Sign in to follow this  

F1 2015 Winter Testing

Alonso was concussed and it's somewhat of a trend in sports nowadays to undergo extensive tests, after head-related injuries and the consequences of it were underestimated for a long time in American football and pro wrestling. I can see why they would keep Alonso in the hospital for so long to check things out and rule anything out. Some people are forced into retirements after concussions these days.

Okay, now I'm convinced the situation is more serious than McLaren is letting on. Alonso's head is shaken up mroe than we think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/31639864

So he was unconscious after the accident and i assume he can't remember it. McLaren are hiding something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtygdQRa5Pc#t=14

watch it before it's banned! It was from WTF1 and they said this:  
"Details about the crash are still pretty shady but this video has emerged, capturing the aftermath of Alonso’s crash. It’s pure speculation but it doesn’t look like he’s moving and the marshals are clearly desperate for an ambulance to arrive."

Third pre-season test: Barcelona - day one times 1. Felipe Massa (Williams) 1:23.500 (103 laps) 2. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) 1:24.276 (122) 3. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) 1:24.881 (48) 4. Daniil Kvyat (Red Bull) 1:25.947 (75) 5. Romain Grosjean (Lotus) 1:26.177 (75) 6. Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) 1:26.327 (80) 7. Carlos Sainz (Toro Rosso) 1:26.962 (86) 8. Jenson Button (McLaren) 1:31.479 (7)

It could be anything. Could be that debris from the impact could have hit him on the head or even just that the impact was at an awkward angle. Not being able to remember what happened wouldn't be abnormal though. Kovalainen didn't remember his accident in 2008 as one example.

So now testing is over, what order would you place the teams in in terms of competitiveness? Obviously we don't know about fuel loads and there could be some surprises come Australia, but how would you order them?

1) Mercedes
2) Williams
3) Ferrari
4) Red Bull
5) Force India
6) Lotus
7) Sauber
8) Toro Rosso
9) McLaren

Mercedes are obviously going to still be the team to beat and I think Williams should be a solid 2nd place, but behind them it seems like it could be very close between Ferrari and Red Bull. Behind them though it seems even more exciting because I literally have no idea what order Force India, Lotus, Sauber or Toro Rosso will be in! The mid to rear of the pack this year is so tight. Unfortunately I have to put McLaren last due to their lack of testing and pace. When Manor hopefully turn up in Melbourne I think they could possibly be fighting McLaren at this rate, but who knows.

Mercedes are still well out front, obviously. I think everyone who was realistic about this season knew that would be the case. 2015 is Hamilton vs Rosberg: Part II.

I know Mclaren have had a bad winter, but even from me it's probably a bit harsh to think they'll be fighting with Manor :L Manor probably won't even make 107%. At least Mclaren have done some testing. 

Positive surprise package from testing is Lotus. I'd like to say Ferrari as well, but it shouldn't really be surprising that the only team other than Mercedes which has its whole operation under one roof (and thus has just the same opportunities as Mercedes) is finally getting its act together. To an extent. 

Negative surprise definitely seems to be Toro Rosso. Arguably Red Bull as well. The rumours of Renault having something spectacular lined up this season haven't exactly lived up to expectation. Both performance and reliability wise.

Sauber seem solid if unspectacular, and Force India are pretty difficult to gauge considering they've just been doing system checks due to starting testing so late. 

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Williams
4. Red Bull
5. Toro Rosso
6. Lotus
7. McLaren
8. Force India
9. Sauber

Purely on gut feeling.

1. Merc - uncanny in testing
  2. Williams - Still haven't shown their hand well and we're very reliable
  3. Ferrari - Alonso may have made a big mistake. Again.
  4. Lotus (Grosjean) - The Mercedes PU has worked wonders.
  5. Red Bull - Renault have an awful lot to do.
  6. Force India - Solid in testing, but haven't done much of it. Have a strong driver lineup
  7. Toro Rosso - Looked like a bit of a handful.
  8. Sauber - Better than last year but not anything special - though it was reliable
  9. McLaren - Look in deep trouble for the first few races
  10. Manor - Last seasons car. Pretty obvious.
  11. Lotus (Maldonado) - How many crashes per day?

1.  Mercedes- Especially after Rosberg's time on Day 2 Test 3.
2.  Williams- Don't think they showed their true pace. They'll be close with Ferrari and Red Bull though but I think they've got that bit extra.
3.  Ferrari- Look a lot better but I'm not convinced the first four tests weren't glory runs.
4.  Red Bull- Problems again but hard to see them dropping too far back if they do at all.
5.  Lotus- A scary prospect with both drivers reputations for being... aggressive.
6.  Mclaren- Unreliable sure, but their pace wasn't bad considering they were working on sorting the reliability issues out. I wouldn't put it past them to be challenging Williams/RBR/Ferrari by the time they go to Europe. Yet I also wouldn't put it past them for everything to go drastically wrong. A complete unknown really so I'll stick them in the middle to be safe.
7.  Force India- Drivers will probably save them this year. Looked okay but nothing special.
8.  Sauber- They were consistently fast on the time sheets so something must be right. I'm not convinced though and their driver lineup isn't a world beater.
9.  Toro Rosso- I though they looked good at first but they didn't seem that comfortable in the Barcelona tests. Then again, it's not a team I've really looked into so could be well off the mark with these. I'm not convinced by the driver lineup either.
10. Manor- No more needs to be said.

surprised nobody has red bull near the top. hope they can challenge the boring dominace Mercedes has over the sport just now. technically what they achieved was superb but as a spectator its boring when you know who's going to get pole/win, last year was first year since 2004 that we knew who would win the constructors championship after 3 races. I hope its not a repeat of the Ferrari domination.

and f1since08 I agree with your comment about Alonso, almost as bad as when he joined Renault in 2008 instead of Red Bull who offered him the drive. If Vettel/Kimi wins races this year he will be furious with himself, unless McLaren Honda pull one out the bag.

surprised nobody has red bull near the top. hope they can challenge the boring dominace Mercedes has over the sport just now. technically what they achieved was superb but as a spectator its boring when you know who's going to get pole/win, last year was first year since 2004 that we knew who would win the constructors championship after 3 races. I hope its not a repeat of the Ferrari domination.

and f1since08 I agree with your comment about Alonso, almost as bad as when he joined Renault in 2008 instead of Red Bull who offered him the drive. If Vettel/Kimi wins races this year he will be furious with himself, unless McLaren Honda pull one out the bag.

Ooohh the irony.

4 years of Vettel driving away out front. 1 year (so far) of Hamilton and Rosberg fighting for the WDC. I know which I'd call boring!

At least with Mercedes they allowed their drivers to actually fight for the championship with eachother and provide us with some great entertainment. I personally gained more respect for the Merc leadership than I already had because of it.

I thought both scenario's were mostly boring, although I did start to get into it when Rosberg suddenly became an evil mastermind after Monaco. Had Hamilton rattled for a while too.

Just for once, I'd like to see a season with all 4 major teams competing for the title though. Maybe even 5, seeing how I believe Bottas is quick enough to be champion and the Williams having pace too.

Jiggy said:
I thought both scenario's were mostly boring, although I did start to get into it when Rosberg suddenly became an evil mastermind after Monaco. Had Hamilton rattled for a while too.

Just for once, I'd like to see a season with all 4 major teams competing for the title though. Maybe even 5, seeing how I believe Bottas is quick enough to be champion and the Williams having pace too.
I'd like to see that too bud, but it just rarely seems to happen these days. 2010 was a good year for that though. If it did happen again sometime soon, then I take some pleasure knowing that Ferrari could mess up Vettel's strategy in the last race and cost him a WDC ;)

2010 was a good example of an even playing field, and 2012 seesawed all year long. Of the 4 years Vettel dominated I only thought that 2011 and the second half of 2013 were boring. The rest was far superior to the rubbish we had the majority of last year

pmsl red bull dominated four seasons with plenty of other top teams challenging them, now there is no challenge to Mercedes. forget who drives for who I don't care what most fans want is a battle, not just between 2 teammates but between 4-5 teams like in 2012,  was it 7 different drivers won the first 7 races? that's competition.  I think everyone would agree that Mercedes will win again this year, of course they will so whats the point in even watching it?  was the same in 2003-2004 there was no point in watching as everyone knew Ferrari would win the championship. I just cant understand why some people on here single vettel out demeaning his championship wins then hail Hamilton who won in an even more dominant car. double standards I suppose. ironic huh

Vettel had the best car and no real competition for 2 of his championships. With one he got lucky that Ferrari messed up, and the other he really should have beaten Alonso more easily considering the gulf between their 2 cars. 

Mercedes winning maybe irks you, but at least we aren't haven't Red Bull winning for the 5th or 6th time. And yes they may be teammates, but at least with Rosberg and Hamilton we have a 2 way fight and not just 1 driver running away with it, Hamilton had to fight for it, Vettel didn't for half of his. 

And why bother watching when we know Mercedes will win? Glad you now know how a lot of people felt during the Red Bull dominance. I'll be watching because who knows who'll win out of Hamilton and Rosberg? And because it's a sport that brings out emotions for me, be it frustration and annoyance or joy and happiness.

its got nothing to do with Mercedes winning that doesn't bother me at all its the gap between the teams that bothers me. even if my favoured team Williams was doing this i'd still complain because it makes the sport boring and predictable.  you know it really wouldn't bother me if Mercedes/Red Bull won 10 in a row as long as they get some competition from other teams. not at any time over those 4 years did red bull have the pace advantage that Mercedes have just now, although 1 race did stand out, think it was Singapore 2012 or 13 when a few drivers implied Vettel was using traction control he was so fast. im going to check this when I get home but im sure when the gloves came off at Bahrain and they showed what Mercedes true pace was they were 2 sometimes verging on 3 seconds a lap quicker than the rest of the field.

They may have a bigger gap than Red Bull ever did, but the gap between Red Bull and the other teams was still big enough for them to dominate. To me, comparing the gaps both teams have/had doesn't make any difference, mainly because you still know/knew who's gonna win. 

With Red Bull, it'd be Vettel. With Merc, it could be Rosberg or Hamilton. Obviously it isn't great only having 2 drivers out front, but 2 is still a large improvement on just 1.