I am trying to get Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 from steam to run on windows 10

Question

Hi I have just recently just got a new gaming PC & I am trying to get Colin Mcrae Dirt 2 to run on Windows 10 through steam My PC spec is Intel I5 8400,GTX 1060 6GB,8GB DDR4 Ram,2TB HDD I have installed but when I try to run it nothing comes up on my screen but if I look in steam it says it is running then it just disappears & I dont know what to do& I very much doubt Codemasters will do anything to get it to run properly.

8 answers to this question

I've had this problem with every DiRT game. Check your firewall, mine blocks them until I tell it that the game is safe.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dangerousbrian0 said:

Well I just checked my firewall & it is ticked for allow apps on both public & private computers I think.

Try to disable the antivirus before launching. Sometimes they detect the game exe incorrectly. Suspend realtime file protection for 10 mins and try to start it then.

Edited by BreakerHUN

I just disabled my antivirus booted it up from steam as I usually would do & still nothing it is still not starting the game.

its DiRT 2 so you need to fix GFWL in a workaround way. The old guide i had saved for myself to run DiRT 2 is this

1. Make sure that MS Games for WIndows/GFWL is uninstalled if you have it

2. Download newest possible GFWL installer, possibly here - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/games-for-windows-live-info

3. Before installing, set it to compatibility mode for Windows 7 in properties AND Run as admin.

4. After installing launch GFWL once then fully close it, then copy xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, xliveinstall.dll, xliveinstallhost.exe from Windows/SysWOW64 to Windows/System32

This should be enough to play any GFWL games you have, like DIRT 2 or Original Gears of War for PC etc. Was enough for me on Win8 back then. Not needed on Win7 usually.

Posted (edited)

Ok I have got it running I just can't save it as I can't sign in to activate the game key because obviously the Games For Windows servers are shut down. I did what you said but I could not find one of the files to copy over & it was this one xlive.dll.cat all the rest I just dragged & dropped & then I uninstalled the Games For Windows client but it still will not play the only way I can play it is having the Games For Windows client installed & running the game that way but like I said I just can't save it because I need to be online but there are no online servers to connect to like I said earIier I dont know why Codemasters just did not do a Dirt 3 & code it to use ssome other servers instead or just code it so you can play & save offline.

Edited by dangerousbrian0

I thought I would update this post I now have dirt 2 running & I am now able to save my game thanks to all of your help I only have to remember not log into games for windows everytime I want to play the game.

• Like 1