New ffb impressions

40 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

Was running my G29 on 85 last night and I genuinely couldn't tell you what the FFB was trying to tell me about the road. It was just random knocking and was so vague that it was making me put in excessive steering which was inducing understeer.

Community asked for random knocking, CM delivered. It's ok. What is important - community is happy, even if it's a fake FFB.

Finally got round to playing! New FFB seems decent not great but much better than on release date. Few issues... Poland you can feel the gravel but then the surface changes to cobbled or paving stones and the wheel goes totally dead like your driving over glass. I changed the suspension to 125 which was fine for what i tried (Poland, New Zealand & Monte Carlo) but in OZ it feels to much and needed adjusted back in the menus and maybe its to fake as it seems your going through ruts but the FFB is not quite what you expect through the wheel. Spain im not convinced its that great either. 

Had it released with this FFB i think most would of been happy'ish. Interesting to see how it evolves in the next patch. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

They need to add road chatter, engine vibration and tyre flex and slip! Driving on Tarmac feels lifeless and dead, I would take fake FFB effects over missing effects. 

Assetto Corsa has some canned effects, as do Jack Spades FFB on PCars 2 and those 2 are highly regarded in the sim racing community (to a degree). 

• Agree 4

I also miss the FX, although suspension feedback is at least there now. I really miss the road texture and hight frequency jitter from Dirt Rally 1.

• Agree 2

Hmm was expecting a bit more to be honest. It's an improvement but it still hasn't captured the feeling of the tires connecting with the road that well imo. Glad they're still working on it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

That being said I've just had a play around with the settings and ran on a cut up New Zealand and it felt pretty great. Definitely a big step in the right direction. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, GazBlaster said:

From my point of view the ffb is still just central spring effects with a bit of road noise. Yes it's improved, but still not worth this game. You have absolutely no feel what the tires do. Don't believe anybody who is telling the opposite.

DR1 showed that it's possible to deliver a solid simulation ffb (also on consoles). What went wrong?

I have to disagree. Self centering torque isn't perfect, but it certainly enables you to feel oversteer, among other things. And yes, you can't feel what the tyres do, because tire rubber itself isn't simulated, per se. Very few simulations have proper tyre deformation implemented, if that's what you're talking about. But you can definetely feel whether tyres have grip or not, at least when oversteering. You can also feel tyre friction, which is the effect of steering wheel becoming harder to turn the slower you drive.

Edited by Pistro
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Decks said:

That being said I've just had a play around with the settings and ran on a cut up New Zealand and it felt pretty great. Definitely a big step in the right direction. 

Yeah after a couple of hours on it now i do feel its better than my intual first impressions. I have much more confidence pushing now and its resulting in way quicker times in time trials.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

PSA: after the FFB update, Re-calibrate (or even reload your wheel preset) in game. Was getting strange SAT falloff in corners sharper than 90 deg.

Edited by Snakeye5

Yeah good shout. Somethings felt off with the SAT since the update but that's sorted it out. 

Had a decent amount of time with it today and after tweaking the settings a bit more I'm extremely happy with it now. I'd still like a touch of vibration when wheel spinning but other than that it feels great. Just sort out leagues and give me the old dash cam view back and I can die happy. 

The FFB is great now. Managed to add just a little of extra vibration and it certainly feels more authentic now. Great job 👍

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Gravel feels now good so far. Especially New Zealand. Austalia seems to have rougher surface. Thats noticable on my TS-PC.

The tarmac stages feels ok but would be nice when there will be kind of surface changes or small bups/potholes from time to time....

Dont know how the Spain roads look in reality but i can imagine they are not 100% even.

Edited by FearFactor

Big improvement overall, but Argentina doesn’t feel rough enough.

1 hour ago, FearFactor said:

Dont know how the Spain roads look in reality but i can imagine they are not 100% even.

They look pretty bumpy to me.

0:21 and 0:51 for example. This is what i mean. 2 different surfaces and there are aways edges between them.

But thx for the video :classic_smile:

The update is atrocious.  Wheel weight completely stripped away, and the new suspension slider at zero makes things worse, it does not give you the pre patch FFB.  

Pre patch I went with John Armstrong’s recommendations for a T300, now that advice is worthless, delete the video.  At least previously we had substantial FFB to work with, to dial back, but now what can you do with a weak wet noodle.

Maxed out SAT to 150, maxed out Tire/Wheel slip, car still feels like driving a toy, floating over the road.  The pre patch feeling of the tires actually digging into the road is gone, can’t get it back.  Tried a half dozen settings, reset controls to default, recalibrated the wheel, but it is what it is.  I am the minority.

• Confused 2
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, cjr3559 said:

Pre patch I went with John Armstrong’s recommendations for a T300, now that advice is worthless, delete the video.

Worthless at the time as well. 

Edited by FLAW3D
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

FFB is a big improvement. They did NOT add "fake canned" effects, there are still no rough surface vibrations like Dirt Rally (whether you like that feature or not, it's still not here.) However the information felt through the wheel is a lot better.

I suggest if you feel FFB is actually worse now, you have some sort of configuration problem. One thing I noticed is that with the default settings of 100 for all FFB effects, it felt pretty good compared to before, where I had to reduce SAT and wheel friction quite a bit to feel right. Now the defaults feel just about perfect, at least on my G27.

• Agree 2

G29 I've dropped down to 60 and it's pretty good. Think a bit more tweaking needed but it's between 50 and 60 for perfect I think 

On G920 I don't feel any difference, except for dramatically increased intensity of certain Suspension effects, and I had 150 hours before the FFB patch, so if something else changed I would definetely be able to feel it.

personnaly ffb need update for tarmac 

• Agree 1

One X

Thrustmast TX base

The update (imho) is a huge step in the right direction, I'm really happy with it!

I agree with some of the others that some canned fx on tarmac would be nice but overall I'm really enjoying it.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1