Sign in to follow this  

Monte Carlo pacenotes

Not to be overly whiny, but I really do not like the pacenotes in the remodelled Monte Carlo. Just doing the promo event with Group B cars in Monte Carlo, if I were someone who didn’t already have the DLC, I’m not sure I’d be overly tempted to get it based off my run just now. For one, I think that the notes on this game are all rated slightly too high. Rather than acute hairpins, hairpins, and open hairpins, a lot of them are just the numbers now, which would be fine if I didn’t think the ratings are too high. There are times that a turn is a left two or something, when the same corner in dirt rally 1 would be an open hairpin or something like that. Also, the end of the stage, Phil said “tight right”. What does THAT mean? Is it a hairpin? Is it a square right? Does the track narrow (it doesn’t, that stage gets wider at the end). There aren’t as many “keep out” or “don’t cuts” that there used to be in DR1. I don’t like the “snow/ice starts now” when I’ve been hitting ice throughout the stage. When it’s ALL snow and ice, no problem. I’m more worried about the patches. The updated physics are great. The tracks feel alive. The calls are not so great in the remodel. 😕

• Thanks 1

My guess is that they had Phil do the pace notes before they modeled the stages with the new physics because in DR1 the ice patches didnt present much of a problem, DR2 that isnt the case. A few more "caution"s wouldn't have gone astray.

7 hours ago, BatteredSav93 said:

My guess is that they had Phil do the pace notes before they modeled the stages with the new physics because in DR1 the ice patches didnt present much of a problem, DR2 that isnt the case. A few more "caution"s wouldn't have gone astray.

I seriously doubt Phil had anything to do with making the pace notes. They are way to vague and way to inconsistent to be of any use to pro rally drivers, which Phil was a co-driver for.

hi i have same problem with french pace-note the pace note on DR 2.0 is very bad . you are not alone 😉

I personally feel like a few of the pace notes are not great on the original tracks that shipped with the game. I feel the notes were better in dirt rally imo. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Pistro said:

I seriously doubt Phil had anything to do with making the pace notes. They are way to vague and way to inconsistent to be of any use to pro rally drivers, which Phil was a co-driver for.

When I say "do the pace notes" I mean read them. They're just the same pace notes reused from the first game that they had Phil read.

10 hours ago, BatteredSav93 said:

When I say "do the pace notes" I mean read them. They're just the same pace notes reused from the first game that they had Phil read.

Yeah, sorry, I got that later. Just had to vent my frustration with their low pace setting quality. Phil's execution is perfect though.

9 hours ago, Pistro said:

Yeah, sorry, I got that later. Just had to vent my frustration with their low pace setting quality. Phil's execution is perfect though.

I feel you. There's also one "keep left over crest" in Poland that kills me every time.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I'm going to link this here because I think it will be interesting to you guys. I think he says the notes are reviewed by Phil, not sure. Those "tight" corners mean they narrow, and probably need to be taken a bit slower. I personally think the notes are generally better but there are still some places where they are clearly wrong, not sure how those slip through but I guess nobody's perfect. I hope it's not too hard for them to fix those places. 

Edited by Cortextual
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Judging from this video it seems like they gave it a lot of attention, which makes the fact that there are so many inconsistent and wrong calls, even harder to understand.

Edited by Pistro