Sign in to follow this  

How do we counter cyber bullies on grid autosport?

Recently, there has been some unpleasant goings on, within grid auto-sport. The individuals responsible, were to my knowledge bullies from the off, and have continued to escalate their "school playground behaviour" , which has influenced many people I know on the game in a negative way, for a short period of time. Personally, dealing with bullies is like "swatting flies", but there are others out there they may not be as strong minded, and may unfortunately suffer further as a consequence. How do we bring a stop to these individuals, causing the trouble they do? How do we stop them manipulating the "playlists" to their advantage? And how do we stop them from social engineering? Cyber bullying happens across most networks, social, gaming so on, the results, from reading past stories in relation to this issue, are catastrophic!.

If you mean verbal attacks, I just laugh them off. They talk behind the comfort of their monitors, knowing they'll never butt heads in person. Their words mean nothing.

If you mean on the track, just take them out yourself. If there's a large group of them, in most cases you'll have to find another lobby, but that's the worst case scenario.

Wether in the virtual world, or the real world- People are jerks.
you need to get over it and stop whining.
as mentioned above, if you're a little too sensitive for a few bad words, I suggest using the 'mute' button on the Online lobby screen.
If you feel that you're entitled to random people on the internet giving you the respect you so obviously deserve, maybe you should disconnect all your online devices.
I am deeply scared for a world where over sensitive people cry to the authorities about what a random jerk said/did to them on an online racing game.
Or, Maybe you can just get your Mummy to call their Mummy and tell them to play fair, because you're a very special snowflake who needs to have everything his own way.
Maybe you should take these grievances somewhere like Tumbler, were you'll find someone to stroke your victim status.

D4ZZL4R said:

Recently, there has been some unpleasant goings on, within grid auto-sport. The individuals responsible, were to my knowledge bullies from the off, and have continued to escalate their "school playground behaviour" , which has influenced many people I know on the game in a negative way, for a short period of time. Personally, dealing with bullies is like "swatting flies", but there are others out there they may not be as strong minded, and may unfortunately suffer further as a consequence. How do we bring a stop to these individuals, causing the trouble they do? How do we stop them manipulating the "playlists" to their advantage? And how do we stop them from social engineering? Cyber bullying happens across most networks, social, gaming so on, the results, from reading past stories in relation to this issue, are catastrophic!.

GT on Xbox 360 is the same as here.  I'll run slow and clean with you all night.

@SirDriftalots.... If I remember you said my girlfriend looks like your retarded nephew.... You fall into a very similar category to this thread. Bullies are bullies whether it's virtual or reality. Someone that takes their insecurities out on somebody else. Some people take it to heart more heavily than others but who's right is it to say they aren't allowed to do that? You don't know anything about a person's background over the Internet, somebody you haven't met etc.... Some people need to learn to keep their foolish and abusive comments to themselves. Like your little crack at me months ago. Instead of pointing at the victim that's being bullied how about you focus on something more productive than name calling. It's not big or clever.

as mentioned above, if you're a little too sensitive for a few bad words, I suggest using the 'mute' button on the Online lobby screen.
If you feel that you're entitled to random people on the internet giving you the respect you so obviously deserve, maybe you should disconnect all your online devices.
I am deeply scared for a world where over sensitive people cry to the authorities about what a random jerk said/did to them on an online racing game.
Or, Maybe you can just get your Mummy to call their Mummy and tell them to play fair, because you're a very special snowflake who needs to have everything his own way.
Maybe you should take these grievances somewhere like Tumbler, were you'll find someone to stroke your victim status.
As I said "I swat them like flies", so how am I "whining" when I can easily deal with them? My concern is for the "less" strong in mind and the "less" strong willed!!! We here that have all posted can "stand them up", my question was "how do we stop them"! RE-READ MY POST!!!

After reading all comments here, it is conclusive that the "bullies" feed from attention, so to "not" fuel the fire would be to ignore them completely, they would get bored without a reaction, and disappear. It isn't a complete "solution to the cause of the problem" ,but would definitely "suppress" the symptoms of it.

D4ZZL4R said:

How do you know they are "bullying" and not just reacting to the way they are treated by others?  I'm also guessing certain "victims" like to follow these "bullies" around trying to get the better of them and then complain when it doesn't work out for them. 

Simple solution.... leave the lobby and find another.

Great post!!!!  Over sensitivity is rife on this game.   

D4ZZL4R said:
After reading all comments here, it is conclusive that the "bullies" feed from attention, so to "not" fuel the fire would be to ignore them completely, they would get bored without a reaction, and disappear. It isn't a complete "solution to the cause of the problem" ,but would definitely "suppress" the symptoms of it.
Yep,  that'll work.   Leave the "bullies" to their own devices.   They may be able to get a decent race on if the over sensitive stay away.  

Past two nights on Xbox 360 have been a NOOBZONE.  There have been a few "bullies" come and go into the lobby me and my team were in.  

We just dished out some of their own medicine, and the problem was solved.  The bullies cried about being crashed into.........which is kinda funny, seeing how they start it, then cry when the favour is returned.  

LOL :smiley: 

D4ZZL4R said:
Yep,  that'll work.   Leave the "bullies" to their own devices.   They may be able to get a decent race on if the over sensitive stay away.  

Past two nights on Xbox 360 have been a NOOBZONE.  There have been a few "bullies" come and go into the lobby me and my team were in.  

We just dished out some of their own medicine, and the problem was solved.  The bullies cried about being crashed into.........which is kinda funny, seeing how they start it, then cry when the favour is returned.  

The gaming community, is for "everyone", noobs (as you categorize them), and veterans or experienced gamers alike! To be a leader, means you need to "lead by example", from what you describe, you are as much a bully as they are, you are as bad! You talk about leaving the lobby when things get rough, yet then you say you stuck around to get involved in smashing drivers around in the game. Answer me this, are you standing on your feet or on your head?

D4ZZL4R said:

How do you know they are "bullying" and not just reacting to the way they are treated by others?  I'm also guessing certain "victims" like to follow these "bullies" around trying to get the better of them and then complain when it doesn't work out for them. 

Simple solution.... leave the lobby and find another.

Pass.......pffffft

Amazing, anyway, if you want to stay safe, do not become a victim, stand your ground, do not be manipulated, do not be intimidated, do not be pushed around, do not submit to "the playground". Some here need to take a leaf out of their own book, and apply it!!! Peace out.

D4ZZL4R said:
 I think this is the best advice you can get. Well written.   

I strongly believe that this problem is a two-way street.  If you don't want any problems you can easily avoid them. Unlike real life, you have very good methods to completely detach yourself form this negativity but you need to stay consistent. Either you in or completely out of it. There is no in between. I don't have any sympathies towards those who decide to smash people out in revenge. 

I only respond to friendly voices and just simply avoid the people i know will try to take me out. Worked out for me so far  :smile: 

D4ZZL4R said:

D4ZZL4R said:

The gaming community, is for "everyone", noobs (as you categorize them), and veterans or experienced gamers alike! To be a leader, means you need to "lead by example", from what you describe, you are as much a bully as they are, you are as bad! You talk about leaving the lobby when things get rough, yet then you say you stuck around to get involved in smashing drivers around in the game. Answer me this, are you standing on your feet or on your head?
Im sat on my ass.  

Correct -  the gaming community is for everyone.  Fairly sure no one said it wasn't.

Let me just correct you,   I dont leave a lobby because things got rough.   Im not over sensitive.    I just change my play style. 

Leaving the lobby was merely a preventative measure to stop any over sensitive feelings gets hurt. 

This thread is about "How do we counter cyber bullies?"   I offered you a suggestion.  

I dont have a problem with online cyber bullying.    Its like storm says.....Its avoidable.  All you have to do is leave. 

Have you discovered "Custom Cup"   You can make your own lobby, and play by your own rules,  if anyone joins who you dont like, or dont want in your lobby, you can simply kick them out.  Happy days.  

I can't believe I'm actually reading this crap. Justifying the actions of a Bully???
 Wow  lol.  I Give up on the human species and their stupidity.

Cyber Bullying is an extremely sensitive topic. Whilst I'm OK for you to discuss it, so long as you don't name and shame, make sure you act like respectable people and not childish kids. One or two of you are getting very close to crossing the line when there is no need to.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Have you discovered "Custom Cup"   You can make your own lobby, and play by your own rules,  if anyone joins who you dont like, or dont want in your lobby, you can simply kick them out.  Happy days.  
We had a problem with a guy whose GT started with Milk a while back.  We just put in damage, championship standings reversed and took out the flashbacks.  The guy left soon after to troll somewhere else.  lol.

The best thing to do combat them is to block and report the player, this is an option that's available as part of Xbox Live, PSN and Steam. (You'll find instructions on how at those links)

Obviously if it is happening here on the forums, you need to let me, @hatta or one of the mods know right away and we can deal with them. One thing I won't have on the forums is bullying, I want you guys to all feel like this is a safe little corner of the internet for you. Likewise Twitter and Facebook also have report functions for people sending you abuse.

I would advise against biting back, don't rise to them, don't message them back. Just hit report and let us/Sony/Microsoft/Valve deal with them for you. No matter what satisfaction you think you might get from arguing back it doesn't compare to the satisfaction you'll get from knowing you got them banned from PSN/Xbox Live or Steam.

Any questions let me know :)

@justbiglee there's been a few occasions where people from on the consoles bring all of the drama onto the forums. Happened against me a few times, racing incidents, people trying to make you look bad etc... Is there anything that can be done about that in the future?

@justbiglee there's been a few occasions where people from on the consoles bring all of the drama onto the forums. Happened against me a few times, racing incidents, people trying to make you look bad etc... Is there anything that can be done about that in the future?
If it hits the forums let me or Luke know :) Send us links/screencaps if needed

If I have a problem with someone's behavior, then by extension, I would also have an even bigger problem with exhibiting that same behavior myself & becoming just like them. I'd rather not stoop to their level by trying to out-bully a bully. The cycle of escalation & retaliation would only paint me to be just as bad as they are (or worse).

Some solutions to bullying:

1. Avoid them. Leave. Remove yourself from the situation. There are other fun things to do elsewhere. No need to drag your day down with pointless hostilities.

2. Ignore them. Carry on like they don't even exist. They thrive on attention & reactions - feed them with neither and they'll soon get bored & move on. If the only thing they can do is say hurtful things, then they're really only 
a powerless infant displaying a passive-aggressive cry for respect because they can't get the genuinely positive attention they crave from somewhere else in their life.

3. Embarrass them. By definition, a bully is insecure & feels compelled to mask their insecurity through public displays of perceived dominance. Pull off their mask & publicly expose their insecurity, and they'll either calm right down or they'll vanish (sometimes after they have an entertaining meltdown confirming their insecurity).

4. Eliminate them. If they persist after reasonable attempts to avoid & ignore them, then exterminate them. Don't try arguing or reasoning with them. Don't bring a knife to a gun-fight. Don't even bring a gun to a gun-fight. Instead, take the fight out of them by completely erasing them, without discussion or hesitation. They don't deserve another chance at the privilege of being allowed to continue in any capacity. Report them to the proper authorities (Xbox Live, online moderators, even law enforcement if it's gone far enough to merit it, etc.) so that disciplinary actions can be taken to remove the bully's ability to participate entirely.