this game to the dustbin by being a 'big man' on steam? No don't answer that, as you've said 'bye'.

He might have been expressing his feelings towards name calling rather than disagreeing with people voicing their criticisms, to which I agree. 

I love DR2 and find myself frustrated with the constant bashing, but some of the points raised during said bashings are quite correct. Nevertheless, those I disagree with I would not belittle.

I suspect this is the basis of his response. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Sammoo said:

He might have been expressing his feelings towards name calling rather than disagreeing with people voicing their criticisms, to which I agree. 

I love DR2 and find myself frustrated with the constant bashing, but some of the points raised during said bashings are quite correct. Nevertheless, those I disagree with I would not belittle.

I suspect this is the basis of his response. 

Did the bashings justify a 4 or 3 or 2-out-of-10 review on Steam?

Really?

People need to realise there are consequences to their actions. Being called 'names' (oh poor, poor little petals!!!) is perhaps one of them. The other consequences is tanking the only serious rally game out there.

And it's a bit rich when those very same people are busy playing the ***** out of this game.

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 5

6 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

Did the bashings justify a 4 or 3 or 2-out-of-10 review on Steam?

Really?

People need to realise there are consequences to their actions. Being called 'names' (oh poor, poor little petals!!!) is perhaps one of them. The other consequences is tanking the only serious rally game out there.

And it's a bit rich when those very same people are busy playing the ***** out of this game.

If that is the rating that someone gave the game based upon their opinion of the game, and after playing the game, then that opinion is valid.

I disagree with any opinion with a rating as low as those you mentioned, and I would personally rate DR2 at 7 or 8, but what I am trying to say is that objecting to an argument which resorted to name calling is not a bad thing. I, in fact, would encourage that sort of objection.

Obviously what you said was out of frustration and I very much doubt was aimed at anyone in particular other than the generic 'they'.

Maybe I shouldn't have stuck my nose in here, but I have seen many post by both you and ShodanCat as you are both very active community members with, obviously, deepset passions. It would be a shame for the community to lose one or other of you, I think.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, elrojodp8 said:

I fully agree that the game is a work of art in drivening,

tag-line for Codies right there

• Agree 1

Not sure you have any right to call anyone a cry baby considering the way you're going on.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

I understand your frustration Jake and actually posted a topic on reddit a few weeks ago in a similar fashion, for which I was heavily downvoted (I called those people spoiled brats, so I should have seen it coming 😉 )... Many people over-reacted with their negative reviews and I can't comprehend to this day how someone can think that the handling is more arcade compared to DR1 or that there is not enough content for a full sequel, or that FFB is "non existent" and "undriveable" (actual opinions I've read on the internet). It's hurting the sales considerably I'm sure, and that's not a good thing.

However, as the time passed I must admit the small bugs and wierd design choices are really annoying, precisely because the core game is so wonderful. And things like heavy rain effects, crazy bloom and unrealistic AI just destroy what could otherwise be an amazing experience.

I think all the game needs for an effective re-launch and top review notes is the "complete edition", with all the dlc's and bugs fixed.

• Agree 5

Posted (edited)

I still actively play DR2, and the more I play it the more I enjoy it and the better I become ; which is helping me to overlook some of the issues. Jake you know I got your back on helping maintain a positive outlook - and I think Codies will get this figured out sooner than later to deliver the product we all hoped for. Fact is, we are not far away from that as it stands. All that said, Codies had to have known they set a very high bar, and anything short of that would lead to widespread dismay. I honestly feel that the game should have stayed in development for an extra few months. What makes matters worse is the fact that things like the audio cut-out bug have been recurring despite multiple attempts to fix it. Just this morning we have another small example of things not working (Subaru not available for Xbox users, Codies looking in to it). While this in and of itself is not a big deal by any stretch - it does however reaffirm the common theme: issues. The bugs pages after each patch seem to be growing, not getting smaller. No question people are frustrated and so now are nit-picking over things they may normally overlook.

Simply put, for all of its polish, there is certainly many areas in which the lustre is lacking. Not sure where it went off the rails for them? Rushed release, limited funding for beta testing and post finish/pre-release fix resources? Regardless...the game deserves better than it has received, but lesson be learned : you can’t deliver a game like Dirt Rally 2.0 with all of the expectations it’s fanbase had after DR1, with this many things slipping through the cracks. People are hasty, and harsh, and extremely discriminating...and in this instance, perhaps excessively so. The reaction though was born out of Codies mistakes in rushing the release.

Consider me one who believes another few months will lead to all things being patched without issue - we collectively just need some patience. After all, it’s only a game. So re-launch or otherwise, the game will pick up steam (pun intended)...in the meantime people just need to exercise their demons and complain about stuff, we gamers have become a fickle bunch and so need to be taken with a grain of salt or two! 🙂

Long live DR.

Edited by Buckwilder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

Great, balanced and insightful posts @Buckwilder and @danielofifi

I agree with both your sentiments that it's been a thousand cuts of annoyances so far. I think it's been a rushed release, the issues appear to need time, rather than being anything fundamental (ok excepting the always-online, but nevermind).

Cheers to you both for being sensible, critical but positive overall. That's the spirit lads! 🍺🍺

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Hard to compare pure total numbers when one has been out for years and the other only months.

You also gotta remember Dirt Rally launched at $20 in Early Access which was a great deal for all the content and updates that followed, and has been on sale as low as $8 after everything was complete. While Dirt Rally 2 was a $60 game at launch and costs even more for the returning Dirt Rally 1 content. Not quite the same impulse buy although it's already been on sale for $45.

If you look at the average & peak players from the steamcharts history, Dirt Rally 2 and Dirt Rally 1 are fairly comparable, with DR2 doing better at initial launch. The numbers could definitely use some boosting, and VR support will have a minor effect when it happens, as will future sales that are deeper discounts. In a few years time, the overall numbers for DR2 may wind up similar to the first Dirt Rally. I'm not sure there's a way to relaunch it that would have a great impact, racing sims are a niche genre to begin with and Rally is a niche within a niche. Although it would be interesting to see how the console numbers compare with PC.

Edited by pyide
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

People need to realise there are consequences to their actions.

What about CM needs to realise there are consequences to their actions?

But to be fair, nobody have to realise anything. It is the free market.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 8

22 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

What about CM needs to realise there are consequences to their actions?

Agreed, Also while the state the game released in i dont think was the main issue sure it might of stopped word of mouth sales but launch sales were abysmal. I think DIRT is just as saturation point now and with nxt-gen on the horizon they should of held off. 

Want to relaunch it, Forget about selling millions upon millions this gen  and just make it the best it can be on these consoles and then re-release it nxt-gen and blow our minds that for me is the only way we will see big sales for 2.0

4 hours ago, Sammoo said:

If that is the rating that someone gave the game based upon their opinion of the game, and after playing the game, then that opinion is valid.

I completely disagree. If an opinion is based on ignorance, misinformation or unrealistic expectations, that opinion is worthless.

This is a problem with too many users’ reviews, on Steam and elsewhere. Far too many of them are based on next to no actual play time, just knee-jerk reactions and “it’s bad because it’s different”, plus making mountains out of molehills with regards to the online requirement.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

I reckon a lot of the negative reviews were decided a long time before release with the whole "no vr no buy" farce

• Agree 2

Steamspy is no longer an accurate indication of sales.

I don't really see what's the point of this thread except for generating drama and divisions. Do you seriously think that Codemasters' management is going to consider opinions of random people on their forums in making their financial decisions? I mean, they might find an inspiration here, but we, as random people on their forums, not related to their company, don't know 99% of the things they know about their sales. How can you expect them to take any of this seriously? 

1 hour ago, Pistro said:

I don't really see what's the point of this thread except for generating drama and divisions. Do you seriously think that Codemasters' management is going to consider opinions of random people on their forums in making their financial decisions? I mean, they might find an inspiration here, but we, as random people on their forums, not related to their company, don't know 99% of the things they know about their sales. How can you expect them to take any of this seriously? 

We can’t. It is however a place to let off a little steam, banter about the state of affairs and pretend like our opinions matter more than they actually do. They (Codies), read the forums...what they take away from it is debatable...

For all the BS and childish defamatory rhetoric - there are some very intelligent and constructive words/feedback strewn upon these threads. Just kick back and enjoy the drama, yeah? 😉

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A wise guy once said: Statistics never lie.

And as a matter of fact they don't. I just hope this game turns around by season 2 and those selling numbers keep going up, otherwise we're pretty much screwed.

Remember that it took much effort to convince the money men that a rally sim would make money. This is the ultimate iteration, and despite not doing bad, it's not doing great either so far, specially if we are to compare stats with DR1. One stat that kept me happy was the stable playerbase. By this time DiRT4 was dead already.

If DR2.0 fails, we might very well say bye-bye to any hipothetical sequel and say hello to the arcade games again. But those will fail too, just like D4.

In my opinion DR2.0 has what it needs to compete with the flagship F1 2019. It simply had a rocky start.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Let's face it: No matter what our gripes, Dirt Rally 2.0 is a dream come true. I think that is actually why there has been negativity, as players wanted rally nirvana, so any slight shortfall was blown way out of proportion. Curse every single one of you entitled little #$%#s who went and gave a bad review because FFB was not what you wanted, ie a replica of DR1, but was in fact a proper simulation. Honestly, that giant bunch of indulgent crybabies are a good reason for Steam to die and Epic Games to take over.

I gave the game an average review score (2/5) based on 15 hours of gameplay and based solely on the fact that I felt it was, well, an average game - and still maintain that if consoles were fortunate enough to have a choice then Dirt Rally 2 would struggle against any competition. My review wasn't influenced by the lack of VR (not applicable), force feedback issues (again, not applicable) or even always online Racenet; it was decided upon by the level of immersion I got from my game time as well as the quality of the product in relation to what I paid for it.

In my humble opinion I feel Dirt Rally 2.0 is most definately NOT a dream come true and if my negativity makes me a "(self) indulgent crybaby" for not happening to be wearing industry tinted 9.3 out of 10 spectacles (along with 'I love Codemasters' embossed underpants) then so be it.

Edited by _BorisTheFrog_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, _BorisTheFrog_ said:

I gave the game an average review score (2/5) based on 15 hours of gameplay and based solely on the fact that I felt it was, well, an average game - and still maintain that if consoles were fortunate enough to have a choice then Dirt Rally 2 would struggle against any competition. My review wasn't influenced by the lack of VR (not applicable), force feedback issues (again, not applicable) or even always online Racenet; it was decided upon by the level of immersion I got from my game time as well as the quality of the product in relation to what I paid for it.

In my humble opinion I feel Dirt Rally 2.0 is most definately NOT a dream come true and if my negativity makes me a "(self) indulgent crybaby" for not happening to be wearing industry tinted 9.3 out of 10 spectacles (along with 'I love Codemasters' embossed underpants) then so be it

2/5 is average? are you from a place where 40% is a pass? if so, a pass of 40 still isn't average, is it? *** are you taking?

painting people who like the game very much as cm fanboys/girls is not helping your argument. maybe some of us don't find the issues as debilitating because we didn't spend €150 on a wheel or whatever.

going back to reviews in general(I read a LOT of them on Steam) a lot of them were critical based on it being "not the same as DR1" and not meeting their clearly astronomical expectations. like honestly, criticize the issues and bugs all you want, but if you wanted things like 10 rally locations in the base game and current WRC cars, f off. yeah, it has serious issues, but the base game has the same number of cars as the original, same amount of rally locations, and killer non-tarmac handling. keep in mind that the AI of dirt rally wasn't really much better.

to respond to the original post, this is what the suggestion box section of the forum is for.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 5