Dirt Rally 2.0 is blurred on consoles of lower power, It must be solved !!!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

May as well weigh in here.

• DiRT Rally 2.0 is designed to run at 60fps on console when driving (replays are 30fps).
    The driving experience is the most important part of the game and ensuring that is as smooth as possible is the game's priority.

• In order to achieve this the base consoles use dynamic resolution scaling (other games do this too), as they cannot always reliably hit 1080p/60fps while running DiRT Rally 2.0.

• Sometimes in more complicated scenarios (like when there are lots of effects or complicated objects on the screen) this means the resolution will decrease in order to retain the framerate.

• A 1080p/30fps option is not available as the performance of some physics elements are tied to the framerate, and locking that to 30 would cause additional issues.

• As this is a core part of how the game functions, I would not expect an update to be made to this in the future.

@Dementiy, the games you referred to above both run at 30fps on base-level hardware (Forza Horizon 4 only runs above 30fps on Xbox One X and Windows 10).

The bump up to 60fps provides a smoother experience but that comes at a cost as twice as much data needs to run through the console.

With racing games on base-level hardware a choice often has to be made, higher resolution or smoother performance. Smoother performance was chosen as above all else, it's the driving that matters. 

Because of that design choises we have the current situation. These 30 fps games are amazing games, dirt rally 2.0 - a blurry mess with screen tearing and fps drops. Yeah, very smooth experience.

forza motorsport 7 - 1080/60 fps
dirt rally 1.0 - 1080/60 fps 

If dirt rally 2.0 can't achieve the results of dirt rally 1.0 and be as good, then it's not 2.0. It's 0.5. 👺

Edited by Dementiy
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dementiy said:

Because of that design choises we have the current situation. These 30 fps games are amazing games, dirt rally 2.0 - a blurry mess with screen tearing and fps drops. Yeah, very smooth experience.

forza motorsport 7 - 1080/60 fps
dirt rally 1.0 - 1080/60 fps 

If dirt rally 2.0 can't achieve the results of dirt rally 1.0 and be as good, then it's not 2.0. It's 0.5. 👺

You were talking about Horizon 4 and DriveClub (also 30FPS btw) not Forza 7 and DR1 🤣 can't just change your argument to older games whenever it suits you

Just get over it man, you have a ***** console (which I also have, just to be clear) that can't run the game as well as modern hardware can

15 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

You were talking about Horizon 4 and DriveClub (also 30FPS btw) not Forza 7 and DR1 🤣 can't just change your argument to older games whenever it suits you

Just get over it man, you have a ***** console (which I also have, just to be clear) that can't run the game as well as modern hardware can

I mentioned it a couple of posts earlier. :classic_smile:

Lowest power, but dirt rally 1.0 looks like 2.0 compared to dirt rally 2.0.

And again:

• Agree 1

On 6/21/2019 at 6:53 PM, MattyH1812 said:

That seems fair enough but I would have preferred to have known this before I paid £74.99 to play it on my ***** console :classic_rolleyes:

Everyone moaning about it. The game has less problems than at launch thanks to the patches. Admittedly some still remain but overall the game is excellent. If you don't like it, play something else. Other games whatever the genre are not without fault.

I for one enjoy Dirt 2.0, in fact I've not played much else since I got it. 

• Haha 1