Jump to content

Mechanical Failures: Still just for AI?

Recommended Posts

This has been a game breaker for career mode for several seasons. You’re in a close title battle and then your main rivals each suffer 2-4 DNF’s during the course of the season while you remain faultless. It’s not a level playing field, surely it can’t be difficult to implement a random failures for user option? Say a 7% chance that a mechanical failure of some sort will affect the player in that session (so it will affect you once every 15 races or so, be it gearbox, engine etc). Obviously make it optional.

This and the absolute absence of any turn 1/lap 1 incidents between the AI over a 21 race season sort of ruin the offline play for me. The AI drive on rails 2 by 2, never miss braking points, take each other out etc. Can’t be that hard to fix?

  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on the failures my friend. I only play championship mode and this would make it more realistic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Failures are possible I pushed my gearbox to the limit to avoid a penalty and paid the price with a total failure from the lead, and I’m not talking about just dropping a gear, it was total failure and had to retire. But that was full race weekend and 100% race distance and it is the only failure I’ve ever had, so I must agree with you that it is unrealistic, and you’re rivals seem to retire much to often, making your victories a bit hollow, especially when it’s during a race that’s clearly there’s to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This won’t change. It’s been asked for years, even as an option for the user. Originally it wasn’t implemented as it felt the casual racer would be annoyed at the failure if you’re leading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, tarrantino said:

This won’t change. It’s been asked for years, even as an option for the user. Originally it wasn’t implemented as it felt the casual racer would be annoyed at the failure if you’re leading. 

I remember it being a feature on Grand Prix 4. Tbh it was quite frustrating if you were most of the way thru a long race only to blow an engine. But the immersion was fantastic. 

If they aren’t going to change it they should give us the option of turning it off for the AI. Less realistic but at least you can have a fair fight in the championship.

As for my second point in the OP, has anybody EVER seen any first lap incidents between the AI on f1 2018?? I’ve done hundreds of races and never seen anybody take anybody out, spin them round etc. Hardly realistic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if to implement such a thing and to make it not so frustrating for those who get annoyed if it happens near the end of the race, whether it would be good if the part(s) that are going to fail just get a big increase in wear and your engineer tells you to adjust your driving otherwise your car will fail and you'll have to retire.

That way it's not an instant DNF and then it's down to you to try a nurse your car home somehow e.g. short shifting if using manual gears, braking less (coasting) to save brakes or fuel consumption (if the failure is with the ICE causing fuel to be used like being in rich mix although you are not in rich) or even having to keep an eye on your ERS or fuel settings because the ECU is playing up or suspension is dodgy so don't touch the curbs.

 

Maybe actual break downs can happen in practice if they could implement testing new parts where the part completely fails or if you decide to use a new part in Qualy or the Race without testing in practice, it could instantly fail? Your fault then for not testing it. This can also implement a system of you choosing the new or old parts to use on your car - by this I mean new spec front wing or floor or rear wing or brakes; not the current gearbox, engine components we can already do (although if 1 of these were improved in R&D, you'd still need to test it to see if it fails or not so then would fall into the new system).

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, martbloke said:

/snip

So, again, make it optional, like Grand Prix 4 had... in 2002.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ho3n3r said:

So, again, make it optional, like Grand Prix 4 had... in 2002.

Exactly. Human errors as a toggle, have either off, as it is now like the parts wearing or realistic. Realistic to have parts wearing and random failures. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why they don't implement random mechanical failure for the player is that the game is not structured to do so. Games such as gp4 and championship edition, have a single player spectator mode, which means if the player experience terminal mechanical failure on the second lap of a 25% race, he or she can choose to watch the rest of the event unfolding. Having a mechanical failure in the first or second lap, which can happen because it's random, would seem really odd in a codies game because of events simple ending, after the car suffers any terminal damage.

Edited by LEWISt17KIMI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, LEWISt17KIMI said:

The reason why they don't implement random mechanical failure for the player is that the game is not structured to do so. Games such as gp4 and championship edition, have a single player spectator mode, which means if the player experience terminal mechanical failure on the second lap of a 25% race, he or she can choose to watch the rest of the event unfolding. Having a mechanical failure in the first or second lap, which can happen because it's random, would seem really odd in a codies game because of events simple ending, after the car suffers any terminal damage.

How would that be any different from crashing out in the game as it is currently, or from blowing up the engine in career when it's worn and you dont replace it? The race 'just ends' already in those scenarios without spectating.

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2019 at 9:02 PM, Worntoathread said:

How would that be any different from crashing out in the game as it is currently, or from blowing up the engine in career when it's worn and you dont replace it? The race 'just ends' already in those scenarios without spectating.

 

The difference is the player would decide when the race event ends in all the scenarios you mention, rather than just end by itself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 7:36 AM, tarrantino said:

This won’t change. It’s been asked for years, even as an option for the user. Originally it wasn’t implemented as it felt the casual racer would be annoyed at the failure if you’re leading. 

But if there's a slider for failures , for example 0-100 the casual racers could play with 0 while the pros play realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

But if there's a slider for failures , for example 0-100 the casual racers could play with 0 while the pros play realistic. 

For future games, I'd like to see 'reliability' added next to the R&D tree instead of just 'durability'. Each upgrade could reduce your chance of a random failure (or increase the wear percentage necessary for a possible failure to occur for parts). I think this could add a whole new layer to the R&D as you'd have balance your upgrade path between aggressive performance with a risk of blowing up or playing it safe, with a reliable but slightly slower developing car. 

Edited by Worntoathread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current implementation of failures isn't that great either. I was following Hulkenberg in a race and then the yellow flag suddenly popped up. My attention wandered for a moment on the straight and there was Hulkenberg slowing to a stop ON THE RACING LINE. The AI should really make more of an effort to get off the racing line when it's obvious they have a race ending failure. I've crashed into the AI a few times because of this and AI failures are way too frequent. The super slow down failure stands out as a really annoying and frequent failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 3:18 AM, 13ss13 said:

I remember it being a feature on Grand Prix 4. Tbh it was quite frustrating if you were most of the way thru a long race only to blow an engine. But the immersion was fantastic. 

If they aren’t going to change it they should give us the option of turning it off for the AI. Less realistic but at least you can have a fair fight in the championship.

As for my second point in the OP, has anybody EVER seen any first lap incidents between the AI on f1 2018?? I’ve done hundreds of races and never seen anybody take anybody out, spin them round etc. Hardly realistic

Man, this was actually a feature in F1 1997! Like you were winning the race by 33 seconds and out of nowhere your engine was ON FIRE and a big amount of smoke coming out of it. It was pretty annoying but 100% realistic, I liked it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, diegogelo said:

Man, this was actually a feature in F1 1997! Like you were winning the race by 33 seconds and out of nowhere your engine was ON FIRE and a big amount of smoke coming out of it. It was pretty annoying but 100% realistic, I liked it

Unfortunately gaming in today's world has to think more about casual gamers and so a lot of the big sim things are dumbed down or left out. I understand why but at times it is annoying.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×