F1 2020 Features — Suggestions and Ideas

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

I know F1 2019 isn't even out (and I can't wait for it), but the sooner the better (especially true when you speak about video games suggestions).

So here are my suggestions for the next game(s). I really hope most of them will get implemented in the next years. The team did awesome job with F1 2019, especially regarding graphics and UI. In my opinion, the visual aspect is now so realist that maybe the team could focus on other features for the next games, allowing them to evolve in term of gameplay and not only of graphics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Important features From easy to hard to implement

Manual Pit Stop Allow players to drive manually in the pitlane, brake and turn freely. *(see end of post)

Outlap (Cool-off lap) Allow players to drive the outlap at the end of the race. Would allow us to cool-off, enjoy our result, immerse ourselves even more. The driver could have hand animations like stretching the index showing his joy, waving at the grandstands, clapping... And Jeff could congratulate or comfort us depending on the result.

Visor Camera The rendering of rain drops on the screen is awesome. Wouldn't it be even more with a Visor Cam ? Simply plagiarize Project Cars if you want, but implement it: the community is asking for this feature for years.

Useful and immersive Jeff In F1 2018/9, Jeff is ok but not very useful and immersive. He only gives basic infos, and you often need to ask him. The player relies a lot on the mini-map, an artificial and non-immersive way of displaying infos. It would be awesome if he became proactive. Infos ideas: 

1. "Vettel has lost his front wing/ has an engine failure" Even if you are 11th, it would be very immersive to get this type of info, and emphasize the fact that AIs live their life and do mistakes by their own even when you're not next to them
  2. "Yellow flag in sector 2" Instead of only relying on the map, Jeff could tell the player this kind of infos about what is going on on the whole track
  3. "Hamilton left the track in sector 2"
  4. "Slow car at next turn, be careful"
  5. ...

Oil and debris on the track To make races more interesting, it would be cool that sometimes oil leaks on track, making track slippery at this place. Of course, the stripped flag should be added in game. (F1 Champ Edition used to have this feature back in... 2006).

Oil leaks are pretty rare these days, so it would be more pertinent to make debris more dangerous and damaging: driving on big pieces could damage car/tyres, therefore forcing players to pay attention to yellow flags. Jeff could warn the player by saying "Debris on track after next turn" (see next point).

Marshalls on track This feature would more difficult to implement, but it is asked for years by the commu. Instead of seeing cars, debris and engine smoke magically disappear, it would be simply awesome to see marshalls rushing on track like in reality, extinguishers in hands, or ready to jump out of their intervention vehicles. *(see end of post)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2] Less important features From easy to hard to implement

TV Branding during replays Would be cool to have the ranking of the 20 drivers on the left of the screen like on TV during replays, with the TV branding (UI team did an awesome job with F1 2019)

Return of Red Flags No description needed I think

Tires Flat Spots Since lock-up seems to occur more often in 2019 (great thing), it would be cool that the hardest of them punish the player even more by causing flat spots. Just an idea... And the tires look gorgeous and incredibly detailed this year, so flat spots would add even more beauty to them.

Walking in FPS view before entering car Would be cool to walk through the grid full of journalists, cameramen and engineers in FPS view and getting in your car (always in FPS view), in visor cam to enhance immersion before the warm-up lap and the race.

Driver Behaviors each F1 drivers has its habits: Vettel spins, Ricciardo dive-bombs, Grosjean does... well pretty much anything he shouldn't do, some take bad starts... The AI would gain a lot of deepness if each driver AI had the particularity of the IRL driver. But hard to implement, it's true.

VR Same

*: All humans present on track should be ghosted (not visually but physically I mean), so that cars drive through them. Really hope FOM won't refuse those features because they fear players will try to kill marshalls and pitmen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here are the suggestions I had in mind. The list is long, so we all know these won't get implemented in the next few years. But that would be awesome that the F1 Codies team listens to the community and codes some of them :D. Btw, just wanted to say the graphics and UI teams did an awesome job with F1 2019. And I really hope AIs will stay as agressive as they are in the WIP version, don't listen to people saying there are to risk-taking. Seeing them dive-bomb, cut corners and lock-up is awesome.

Thx for reading!

Edited by TheTomatoes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4

33 minutes ago, TheTomatoes said:

Hey guys,

I know F1 2019 isn't even out (and I can't wait for it), but the sooner the better (especially true when you speak about video games suggestions).

So here are my suggestions for the next game(s). I really hope most of them will get implemented in the next years. The team did awesome job with F1 2019, especially regarding graphics and UI. In my opinion, the visual aspect is now so realist that maybe the team could focus on other features for the next games, allowing them to evolve in term of gameplay and not only of graphics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Important features

Manual Pit Stop Allow players to drive manually in the pitlane, brake and turn freely. *(see end of post)

Outlap Allow players to drive the outlaw at the end of the race. Would allow us to cool-off, enjoy our result, immerse ourselves even more. The driver could have hand animations like stretching the index showing his joy, waving at the grandstands, clapping... And Jeff could congratulate or comfort us depending on the result.

Useful and immersive Jeff In F1 2018/9, Jeff is ok but not very useful and immersive. He only gives basic infos, and you often need to ask him. It would be awesome if he became proactive. Infos ideas: 

1. "Vettel has lost his front wing/ has an engine failure" Even if you are 11th, it would be very immersive to get this type of info, and emphasize the fact that AIs live their life and do mistakes by their own
  2. "Yellow flag in sector 2" Instead of only relying on the map, an artificial and non-immersive way to get infos, Jeff could tell the player this kind of infos about what is going on on the whole track
  3. "Hamilton left the track in sector 2"
  4. "Slow car at next turn, be careful"
  5. ...

Oil and debris on the track To make races more interesting, it would be cool that sometimes oil leaks on track, making track slippery at this place. Of course, the stripped flag should be added in game. (F1 2006 used to have this feature).

Oil leaks are pretty rare these days, so it would be more pertinent to make debris more dangerous: driving on big pieces could damage car/tyres, therefore forcing players to pay attention to yellow flags. Jeff could warn the player by saying "Debris on track after next turn" (see next point).

Marshalls on track This feature would more difficult to implement, but it is asked for years by the commu. Instead of seeing cars, debris and engine smoke magically disappearing, it would be simply awesome to see marshalls rushing on track like in reality. *(see end of post)

Visor Camera The rendering of rain drops on the screen is awesome. Wouldn't it be even more with a Visor Cam ? Simply plagiarize Project Cars if you want, but implement it: the community is asking for this feature for years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[2] Less important features

Vocal Commands Using the menu to communicate with Jeff while driving isn't that easy for new players. It would be awesome to allow us to talk to Jeff using voice commands. As creating a voice recognition also is long and hard, maybe you could ask Google for an Assistant SDK (or maybe it already exists).

Driver Behaviors each F1 drivers has its habits: Vettel spins, Ricciardo dive-bombs, Grosjean does... well pretty much anything he shouldn't do, some take bad starts... The AI would gain a lot of deepness if each driver AI had the particularity of the IRL driver. But hard to implement, it's true.

Return of Red Flags No description needed I think

VR Same

Tyres Flat Spots Since lock-up seems to occur more often in 2019 (great thing), it would be cool that the hardest of them punish the player even more by causing flat spots. Just an idea... And the tires look gorgeous and incredibly detailed this year, so flat spots would add even more beauty to them.

TV Branding during replays Would be cool to have the ranking of the 20 drivers on the left of the screen like on TV during replays, with the TV branding (UI team did an awesome job with F1 2019)

Walking in FPS view before entering car Would be cool to walk through the grid full of journalists, cameramen and engineers in FPS view and getting in your car (always in FPS view), in visor cam to enhance immersion before the warm-up lap and the race.

*: All humans present on track should be ghosted (not visually), so that cars drive through them. Really hope FOM won't refuse those features because they fear players will try to kill marshalls and pitmen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So here are the suggestions I had in mind. The list is long, so we all know these won't get implemented in the next few years. But that would be awesome the the F1 Codies team listen to the community and codes some of them :D. Btw, just wanted to say the graphics and UI teams did an awesome job with F1 2019. And I really hope AIs will stay as agressive as they are in the WIP version, don't listen to people saying there are to risk-taking. Seeing them dive-bomb, cut corners and lock-up is awesome.

Thx for reading!

Well said mate. Finally, a great post instead of begging for a feature in one sentence 🙂
If I would have to pick one of your points, it would be the Outlap. It just adds so much more immersion, I would kill people to have this feature implemented 😄
And honestly it wouldnt be that hard to implement, guess Codies are lazy haha. 

You did a great job guys, and as @TheTomatoes already said: 
Listen to the community even more for the next title. Graphics are awesome, but we NEED changes to the Gameplay. We need something new to get hyped. I mean, I am hyped for F1 2019, but what will be next for 2020? 
I hope that WE can decide what features to come next for 2020. 
thx

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, TheTomatoes said:

Vocal Commands Using the menu to communicate with Jeff while driving isn't that easy for new players. It would be awesome to allow us to talk to Jeff using voice commands. As creating a voice recognition also is long and hard, maybe you could ask Google for an Assistant SDK (or maybe it already exists).

There is already voice comands

• Agree 2

They have the F1 license for alot of years now. Why not build a F1 game with the last 20 years cobined? Like EA Sports F1 Career? Race in the seaon you want, a careermode that change every year. That's what I want! 

• Agree 2

I agree with a lot here especially manual pit stops and being able to drive the cool-down lap after race. 

I also want to add a few wishes:

- More contact between AI, at least on first lap, I can guarantee that in most races at least one driver gets damage to floor or front wing in the first lap, and it would be nice to see small carbon fiber parts flying and punctures. 

- More information on the steering wheel for us that use noe information on the screen and needs to relay on the information on the steering wheel. 

- And out of everything this is the most important to me, and something I don't understand Codemasters have done anything with. That is car handling in the form of oversteer. The oversteer in the game is as realistic as oversteer in Mario Cart. In most cases when a f1 car looses rear grip it completely looses rear grip. With how things are now you can drift around a complete lap of the track. Pay attention to how real f1 cars handle, if the rear tires a to low temperature or you are to heavy on the throttle the car spins around 180° degrees at least with no chance what so ever to correct it. The keyword here is snap-oversteer. For me this is a deal breaker, and with this handling you can go a long way away from the arcade feeling the game has now. At least give us who want the game to be as realistic as possible to turn this on as an option. 

And one more thing, how come I can hear the people in the grandstand in cockpit view in an F1 car going full revs? Maybe if everyone in the grandstand was using a fog horn it would be realistic to hear them. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Uppern said:

- More contact between AI, at least on first lap, I can guarantee that in most races at least one driver gets damage to floor or front wing in the first lap, and it would be nice to see small carbon fiber parts flying and punctures. 

THIS. Why the hell it is not a thing yet. I'm playing Codies F1 since the 2016 edition almost every day and i swear i have never witness an AI first corner or first lap crash. Totally unreal.

• Like 1

• New cutscenes. Get rid of all the old cutscenes. Make the drivers look more life like.
  • Multiple HUD's to choose from
  • An engineer that proposes set ups based on practice runs
  • Multiple engineers to choose from preferably all with a different accent like an Italian or French accent.
  • F1 manager gameplay 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaymondSmits said:

They have the F1 license for alot of years now. Why not build a F1 game with the last 20 years cobined? Like EA Sports F1 Career? Race in the seaon you want, a careermode that change every year. That's what I want! 

Would take years to do I think. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Uppern said:

More contact between AI, at least on first lap, I can guarantee that in most races at least one driver gets damage to floor or front wing in the first lap, and it would be nice to see small carbon fiber parts flying and punctures. 

In most races I play (F1 2017) or videos I see (2018), there is always a bit of contact and flying carbon in first turns. Maybe it's just random ?

I agree that AI punctures are pretty rare tho

Edited by TheTomatoes

On 5/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, Auryel27 said:

There is already voice comands

Unfortunately not on xbox one version! Ps4 and PC y already yes.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:02 PM, TheTomatoes said:

In most races I play (F1 2017) or videos I see (2018), there is always a bit of contact and flying carbon in first turns. Maybe it's just random ?

I agree that AI punctures are pretty rare tho

Agreed. I too see debris however I don't believe for a second that the AI are as affected as what the player is in a similar situation which is a bit poor.

I'd also like to add that I want setups to matter for the AI based on conditions. Time again I see a wet qualy and AI beating me quite a bit which says they are running more of a wet setup than I (tbf I'm not fantastic in the wet but still). Come the race, they are still faster which suggests otherwise. Did they all just gamble with a dry setup in qualy and just be that good in the wet that they can drive any setup in it? Surely not.

Anyways before they need to think of the above, it may well be in 2019 so I'll have to wait and see for sure.

One thing I would like to see: When damage is set to simulation, the AI should also be set to simulation damage

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, SoluxFin said:

@Scott1904 I thought they worked with Kinect.

Yes that’s right you need the now defunct Kinect for voice commands

On 5/20/2019 at 6:03 PM, vpilotnick said:

it wouldnt be that hard to implement

Bzzzt... that's my cue to stop reading any post on here.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, tarrantino said:

Yes that’s right you need the now defunct Kinect for voice commands

Yes, this is working. But kinect is not realy supported anymore and nobody want kinect. how this can be so difficult to enable the feature without kinect for us. I dont understand it! no officially answer from codemasters so far. I opened also a threat for F1 2019.

Posted (edited)
  • Listen to there fans actually give us something new like a grand prix start from the pitlane for adjustments to your front wing etc puncture.
  • Cool down lap
  • Classic track or tracks
  • F1 2012 weather system half track wet the other half dry based on sector points to make races interesting
  • Bring back some features from the xbox 360 ps3 games you forgot to include in this generation of consoles

Edited by Chromatic
  • Agree 1

100% manual pit
Finally a Simulator when with no assists (with assists turns SimCade or yet Arcade), that is, a game for every class of players, include the most hardcores
Drive on the last lap to celebrate the victory and take the car to podium