Sign in to follow this  

Dirt Rally 2.0 Beginner setup ThrustMaster TMX Help wanted

I have just purchased 2.0 for PC & a Thrustmaster TMX wheel , I have previously played Dirt 4 with my old Non FFb wheel without too many issues ,  Now with 2.0 I am having trouble setting up the wheel correctly , I like to set the shorter rotation limits , the main problem seems to be that I get into these spin outs , no matter how I set things up , it seems like whenever I have to make big steering inputs , I get into a power wobble trying to correct one way , then trying to correct the other & just spin out ,..especially in rallycross ,..rally cross is weird , its like all the AI cars have tires glued on the track & mine is on ice , In Dirt 4 I could tap my brakes then handbrake & drift around a corner perfect , in 2.0 the car either spins out or pushes through the turn into a barrier , What am I doing wrong ?  What settings should I change to make this easier to control ?   

Posted (edited)

since noone responded as always ,and i hate that behavior of some

first problem is that you you are into another category since you were on none ffb wheel 

dont expect to much from that wheel ,all thrustmaster have ffb issues on that game ,is a common problem of the game not the wheels!!

you are not doing something wrong is just how the game works ,for others is like you but for other users is nice ,

i love how the game react ,but i want something more from details ,dont expect to be pro on one day,play practice make better 

i personally have my wheel on 540 ,others default with soft lock on ,others less degrees

you can do it from the thrustmaster profile  ,but you have to deactivated from the game its called soft lock 

also if you want some settings check here 

for me dont touch the xml file ,i personally cant take the blame if something happens since you are overboosting your wheel with that 

i use Snakeye5 settings but my wheel is 2 classes up to yours(ts-pc racer ) ,and your wheel is one class lower then the t300

cant help you more cause im still loking to find the perfect for mine ,but you have to find also your turns ,angles etc

while you are racing or play with set ups 

ps:are you Greek ?

Edited by nasoduko
  • Like 1

wait 2 weeks before messing  as the new update will be out for FFB.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, bl4zefas said:

I have just purchased 2.0 for PC & a Thrustmaster TMX wheel , I have previously played Dirt 4 with my old Non FFb wheel without too many issues ,  Now with 2.0 I am having trouble setting up the wheel correctly , I like to set the shorter rotation limits , the main problem seems to be that I get into these spin outs , no matter how I set things up , it seems like whenever I have to make big steering inputs , I get into a power wobble trying to correct one way , then trying to correct the other & just spin out ,..especially in rallycross ,..rally cross is weird , its like all the AI cars have tires glued on the track & mine is on ice , In Dirt 4 I could tap my brakes then handbrake & drift around a corner perfect , in 2.0 the car either spins out or pushes through the turn into a barrier , What am I doing wrong ?  What settings should I change to make this easier to control ?   

be aware that having too  short wheel degrees will result with twitchy steering feel....   

i have a g29 set to 360°  steering sensivity to 50( ingame and in profiler)    linearity to 0 

ps: rally and rallycross is all about steering and countersteering....

• Like 1

ok well I did try the xml fix Its easy enough to revert &  it did help the ffb alot , & I can wait for a ffb fix , but Im trying to get the wheel feeling right in general , Its  hard to explain , but it feels like I cant get the sensitivity right & I notice on a straightaway for example the car tends to have a slight wobble back & forth I have to hold it straight , I have been playing with things & have improved it , but it still doesnt feel right to me , Im not sure how much time people usually have spend getting it right for their particular setups , but it seems kind of frustrating , I will keep trying things , at least I think I understand better whats going on now , Thanks 

I have a T300 and it is my first ffb wheel also.  I am on PS4 so I can only change my settings in the game menu.  I actually spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what each setting is supposed to accomplish then I realized that DR1 explains each setting when highlighted on screen.  I took a series of pictures for reference then went back to DR2 to make adjustments.   

I set my steering saturation somewhere around 35% giving me a tad over 360 degrees of rotation for all the cars.  I find them all "twitchy" and the Porsche won't go on a straight line at any speed.  Then I practice for hours to only make tiny steering movements except for hairpins.  It is easier to fishtail and spin out, but with practice it is also just as easy and quick to catch a slide and correct for it with a tiny flick.  Most of a stage my steering is between 9 and 3 o'clock except for hairpins and fixing my mistakes.  It is only a preference unless you want it completely realistic with the steering rotation matching each car individually.   I would rather keep them all the same.  

I had the same problem with the rally cross cars especially when trying to brake or accelerate in a turn.  They seem to understeer for the wall, so I lift off the accelerator and then spin out with lift-off oversteer.  I learned with practice to countersteer slightly (while feathering the throttle and brake to make slight adjustments) in anticipation of the spin to keep control.  

I am pretty sure that once you pick a preference and practice you will improve.  This is my first wheel ever, and after a few months practice I can set times almost as fast I can with my PS4 controller.   But the wheel is a lot more fun!  

• Thanks 1

In Codemasters games "daedzone" & "saturation" is the physical range of motion for whatever device. Its been this way since the old TOCCA racing games. These are used for old or damaged wheels or pedals that do not have full range anymore. 

Deadzone |--------Range------| Saturation 

By reducing it you make your steering more twitchy. Especially in rally, you want more granularity for steering input. I use them on my clutch to shorten the throw required for actuation making it more button like to save time.

• Thanks 1

Well I thought I was making pretty good progress , then the last update came out ,..feels totally different now & looks like it reset any changes made to the xml file , & the ffb update should still be coming  be later,...So I guess I will be starting over