Sign in to follow this  

Career mode AI on elite level

There is a serious AI issue when you get to elite level on career mode.

It makes the whole mode damn right frustrating and takes all the enjoyment out of it for me.

The AI are waaayy too fast. In Poland driving the group B Lancia some of the stage times being set are 5 seconds quicker than world record times!

I find myself driving the perfect stage only to be 20-30 seconds behind each time and ending the stage/event in 25th or worse.

There should be a way to peg them back without having to drive all the stages in all locations, get annihilated by the AI and then drop a level.

Tempted to say 'screw it' and try the history mode. AI time should never get anywhere near world record times

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

yes great of Codemasters there is only the career and the events in all other modes you can not drive your own car ...... made great codemasters

I wonder how to motivate yourself at all to play the game

Yeah, on all difficulties i think Poland is the biggest issue. The performance of the AI at the other locations compared to Poland is night and day.. no pun intended... 

• Agree 1

When you have this annoying feeling that AI is cheating.. that you ask yourself what if point of playing this game?... too bad really. 

5 hours ago, Pieman99 said:

Yeah, on all difficulties i think Poland is the biggest issue. The performance of the AI at the other locations compared to Poland is night and day.. no pun intended... 

There certainly are some balancing issues between different locations, but with Poland it's a different story. I used to think as you do, that the AI times are too fast there, compared to other locations, until I memorised all the corners. This made me realise just how many pace note calls are wrong, and it perfectly explains why it was so hard for me to be consistent and competitve against AI in Poland. Now that I have all the corners memorised I know which calls are going to be incorrect beforehand, so I drive much quicker and don't crash on them anymore, and the AI times seem just like in other locations, pace-wise.

• Agree 1

Agreed. The more you drive, the more you get comfortable with the car, the more you memorize the stage - the less gap in time there is. 

When I started out on Elite I got my a$$ handed to me, but now I am winning events and am consistently placed in the top 5 no matter what location. Group B is tricky though man, you are using the most insane beasts the Rally discipline has ever seen. Once you get in to 1600-2000cc class it is a lot more attainable as far as keeping pace with the AI.

Happy trails - don’t give up! 👍

• Agree 3

You shouldn't have to memorize stages to be competitive. That's not how rally works.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Clod22 said:

You shouldn't have to memorize stages to be competitive. That's not how rally works.

To be fair, in real life, knowing the stage is a pretty good advantage. Drivers with previous experience in a particular stage are usually faster (probably because they are more confident) than those with no knowledge of the same SS, even if there's a one year gap between each event... Of course, that does not mean good pace notes should be be underrated...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Clod22 said:

Hogwash. 

This is a video game. You (we), are not professional Rally drivers. I can queue from pace notes just as well as anyone having played Rally titles for many years. Even in the face of knowing a stage layout, I still use them for timing purposes to set up cuts and transitions as much as use muscle memory from knowing the stage. That said, invariably you get to know stages...or at least portions of them as we play stages in a video game much more frequently than a real Rally driver does stages at an event once annually.

Should I slow down to make it more realistic, because I have played a stage 100 times, and because like you said - memorizing a stage or portion of it is not ‘how Rally works’? Lol

The beauty of Rally video games is mistakes cost nothing, and we can memorize stages to compensate for the fact that we can’t experience real life forces that are present in an actual Rally car.

As much as I consider myself a hardcore fan and dedicated Rally game enthusiast - I happily take advantage of knowing a stage to better my performance. Using 20+ cars and being a Rally GAMER entitles me to this privilege, just the same as it does everyone else who plays Rally games 🙂

• Like 2

I've just accepted it. If you are leading the AI, watch the class leader marker just go straight by you like the timed ghost of them is on a straight going flat out.

For me it's less of an issue than Pro and to some extent Clubman not being challenging enough, it feels like we went through three championships of absolutely no competition and jumped into hardcore competition with Elite. Like now, the real game begins and for some of us it's mainly bashing your head against the wall, driving as perfect as you can and still coming outside the top 20 in some setups. I'd rather be challenged than not even have to try, so it's great that the game is finally putting up a fight, but there are definitely some stages/locations and conditions which the AI seems extremely unbalanced next to the world records, though.

Also, it would be more interesting if there was more to the difficulties than just some extremely hard to catch AI times - why isn't hardcore damage enabled as you progress (or why is it not an option!)? Why does the tire wear system even exist if you never need anything but softs outside of the snow & wet tarmac stages? They really need to something about that, reduce & randomize the amount of services per championship as the difficulty increases? I don't know, but something to make you consider maybe using medium or hard tires once in a while. the whole thing seems pointless right now.

• Agree 4

This game is basically;

You = Kubica in a Williams

AI = Hamilton in a Merc with MarioKart mushrooms

• Haha 5

On 5/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, cjhill said:

Tempted to say 'screw it' and try the history mode. AI time should never get anywhere near world record times

yo, try the historic ones. they're really fun. there's way more times of day, and events are well-balanced between different tracks (so you're not doing a ton of the same roads).

only problem is that there's no rewards (unless you win the R5 championship) and you aren't using your own cars

• Agree 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, pyide said:

Also, it would be more interesting if there was more to the difficulties than just some extremely hard to catch AI times - why isn't hardcore damage enabled as you progress (or why is it not an option!)?

It seems that they went and added hardcore damage as a difficulty modifier now, that was nice! Did not see that listed in the patch notes.

I'm finally in elite tier, and the AI is posting faster times than the world records, in RGT class, at least in Argentina. Can't imagine how it would be in master 😁. I like a good challenge, but this is ridiculous

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Opassac said:

I'm finally in elite tier, and the AI is posting faster times than the world records, in RGT class, at least in Argentina. Can't imagine how it would be in master 😁. I like a good challenge, but this is ridiculous

I am in Masters, and it is flat-out bonkers. Short of strapping rocket boosters to the back of my car, I have no idea how I am expected to compete. I can’t for the life of me even figure out where they make up all the time. Best finish so far (and it has only been a few days since I got bumped up to Masters div), is 15th. I consider this to be a crowning achievement given the massive difficulty. That said, I have not upgraded the engine on the car I am using so once that is done I expect better times and better finishing results.

Edited by Buckwilder

I dont really understand how the difficulty is supposed to work, you do a solid clean run and its like the AI runs 20sec faster just as an f you.

Playing with a controller at Elite level is where I've topped out, as far as rewards go, theres little incentive to actually continue, I'm more or less coming back solely because I love the feel of the driving and therr being new content slowly drip fed, otherwise there'd be no reason to come back. 

The thing about wanting to continue playing is that dopamine hit you get from being rewarded; its what keeps people coming back to action RPGs where all you really do is click on an enemy and the game does the rest, the sense of progression comes from that next weapon, or that next level. You keep grinding away just for that little 'whats coming next' moment. 

With this games difficulty combined with a lack of any real career mode, you dont really get that, which is probably one reason people get even more annoyed about hitting a difficulty level then being stuck there. You dont get any more reward as such, you actually just keep getting it hammered into you that no matter how well you think you did, you're nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Suteki83, maybe try a different class, perhaps give hardcore damage a try to make things more interesting now that it's an option.

I was destroyed by the Elite AI in R5 class no matter how flawless I thought I was (and some stages/conditions they were beating the world records), but so far NR4/R4 hasn't been that ridiculous. Managed some 1st-10th place finishes in the first event. As for progression, you still get money and can unlock engine mapping upgrades and such, even when you lose.

I don't really care that I'm "stuck" in Elite for now, I'm more glad that the game is finally challenging me. Open/Clubman/Pro were all way too easy, breezed through them even making big mistakes and driving poorly overall. It's a bummer it took this long for the game to become interesting, but I'm also someone who doesn't need "win" every single championship to have a good time or have a sense of accomplishment. Even when losing, I can tell that I'm improving, and that's more gratifying than coming in 1st place again without even trying like the previous difficulties. Finally realizing much every little mistake is costing me is more than enough incentive to keep coming back and improve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, pyide said:

Suteki83, maybe try a different class, perhaps give hardcore damage a try to make things more interesting now that it's an option.

I was destroyed by the Elite AI in R5 class no matter how flawless I thought I was (and some stages/conditions they were beating the world records), but so far NR4/R4 hasn't been that ridiculous. Managed some 1st-10th place finishes in the first event. As for progression, you still get money and can unlock engine mapping upgrades and such, even when you lose.

I don't really care that I'm "stuck" in Elite for now, I'm more glad that the game is finally challenging me. Open/Clubman/Pro were all way too easy, breezed through them even making big mistakes and driving poorly overall. It's a bummer it took this long for the game to become interesting, but I'm also someone who doesn't need "win" every single championship to have a good time or have a sense of accomplishment. Even when losing, I can tell that I'm improving, and that's more gratifying than coming in 1st place again without even trying like the previous difficulties. Finally realizing much every little mistake is costing me is more than enough incentive to keep coming back and improve.

I do like some challenge and i'm not a very good driver. Having said this, i find it very annoying that the AI are posting faster times than the WR in the ELITE Tier... The AI definitely needs some balancing, although i still play because just like you, i'm improving both my driving skills and my cars engine upgrades and so far, that also gives me a sense of accomplishment...

Edited by Opassac
  • Agree 1

I'm Elite Level but dropped down to Pro just so I could have fun in the events. I suspect I will just jump back up to Elite and then leave it to do weekly's etc as they are far more fun.

I agree with this.. There should not be necessary to know each corner of a stage to manage good times. Drove a 3 minute long stage in New England now, and I was literally flat out the whole first sector but was 6.5 seconds behind on the first split. (My level is winning masters season and 1-5place in every rally) But this is just stupid, and takes the fun out of it

this is master level

Edited by Fastolsen
  • Agree 1

I had no problem with elite in R5, had a great, close season where I won overall with like 5 points between the top 3. But now in masters I changed to the 2000's with the new Subaru and in first rally at Australia I came 24th overall, best stage finish 19th. Did not try R5 in Masters but have a feeling that the 2000's AI is pretty harder then R5...

In 2000's I have a Subaru with no upgrades, so not sure how much that means so will see how masters will be when I upgrade the car and get used to the car...

• Agree 1

yesterday i played some RX after a while. i simply can´t get past the feeling that the AI drives on some railroads or something ? there are some corners the AI drives trough without any sign of tyre smoke or drift e.g the corner in barcelona right before the joker lap. does anyone experience the same issue ?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, JoeBlob21 said:

yesterday i played some RX after a while. i simply can´t get past the feeling that the AI drives on some railroads or something ? there are some corners the AI drives trough without any sign of tyre smoke or drift e.g the corner in barcelona right before the joker lap. does anyone experience the same issue ?

yes it's a bit weird sometimes. 

they also spin you out very, very easily... apparently that is being worked on because it's incredibly frustrating.