Gray fade after terminal crash, keep or toss?

Gray fade after terminal crash  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Keep or toss?

• Keep It!
    • Toss it!
    • I don't care!

Posted (edited)

I'm reading more and more negative comments about this feature. Time to get rid of it or it's a good thing? I'd be cool if you'll explain your answer after voting.

Edited by MrHawk

They have to do something pretty quickly after you crash to ensure you can flash back far enough to avoid the crash next time. A fade seems as good as anything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottishwildcat said:

They have to do something pretty quickly after you crash to ensure you can flash back far enough to avoid the crash next time. A fade seems as good as anything.

Agree, so if you disable the flashbacks you should get rid of the fade after the crash, right? It would be nice

• Agree 2

I really could not care less. If I hit a wall at 250km, the car isn't going to survive the hit regardless of grey or not. In all honesty, its just a trivial thing. 

11 hours ago, mceci1 said:

I really could not care less. If I hit a wall at 250km, the car isn't going to survive the hit regardless of grey or not. In all honesty, its just a trivial thing. 

Ok but let's say you hit a wall at 50 km/h maybe after a spin where you have tried to break from high speed and you slow down enough to just make a contact with the wall, so one of the front tires breaks and you are not able to continue. Is it right? To me sounds more realistic and immersive to continue with a broken suspension or a bad puncture trying to bring the car back to the pits and keep fighting. Right now The system after a contact is so nonsense, you find yourself forced to retire even after a small collision or you just go away without problems.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, MrHawk said:

Ok but let's say you hit a wall at 50 km/h maybe after a spin where you have tried to break from high speed and you slow down enough to just make a contact with the wall, so one of the front tires breaks and you are not able to continue. Is it right? To me sounds more realistic and immersive to continue with a broken suspension or a bad puncture trying to bring the car back to the pits and keep fighting. Right now The system after a contact is so nonsense, you find yourself forced to retire even after a small collision or you just go away without problems.

Concrete wall would do the damage. Also, stopping you is true to FIA rules. According to the rules, if you have a significantly damaged car that is dangerous you must stop. That's why Nico was reprimanded at Austria in 2016.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mceci1 said:

Concrete wall would do the damage. Also, stopping you is true to FIA rules. According to the rules, if you have a significantly damaged car that is dangerous you must stop. That's why Nico was reprimanded at Austria in 2016.

And letting a crash action go is true to the real world rules. Why is it so hard to understand? With that grey fade you are UNABLE to know where your car goes or who will you hit if you lose the control after a terminal crash. I hate when i'm about to randomly involve someone else in an accident, the game stops and that driver is in the final leaderboard - or worst - on the podium. 
That episode in Austria with Nico is true but what about some in game penalties if it happens? Or just let the ai to take control of your car if you are dangerous, so it can park automatically like when you are black flagged. It's easy and it does not kill the immersion.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Toss it.

It's an immersion killer, it makes the game feel arcadey. Also, I've had crashes with AI that end both our races - I remember me and Stroll crashing like this at China T1 and his wheel came off, just after my first stop on like lap 20 of 56 - and then the results show him as finishing in P8.

Slightly related, another thing that needs to go, is AI taking over your car once you finish your last hotlap in qualifying, we need a manual in-lap, this will also help to prevent the AI quali bug.

Edited by Ho3n3r
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ho3n3r said:

Toss it.

It's an immersion killer, it makes the game feel arcadey. Also, I've had crashes with AI that end both our races - I remember me and Stroll crashing like this at China T1 and his wheel came off, just after my first stop on like lap 20 of 56 - and then the results show him as finishing in P8.

Slightly related, another thing that needs to go, is AI taking over your car once you finish your last hotlap in qualifying, we need a manual in-lap, this will also help to prevent the AI quali bug.

Agree, there are a lot of little (some not so little) things that kill the immersion. It really bothers me because it could be an infinitely better game in terms of immersion with so little effort by Codemasters in fixing all this flaws but they keep ignoring them.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The slow motion thing NEEDS to go. I was playing AMS driving the 2018 F1 car at Melbourne going through turns 11 & 12 (The fast left right), touched the grass on exit and suddenly spun and smashed into the wall at full speed, I literally flinched when it happened and it scared the **** out of me. This experience literally can't happen in Codies F1 games because of the slow motion and black & white effect, it completely ruins any sense of impact, which is a massive shame.  

Edited by LFSwicked
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LFSwicked said:

The slow motion thing NEEDS to go. I was playing AMS driving the 2018 F1 car at Melbourne going through turns 11 & 12 (The fast left right), touched the grass on exit and suddenly spun and smashed into the wall at full speed, I literally flinched when it happened and it scared the **** out of me. This experience literally can't happen in Codies F1 games because of the slow motion and black & white effect, it completely ruins any sense of impact, which is a massive shame.  

Plus I've noticed that sometimes the speed of the car during the fade decrease in an unnatural way, from like 200 kmh to 0 in a few meters, that's very bad! 

Yeah the grey effect needs to go ruins the immersion

• Agree 2

SA tue littéralement l'immersion du crash je déteste, je suis sur si j'aurais pas l'effet gris j'accepterai mieux mon retrait.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Posted (edited)

I've always disliked it as it takes away a lot of immersion and feels incredibly outdated. Without the effect it would have so much more impact to see the crash play out and sit there for a while with the engine off, just letting your mistake sink in before actually retiring. 

Currently it just feels like a bad 'Game-over' sequence. I understand the purpose for the flashbacks, but maybe they could disable it when you dont have flashbacks on, or why not for multiplayer where there's no flashbacks at all?

Edited by Worntoathread
Grammar
  • Agree 1

Get rid of the fade!

Simple reason... Fernando Alonso in Baku! ENOUGH SAID.

Wrestled the car back to the pits on two wheels, turned it into a podium.... we ABSOLUTELY CANNOT do this on a codemasters F1 game... its ridiculous actually.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, vincenzo19 said:

Get rid of the fade!

Simple reason... Fernando Alonso in Baku! ENOUGH SAID.

Wrestled the car back to the pits on two wheels, turned it into a podium.... we ABSOLUTELY CANNOT do this on a codemasters F1 game... its ridiculous actually.

You are being very economical with the facts here...

1. He didn't have a race-ending collision, he had a double puncture. Had his suspension been ripped off (the only way you get a DNF in the game when crashing), he would've retired as well.

2. He finished nowhere near the podium, he finished P7.

Sorry, not sure at all why I wrote podium....it was 7th.

However... that is in fact a race-ending collision in the wrong hands.... the point is - you have an opportunity to make the decision.

Alonso had substantial floor damage btw.... cant even get that in the game to begin with, so not sure why you've been so 'uneconomical' with your point here....

• Agree 1

regardless of been able to drive back to the pit with the damaged cars witch is kind of impossible now if you loose a wheel it stays attached, unlike in the past they used to be able to come back on 3 wheels like shumi in spa 98  

but it not the point the grey fade needs to go as it an immersion killer. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, vincenzo19 said:

Sorry, not sure at all why I wrote podium....it was 7th.

However... that is in fact a race-ending collision in the wrong hands.... the point is - you have an opportunity to make the decision.

Alonso had substantial floor damage btw.... cant even get that in the game to begin with, so not sure why you've been so 'uneconomical' with your point here....

Keep clutching.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, Ho3n3r said:

Keep clutching.

Christ....Grow up! you cant say anything on here these days, fools like this will only aim to shoot you down, nothing more.

• Disagree 1

I really don't care. You try to avoid that screen so I don't care if it's fade to grey. There is much more important stuff to get upset about.

Clearly get rid of it. It completely takes away the element of crashing your car and causing a situation of danger for the other cars. 

First: if I crash I want to see the crash in replay with correctly calculated physics (at least what the engine is able to simulate)

second: I want to be crashing a part of my career. If I crash I want this crash to be on my season „highlights“

third: if I crash with other cars and they have terminal damage I don’t want to see them in the final results and they finished the race. 

So this should be the basic concept about player crashing their cars. I guess the problem is, that the engine isn’t really simulating this aspect correctly. That’s why instant replays are so short and that’s why they fade to black. Because the second you are out of the race the other cars aren’t simulated on track anymore. I guess the whole world in game exists only when you are driving. But a real simulation simulates a world entirely and you are just a part of it. 

Hope that makes a bit of sense. English isn’t my native language. 

In short: it has to go because it kills immersion and realism big time but I guess it’s not that easy to do for the dev team because the engine the game is based on doesn’t support this. I guess legacy from Dirt and other Arcady racing games from the past. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2