Crash Physics (here me out here)

I know that this is usually an open and closed case... we all complain that crashes aren’t very realistic and feel super weird, then we all agree that sponsors/FOM don’t like to see crumpled up cars, HOWEVER I feel that this is not the discussion we should be having re: crashing.

IMO when two cars touch each other, when they hit each other, or when cars collide with objects and walls the physics are very poor but HEAR ME OUT HERE 😀

I completely agree that we are not buying the game for crashes or making a game for idiots to drive backwards around a circuit however a MASSIVE part of Motorsport is surviving the bump and grind - the first lap is a good example - dancing around cars that have just touched - trying to avoid a crash when it happens in front of you, judging the change in speed this creates between different cars as you dive into a turn. I’m not asking for crumpled up cars, or crazy car crash flips, I just really really wish that contact physics were better and more enjoyable. When someone crashes in front of you, you instinctively react to what the real world tells you, or what you see on TV, however in Codie’s F1 games, you don’t ever really know what will happen - it’s all very random, the physics don’t make sense and  we’ve all had the situation whereby you end up having to use a flashback due to some super Weird crash bugs.

Incidents are Big part of F1 and it should be an exciting spectacle when cars touch in front of you or have an incident however when I play these games I pray for no crashes because they look and feel awful. This in turn impacts the immersion and feel of a race weekend..... And don’t get me started on the safety car!!

let me know what you think.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 4

This is the biggest problem in f1 game series right now. Crashes and physics are so bad that they kills the immersion in the game. Some people say damages and physics are not important for racing games and i still believe that kind of people do not know what racing actually is. Contacts are a HUGE factor in racing games and should be almost important as the car handling physics. Crashes are spectacular, immersive and IMHO they add some kind good fear when racing. Obviously with a disable / enable option in the setting menu, so people will not complain about the game to be too simulation-oriented
Racing games without good damages system it's like a great football game with ridiculously unreal contacts between the players during tackles. 

• Confused 1

Games using licenses is allways going to have limited damage.   

On 5/21/2019 at 12:47 PM, MrHawk said:

Some people say damages and physics are not important for racing games and i still believe that kind of people do not know what racing actually is.

I know what racing is and I know that accidents and collisions are not what I am looking for in a game like the F1 series. There are other titles that give fun with crashes, but in the F1 series I want to finish the race and not waste time bumping around for other cars. Any crash ends the game, so what's the point in developing collision physics? I do not understand. In my opinion, the present state is quite sufficient. I would rather the authors focus on the multiplayer mode, the penalty system, the introduction of fair play rules and punishment of onerous players.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with the crash physics. The issue since F1 2015 just seems to be that the cars won't jump at all without a huge collision. Here is a video from 2011 in rF1 (2005).

I feel like if the cars would go back to being a bit more easily to jump or flip, it could make the crashes look better.

Link to source, I just had that clip on my PC ready for use

20 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I don't think there is anything really wrong with the crash physics. The issue since F1 2015 just seems to be that the cars won't jump at all without a huge collision. Here is a video from 2011 in rF1 (2005).

I feel like if the cars would go back to being a bit more easily to jump or flip, it could make the crashes look better.

Link to source, I just had that clip on my PC ready for use

Wowww that looks incredible for a game! Never heard of that game. And to think this is from 2005! Wauw

28 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

Wowww that looks incredible for a game! Never heard of that game. And to think this is from 2005! Wauw

rFactor series has currently a bit bad reputation for the launch of rF2 in 2012. It's getting better though. The handling designer David Greco was also racing in that clip (2011 FSR Monaco GP), so I think he knows what other games are like.

1 hour ago, eMc0B said:

I know what racing is and I know that accidents and collisions are not what I am looking for in a game like the F1 series. There are other titles that give fun with crashes, but in the F1 series I want to finish the race and not waste time bumping around for other cars. Any crash ends the game, so what's the point in developing collision physics? I do not understand. In my opinion, the present state is quite sufficient. I would rather the authors focus on the multiplayer mode, the penalty system, the introduction of fair play rules and punishment of onerous players.

Crash physics are as important as handling physics.

If you know what racing is you should also know that hitting a wall at different speed and at different angles, results in a wide range of damages, from little punctures, to suspension damages or broken wheels. I'm shure you'll agree with me on this: a game that implements these variables changes the way you drive and makes you a bit more conscious about your driving style and the risks you can take (next time you will overtake someone, you'll consider the risk factor much more than you do now).

Today it is not like that, it's all or nothing. There's nothing in the middle, either you have a terminal crash or you just bounce back, you rarely get a puncture from a contact. These little things make difference between arcade games and simulation / simcade games. I think a licensed F1 game deserves better race experience with improved damage physics, I'm sick to see cars bouncing into each other or into the wall without consequences (or small front wing damages) with SIMULATION damages on and I'm not talking about demolition-derby kind of damages, I just want a bit more of variables when collisions happen.

IT CHANGES THE WAY YOU RACE and to me it's very very important, at least you should be a little afraid when driving an F1 car even if it's a videogame and it's race number 1000, these feelings keep the game alive! 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrHawk said:

Crash physics are as important as handling physics.

I will not agree. Even more serious damage to the front wing - which is quite common - is a sign to me that I went wrong. I was not careful and I would lose my time in the pit-stop (repair) or in the next laps due to lack of downforce. Further driving does not make sense. The more so because I usually choose a weaker team. For example, McLaren or Williams.

I would really prefer that the rules of a multiplayer game become a priority for Codemasters. Collision physics is quite enough. As I wrote, this is not what I am looking for.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:56 PM, eMc0B said:

I will not agree. Even more serious damage to the front wing - which is quite common - is a sign to me that I went wrong. I was not careful and I would lose my time in the pit-stop (repair) or in the next laps due to lack of downforce. Further driving does not make sense. The more so because I usually choose a weaker team. For example, McLaren or Williams.

I would really prefer that the rules of a multiplayer game become a priority for Codemasters. Collision physics is quite enough. As I wrote, this is not what I am looking for.

What about the rear of the car? Or some piece of the floor missing after contact which screws up the race? Rear wing broken, diffuser damaged, driveshaft broken after contact with the barrier? 

Just a few things which do still happen and are deciders to end your race or make you work even harder to finish strong.

THAT'S how it should be. Look at hamilton at australia this year, a little piece of the floor missing, 2 seconds a lap GONE! Still he finished 2nd, but he had to work for it. Or Monaco, Lewis on mediums, Max on hard, he won, but he said it was the hardest race ever. That's how you should feel if you gave it your evrything amd then get the best result possible. 

That's realism. That's how it is in real life, so why not in the game? Most realistic ever right? Make damage and failures possible. I would love it! How sick must I feel when racing good, and suddenly my car blows up? Or someone hits me and I lose seconds a lap? 

I want to feel like i gave it my everything in every circumstance, just a hard AI isn't enough, luck should also be a factor. Getting message that you lose power and they're not sure if you finish the race, and you adapt to that, drive around problems.

it's what the real guys do, so why can't we? It's not about the damage, or looking at pieces that fly in the air, it's about when you crash or get crashed into, there's just not enough varation in damage but the front wing. 

I want floor damage, rear damage, damage that puts me to the limit to finish a race. 

Not every race must be or has to be a walkover. Dissapointment is also part of F1

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, AlexTT said:

Not every race must be or has to be a walkover. Dissapointment is also part of F1

There are wear tires, there is a loss of power (because parts wear out), there are damage that results in loss of grip (front wing), different levels of difficulty, assists options. As for me, quite enough to make life miserable. And I assure you that sometimes I have too much excitement :classic_biggrin: 👌.

But here in the comments, Gragooni showed the video, which shows what the author of this thread meant (I think?). And this is a bit funny :classic_biggrin:.

I really would like Codemasters to do something to all fools who drive in multiplayer mode. Many people do not understand correctly the term multiplayer, and crash is the only thing they can squeeze from the car. Collision physics is ok.

The problem with the F1 game's crash physics is the cars are still built of iron. Sometimes you catch the wall right where you get ZERO damage, despite hitting the wall at 100mph, yet same corner you could go in at a shallower angle and take half your front wing and a wheel off. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

cars can be flip in f1 2018 but it takes some luck and not easy to do!

mclaren @ 1:38 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpFLnrLXH0

On 5/28/2019 at 2:26 PM, Gragooni said:

This is how it should be

all sorts of exaggerated wrong in that. 

Gp4 had very good contact physics for a game if that time. It must be said that tyre on tyre contact nowadays is far less likely to launch a car. Contact physics are important and im sorry but they're awful in codies f1 games . Like i said in my OP, i dont want crushed mangled upside down cars, just some better contact physics to create some more action and more immersion. Contact is a bit part of racing when it happens and the games dont reflect this

• Agree 2