Sign in to follow this  

Which is the best rally game ever made?

The forum doesn't allow more than 10 choices for polls, so I created one on surveymonkey.com, which was the easiest of online survey sites to copy-paste a list and create a poll on.

The survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZRNGT2N

Sorry for missed ones.
You can identify your favorite one from my video. (Which doesn't include some of choices in the survey.)

I don't think Dirt Showdown is a rally-game at all ^^.

I'd say Colin McRae Rally 1. RalliSport Challenge 2 looked awesome, too - but sadly I never had a Console.

My favorites were CMR3, CMR4, CMR2005, WRC3, WRC4.
And for the rest, either I didn't like it that much, or I didn't try it.
(I just know that Richard Burns Rally was very punitive.)

CMR 2.0 for me as well (with CMR 2005 in a very close second!).

Technically it's Richard Burns Rally, as things like Scandinavian flick are implemented accurately, plus when Burns himself drives a stage as a demo (this was made before he passed away), you feel a bit silly with your performance that far!

It's the only game with fully real damage (i.e. one serious shunt ruins your radiator/car) and things like a damaged radiator overheating, eventually putting you out of the event.

However, graphically, the DIRT series blows it out of the water (even with RBR mods), plus it can quite easily be argued that the DIRT series are more "fun", as it feels slightly less serious (in RBR it's all about driving within yourself, rather than pushing it, or you'll wreck!).

But yes, everyone should try RBR to see how different it was to McRae/DIRT. It'd be nice if there was ever a DIRT game with an option for the same levels of difficulty, but that might put off some players (an accusation Codemasters have often levelled at RBR).

I did like some aspects of RBR, particularly the mechanical damage, stages, and the proper layout of events. I was probably too young when I had it to enjoy it properly though.

For me, one thing that really kills the immersion is when you have a crash, and it just looks rubbish. Either unrealistic physics or no cosmetic damage. This is one thing that Codemasters games does the best compared to most other games on the market.

WRC: Rally Evolved hands down. Outstanding graphics for a PS2 game, great physics, and DYNAMIC WEATHER AND RANDOM EVENTS. Some of the craziest moments I've ever had in a game were rallying through a forest fire in Australia, a whiteout in Sweden and dodging (usually unsuccessfully) fallling rocks on the Col de Turini, before passing a stricken Loeb who'd tumbled down the mountain to take the win! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to fire up the PS2 :)

EDIT: When are you going to reveal the results? :)

Haven't played many of the listed games but I'd stick with Colin McRae Rally 2.0 just for the old times' sake :)

RBR, hands down.

As several previous posters have mentioned it can be horribly unforgiving, and Codemasters has used that as an excuse to make their games more user-friendly.
I'd like to see a hardcore option in their games, that would activate more life-like physics and realistic mechanical damage.

Mobil 1 Rally Championship on pc. Based on the British Rally Championship, 22 cars split between 4 classes, full length stages and rallies developed using Ordinance Survey maps so 10-25 min stages, in the Ulster Rally i was actually able to tear past my own home lol. One of the most challenging racing i think due to the length of the stages. Is one of the best rally games