Sign in to follow this  

Upcoming Monaco Grand Prix

Might as well get a heads up on this total nutcracker of a circuit. I don't know if drivers in the actual race feel like I do, but it's like that old footage of astronauts in a centrifuge. Modern cars are just not suited to this tight circuit. It's historic and it's picturesque, but it leaves no room for overtaking without one or both cars self destructing. It must have been lovely in the 1960's with a dazzling top speed of 100mph as Jack Brabham whizzed by the hotel balconies, but my head is totally spinning doing three laps. I do not anticipate placing high in the rankings. Thank you for your time. We will now resume normal transmission.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

And now, return to the game... This track should be main reason to introduce disualifying for cutting. About 1s can be gain with that despite the engine penalty.

My FP1:

Edited by mattzd
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Might as well get a heads up on this total nutcracker of a circuit. I don't know if drivers in the actual race feel like I do, but it's like that old footage of astronauts in a centrifuge. Modern cars are just not suited to this tight circuit. It's historic and it's picturesque, but it leaves no room for overtaking without one or both cars self destructing. It must have been lovely in the 1960's with a dazzling top speed of 100mph as Jack Brabham whizzed by the hotel balconies, but my head is totally spinning doing three laps. I do not anticipate placing high in the rankings. Thank you for your time. We will now resume normal transmission.

I plan on skipping this next event entirely. This new update broke the framerate in the game and it's painfully obvious on Monaco. That particular track is unplayable in it's current state.

• Agree 1

It's almost upon us now. The most feared race of the season. And if you're not scared, then you must know something I don't because unless you are posting qualifying times in the 50 second region (ie cheating to get a P1 on the grid) then you will be in the middle of the pack for the race. And there is no way anybody is going to be overtaking 8 or 9 cars on this track. Nor can I see myself doing 3 laps without hitting something or flying over the bay where the view is very good. As many have said, I'll probably just sit this out. My best time is a 1:05 and if I'm any kind of yardstick, which I seem to be, that's not going to be a fast time.

Why do you presume to know the times for grid spots?

its never been hard to qualify first, don’t know why it would be hard here

1 hour ago, PGIII said:

Why do you presume to know the times for grid spots?

its never been hard to qualify first, don’t know why it would be hard here

An optimist is in our ranks! This has to be a first surely. The rest of us have been complaining needlessly. I look forward to congratulating PGIII on first place on Sunday.

Ha. I’m assuming 1st grid will be something like 1:08 or 1:09. Maybe I’m wrong. 

Generally if you drive a lap with no mistakes and take the corners well enough, you’re #1. 

1:05 is very fast, doubt you’ll have an issue. 

Edited by PGIII

I doubt a 1:09 will suffice. Have you entered events before to find unrealistic times at the top of the leader board?  Because for me it's been a flaw in every single event since inception. Your faith in this game offering fair play to all is admirable though.

Sometimes things just become outdated. I get the history with this track, but it's just not suited for modern racing anymore. Some tracks, like Indianapolis in Indycar, get better with age, but this one has not. I'd be fine if F1 let go of this race from the calendar. It's just not a good race to watch. It's a parade. They should cancel the race and just make this a time trial event. The qualifying is far more exciting than the actual race is. Everyone needs to stop pretending that Monaco is awesome. It's not.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

I doubt a 1:09 will suffice. Have you entered events before to find unrealistic times at the top of the leader board?  Because for me it's been a flaw in every single event since inception. Your faith in this game offering fair play to all is admirable though.

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about pole position in qualifying. That hasn't proven to be difficult in any of the races. I believe it was 1:37 on Baku, for example. I'm not talking about placing in the top echelon against people who are clearly taking advantage of every exploit that each track has to offer.

13 hours ago, PGIII said:

Maybe we're talking about two different things. I'm talking about pole position in qualifying. That hasn't proven to be difficult in any of the races. I believe it was 1:37 on Baku, for example. I'm not talking about placing in the top echelon against people who are clearly taking advantage of every exploit that each track has to offer.

But I am referring to cheats (or times that have a missing sector) who push the legitimate players who post realistic times during qualifying down the grid. And once in the middle of the grid at a track where overtaking is near impossible, you're screwed. My qualifying time in Spain placed me 8th on the grid due to extremely fast times at the top. When I had the chance to do the event again, the "false times" we're removed and my similar time got me pole. Codemasters do not remove impossible times quickly enough and we all lose grid positions.

• Agree 1

What do you mean with "false times"? False time was 1.21 in Baku, not 1.07 in Spain or even 1.01 in Monaco. These times are properly regarding to this game where track layout is too small and thanks to that we can do times 10secs faster than real F1.

My best clean lap in Monaco is 1.02,45. I don't have even all using epics on lvl2. Players with full lvl4 set should break 1.01 easily.

Edited by mattzd

5 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

But I am referring to cheats (or times that have a missing sector) who push the legitimate players who post realistic times during qualifying down the grid. And once in the middle of the grid at a track where overtaking is near impossible, you're screwed. My qualifying time in Spain placed me 8th on the grid due to extremely fast times at the top. When I had the chance to do the event again, the "false times" we're removed and my similar time got me pole. Codemasters do not remove impossible times quickly enough and we all lose grid positions.

Sorry mate you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how qualifying works in this game. 

Your grid position has nothing to do with how others in the world are doing. You’re racing against a set time. 

Example, at Baku the qualifying time for grid position 3 was 1.37:50, for 2 it was 1.37:25, and for 1 it was 1.37. 

Doesn't matter if the world around you is posting 35 second lap times. It matters what the coders have set the grid times to. 

Dr Zaius is actually spot on, mostly.  The qualifying times are the minimum times to move on to next qualifying session.  If you were to just meet the qualifying time, you would be mired mid field.  If you obliterated the qualifying time, you would start P1 and have an enormous advantage moving on to the actual race.  Yes, your micro qualifying world is yours and yours alone, until points and awards come into play.  Looking further ahead, if the hacks and cheats are able to post amazing times, albeit "unreal" times, you are awarded less points negatively reducing your points and awards given, further reducing your ability to be competitive in the future.  Assuming you are a fair player, earning each and every R&D part through extensive advertisement watching, and racing, you may as well repeatedly bang your head against the wall, as you race cheating players who have used various cheats and hacks to max their car.  To extend that just a bit further, if hypothetically, there could be so many cheats that you would actually finish out of all awards at the end of the race, yet you met the minimum qualifying times.  

• Agree 1

I will take mostly spot on as a compliment. I would be most obliged if somebody could post the fastest qualifying lap times. I don't intend competing this weekend. I get nauseous running around this rat maze of a so called circuit.

• Agree 2

The Facebook group has posted a League 1 fastest time of 60 seconds. My guess is this will fall further. Now do you understand what I was saying? A 1:09 is not going to get you on the front row and the only chance you have at Monaco is being on the front row. There isn't the slightest hope of getting 3 good lap times from the middle of the pack. You will be hitting other cars, other cars will be hitting you and walls and barriers will be like magnets.

• Agree 1

I did a 1:08.22 and I’ll be 19th on the grid. 

Going to just coast thru the race tom and complete.

Edited by elimmel

Current best times are in the 58 second marks. My predictions were close. Luckily I'm not one of those "I told you so" people.

4 hours ago, elimmel said:

I did a 1:08.22 and I’ll be 19th on the grid. 

Going to just coast thru the race tom and complete.

I'm around the same place, in bronze rank.... I've NEVER been bronze!! I'm currently wearing a paper bag on my head in shame. But I am hopeful that I'll be passing a lot of cars as I make my way up to first. I'm laughing, but you can't see it because of the paper bag.

Sorry guys, but you’re both incorrect. Monaco’s set to a very fast pole position (around 1:04 looks like) which sucks, but it’s not a dynamic pole as you guys think it is. Your grid position simply does not take into account others around the world.

Sometimes they set it easier, sometimes harder. My guess is the only difference in difficulty of each pole is the incompetence of this coding team in standardizing. 

2 hours ago, PGIII said:

Sorry guys, but you’re both incorrect. Monaco’s set to a very fast pole position (around 1:04 looks like) which sucks, but it’s not a dynamic pole as you guys think it is. Your grid position simply does not take into account others around the world.

Sometimes they set it easier, sometimes harder. My guess is the only difference in difficulty of each pole is the incompetence of this coding team in standardizing. 

Yep, I don't know much about this game. I'm so stupid I actually enjoy playing it and like to buy helmets and Season Passes. I've got VIP Memberships paid up until 2028 and I own every official car.

Edited by Dr Zaius
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Monaco’s set to a very fast pole position (around 1:04 looks like) which sucks

Guys, during qualifying time 1:07:38 getting me a pole position (attached screenshot). At all the time my best lap was 1:06:74. These have been done with full assists enabled. 

IMG_2391.thumb.jpg.9ec45057fd3cc3f414edbcc2f1f6679f.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

My 1:07 got me 14th on the grid.

lol, how does it possible? :classic_blink:

might be it depends on the current league?

Edited by bondar

Yeah league dependent

1:05 for me got me 4th. Crummy but no patience to try to improve