Jump to content Jump to content

Suggestions for improvement in 2014 PS3 #7+

Hi,

I have some ideas for improving this game and wonder if others agree. I don't want to put them in a long list because it would be too long and boring. Besides, it's a new forum and basically empty at the moment anyway.

The suggestions are about playability and accessibility - not about mechanics or rules or bugs.

Suggestion #7 - improved manual or additional on-line info.

I have the manual here. Pages 1 and 2 are health warnings, parental control etc.

Pages 3 and 4 are 'welcome', what autosave does, how to navigate the menu and an explanation of the game screen.

Pages 5 and 6 are the controls - how to go faster and slow down.

Pages 7 and 8 are about all the different game modes you can play.

Pages 9 and 10 are credits and support options.

So in a v thin 10 page manual, 4 pages are totally irrelevant to playing the game, 2 just explain how to find your way around the menus and 2 advertise the different game modes you can do. The remaining 2 pages do touch on how to play the game itself - how to go faster and slower. Just 2 pages. Good work Codemasters - you covered everything.

This would be fine in an arcade game, but this is F1. Based on that info, no new gamer could succeed in career mode for eg. The manual either needs to expand to include car setups, tyre rules and wear or have an on-line link that has the details. The links in the manual are pretty useless.

I want to point out that the lack the of details in the manual doesn't affect me personally - I know enough to more or less play the game. But thats because I like racing games and am willing to put in the extra effort. More casual gamers won't (and don't) - there was a work colleague who bought it a month before me and he just shelved it. So it's a general suggestion to improve playability and accessibility again.

Suggestion #8 - Get rid of the unreal bits in this 'real' simulatio

I know F1 isn't really a simulation, just a game, but it's supposed to be more 'real' then others.

Why then am I forced to pick a rival halfway though the season? You cannot cancel it (I try each season) , but it has to be done. Why? I cannot think of any sport except boxing where that happens. It's rubbish.

I can see the challenge is used to get promotion to other teams (when you beat your rival), but that is too simplistic. I have never heard an F1 driver 'lay down a challenge' - to another driver. It also negates any worth to the experience points, which pop up after each race and scroll across the screen without any explanation or relevance as to what is going on. What are they? What do they do? Nothing so far as I can see.

Feel free to flame

AC