FFB fixed? No, we need VIBRATIONS!!

Posted (edited)

It seems that many players do not understand.
What we need is vibrations, not adjustment of the FFB.

Depending on the type of controller, one or two motors are connected to the steering shaft by a gear or a belt, and FFB is expressed by the power of that motor(s).
It is vibrations that is expressed by a motor different from them.
So the commands sent from the game program to the controller are different between FFB and vibrations.
In DiRT Rally 2.0, vibrations does not work at all, vibrations' commands are not sent at all.

FFB is the steering reaction force. It is not FFB but vibrations that conveys the condition of the surface.

Implemented in version 1.4.1 is just a "like vibrations" representation of small FFBs, not vibrations.
You should be clearly understood that DiRT Rally's FFB is unnaturalness in comparison with the other driving simulators.
No matter how smooth the tarmac, the load on the tires by steering operation and the gravels on the road shoulder cause small vibrations.
It does not vibrate at all in DiRT Rally 2.0.

I think that the CM programmers have had a lot of hardship, but what they are doing is misplaced.
I previously told Christina that the problem was not FFB but vibrations. It is a pity that she did not understand.

Many players have complained using the word "FFB", but what they want is vibrations, not adjustment of FFB.
We need vibrations!!

Please do not use the word "FFB" for the problem of lack of information transmitted from the steering wheel from now on, say "vibrations".
And Cristina, please mention vibrations in the future. We were not talking about FFB from the beginning. It is a vibrations.

Please mount vibrations as soon as possible. If your current programmer is inexperienced, ask your predecessors and / or programmers working on the F1 series.

Edited by Buddyspike
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, Buddyspike said:

Depending on the type of controller, one or two motors are connected to the steering shaft by a gear or a belt, and FFB is expressed by the power of that motor(s).
So the commands sent from the game program to the controller are different between FFB and vibrations.
In DiRT Rally 2.0, vibrations does not work at all, vibrations' commands are not sent at all.

Implemented in version 1.4.1 is just a "like vibrations" representation of small FFBs, not vibrations.
You should be clearly understood that DiRT Rally's FFB is unnaturalness in comparison with the other driving simulators.
No matter how smooth the tarmac, the load on the tires by steering operation and the gravels on the road shoulder cause small vibrations.

I think that the CM programmers have had a lot of hardship, but what they are doing is misplaced.
I previously told Christina that the problem was not FFB but vibrations. It is a pity that she did not understand.

Many players have complained using the word "FFB", but what they want is vibrations, not adjustment of FFB.
We need vibrations!!

Please do not use the word "FFB" for the problem of lack of information transmitted from the steering wheel from now on, say "vibrations".
And Cristina, please mention vibrations in the future. We were not talking about FFB from the beginning. It is a vibrations.

Please mount vibrations as soon as possible. If your current programmer is inexperienced, ask your predecessors and / or programmers working on the F1 series.

Can you change the word "We" by "I" in your post please ? You don't speak for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 13

55 minutes ago, Buddyspike said:

We need vibrations!!

Much simpler and has already been proven that they should allow the modding community fix it like they did for the first title.

• Agree 1

What we need is for everyone to STFU. Accept that Codies knew what they were doing, and do know what they're doing, when they developed this game. It's just fine the way it is.

• Disagree 5

9 hours ago, Buddyspike said:

So are you talking only about those wheels that have separate vibration/rumble motors?

Yes, that is probably true - although most wheels do not have a dedicated vibration function.

We need vibrations!!

No, the core problem WAS the FFB, which they have corrected and allowed for far greater adjustment to.

An additional layer is the 'generic' road surface feel, which can be delivered via the main shaft motor, or separate rumble motors if fitted. Again, most wheels don't have these motors. I agree with you though, it would be nice if that rumble was present in the wheels that have that functionality.

I will respectfully ignore your request and I recommend others do to. Certainly when I say FFB I mean FFB, not vibration. If you wish to pursue bespoke vibration/rumble functionality then go for it, but please don't attempt to derail the perfectly valid FFB discussion along the way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Parece que muchos jugadores no entienden.
Lo que necesitamos es vibraciones , no ajuste del FFB.

Dependiendo del tipo de controlador, uno o dos motores están conectados al eje de la dirección por medio de un engranaje o una correa, y FFB se expresa por la potencia de ese motor (es).
Se trata de vibraciones que se expresan por un motor diferente a ellas.
Por lo tanto, los comandos enviados desde el programa de juego al controlador son diferentes entre FFB y vibraciones.
En DiRT Rally 2.0, las vibraciones no funcionan en absoluto, los comandos de vibraciones no se envían en absoluto.

Implementado en la versión 1.4.1 es solo una representación "similar a vibraciones" de FFB pequeños, no vibraciones .
Debe entenderse claramente que el FFB de DiRT Rally no es natural en comparación con los otros simuladores de conducción.
No importa qué tan suave sea el asfalto, la carga sobre los neumáticos por la dirección y las gravas en el borde de la carretera causan pequeñas vibraciones.
No vibra en absoluto en DiRT Rally 2.0.

Creo que los programadores de CM han tenido muchas dificultades, pero lo que están haciendo está fuera de lugar.
Anteriormente le dije a Christina que el problema no era el FFB sino las vibraciones. Es una pena que ella no entendiera.

Muchos jugadores se han quejado con la palabra "FFB", pero lo que quieren son vibraciones, no ajustes de FFB.
Necesitamos vibraciones !!

Por favor, no use la palabra "FFB" para el problema de falta de información transmitida desde el volante a partir de ahora, diga "vibraciones".
Y Cristina, por favor menciona las vibraciones en el futuro. No estábamos hablando de FFB desde el principio. Es una vibración.

Por favor monte las vibraciones tan pronto como sea posible. Si su programador actual no tiene experiencia, pregunte a sus predecesores y / o programadores que trabajan en la serie F1.

Es cierto, se supone que la mayoría sabe cómo se siente en un auto real cuando se va por una autopista, la cantidad de vibraciones, desniveles, baches, etc en Dirt Rally 2.0 no se sienten, parece que fueras flotando; llegas a sentir algo sólo si te sales un poco del camino de lo contrario no se siente nada en asfalto. A parte de eso me surgió otro problema y es que tengo el Fanatec csl Elite ps4 y después de la actualización que hicieron las luces leds de éste se invirtieron, ya no inician de izquierda a derecha a medida que voy acelerando sino que inicia de derecha a izquierda: ¿qué pasó? Y por último, por qué no desbloquean el control deslizante del "motor" y de los neumáticos o cómo se desbloquean?

Want vibrations? Attach favorite dildo of choice to steering wheel. Engage vibration. Fixed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Buddyspike, i want to feel tire friction and only slight vibrations from the suspension! That's FFB!

• Agree 1

I too would like more vibration and road noise, I quite liked the way that felt in DR. Of course, as usual, simply make it adjustable so those who don't like it or feel it's unrealistic can turn it off. 

Speak for yourself. FFB now is OK, the game has more important issues than that now, like bugs, broke AI and visibility in rain and night. After this patch I don't see the FFB something that has to be improved immediately because is good enough.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Doomguy405 said:

I too would like more vibration and road noise, I quite liked the way that felt in DR. Of course, as usual, simply make it adjustable so those who don't like it or feel it's unrealistic can turn it off. 

I get waaaay too much road noise if Suspension setting is at 100. What is the purpose of even more? The wheel is rattling around like crazy at high settings. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, Buddyspike said:

FFB is the steering reaction force. It is not FFB but vibrations that conveys the condition of the surface.

We need vibrations!!

FFB is fine now, just needs tweaking from Codies end.

Posted (edited)

If it is vibration that you like the most in driving, you should use a gamepad, it makes it very well, no fine vibrations of tires are returned in a real steering Wheel. Dirt Rally 2.0 is made for simulating the real rally Driving, not for arcade style ( you have Dirt 4 for that ). 

The new FFB is very nice, thanks a lot to Codemasters for keeping the course of the simulation

Edited by Didd31

I agree partially with this post. I also have very little feeling of high frequency noise on the road texture. Comparing to DR1 it's almost non-existent. 

13 hours ago, bogani said:

I get waaaay too much road noise if Suspension setting is at 100. What is the purpose of even more? The wheel is rattling around like crazy at high settings. 

It's there so that you can simulate a car without any power steering, or power steering failure during a stage 😉

7 hours ago, Pistro said:

It's there so that you can simulate a car without any power steering, or power steering failure during a stage 😉

Well, since power steering failure isn't a thing in the game and you don't get vibrations through the steering wheel without power steering, not really :classic_tongue:

Making the wheel extremely heavy with power steering failure would be really neat though, but I guess that would end up with many burnt out FFB wheels out there. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

The FFB is indeed improved which is great. But there are still things they can improve on. There's still something missing for me personally.

The settings that are greyed out (engine and tyre slip) could be the elements needed to make it spot on. Feeling the rumble of the engine through the wheel for example would create a more immersive feeling. Now you don't feel any feedback through the wheel coming from the engine which you can clearly feel when going in a straight line on almost any surface. It shouldn't be feedback that snaps your wrists but just a light vibration might not be out of place.

It was mentioned that they are still working on it and will release FFB patches so I'll wait to provide my final conclusions once they finalised it.

Edited by SimVansevenant

6 hours ago, bogani said:

you don't get vibrations through the steering wheel without power steering, not really :classic_tongue:

Huh? I haven't driven a road car without a power steering, but I have driven go-karts, which don't have power steering and they can shake your teeth out with the ammount of vibrtions that's translated through the wheel. They also don't have suspension so the effect is amplified. Another example of vibrations being stronger in a car without a power steering is Indy Cars. Just watch some onboards on yt, from street circuits, and compare it to F1 for example, which has power steering. Stronger power steering is obviously going to reduce the intensity of vibrations coming through the front wheels.

17 minutes ago, Pistro said:

Huh? I haven't driven a road car without a power steering, but I have driven go-karts, which don't have power steering and they can shake your teeth out with the ammount of vibrtions that's translated through the wheel. They also don't have suspension so the effect is amplified. Another example of vibrations being stronger in a car without a power steering is Indy Cars. Just watch some onboards on yt, from street circuits, and compare it to F1 for example, which has power steering. Stronger power steering is obviously going to reduce the intensity of vibrations coming through the front wheels.

Go-karts doesn't have a steering rack in that sense. You have the wheels connected directly to what you hold in your hands. If you turn the steering wheel 10 degrees your wheels will turn 10 degrees. It's a very different thing. 

I've both raced and daily driven lots of cars without power steering. You get really heavy steering when stationary, in the pits or at hairpins, but there is not much vibration coming through the steering wheel. 

In cars with power steering you lose the 'direct connection' feel to some degree and it can feel a bit vague in comparison. 

3 minutes ago, bogani said:

Go-karts doesn't have a steering rack in that sense. You have the wheels connected directly to what you hold in your hands. If you turn the steering wheel 10 degrees your wheels will turn 10 degrees. It's a very different thing. 

I've both raced and daily driven lots of cars without power steering. You get really heavy steering when stationary, in the pits or at hairpins, but there is not much vibration coming through the steering wheel. 

In cars with power steering you lose the 'direct connection' feel to some degree and it can feel a bit vague in comparison. 

In the very first video I found on yt, of someone driving a road car without power steering for the first time, the first thing he notices is increased vibration (he calls them little bumps): 

2 hours ago, Pistro said:

In the very first video I found on yt, of someone driving a road car without power steering for the first time, the first thing he notices is increased vibration (he calls them little bumps): 

I'm not saying there is zero vibrations. It's nothing like a go-kart though. 

• Agree 1