Sign in to follow this  

Over-revving the engine should cause problems

Posted (edited)

If you're driving at 120mph and you shift into 1st gear, this happens:

I.e. not a lot. The tachometer gets a bit confused, but otherwise nothing bad happens.

The car should at the very least become very unstable as the wheels effectively lock up, and ideally there should be severe, possibly terminal engine damage.

At the very least it should just not shift, same as if you try to shift without the clutch.

Edited by afahoy
  • Agree 9

Yes, with an emphasis in damage. It should really damage the engine block and gearbox severely and in some cases even terminal damage.

• Agree 1

i wanna see pistons fly trough the bonnet !!!!  😂😂

no seriously it doesn't bother me as i'm using sequential.

tbh this is a little bit "snobby" request, i think there are lot more important things to do

Posted (edited)

Not really snobby as I can still abuse this with fast downshifting and this has happened to me. I'm using manual sequential as well.

This was one of the problems with DR1 as well, and used to abuse the braking capabilities of the car. It's a relevant bug if we want to ensure fairness in a competitive environment.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Not really snobby as I can still abuse this with fast downshifting and this has happened to me. I'm using manual sequential as well.

This was one of the problems with DR1 as well, and used to abuse the braking capabilities of the car. It's a relevant bug if we want to ensure fairness in a competitive environment.

ok , makes sense

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Not really snobby as I can still abuse this with fast downshifting and this has happened to me. I'm using manual sequential as well

Even more of a problem than in DR1, even, because you can shift sequentially much faster in DR2.

Beyond that though, there’s the simple act of downshifting one gear when you’re already at redline – even this should be enough to unsettle the car and damage the engine.

Edited by afahoy
  • Agree 1

Absolutely agree, in your example the engine should fly straight to Alpha Centauri, maybe even a little bit farther! 🌠

• Haha 3

100% agree with this, it has been an issue since DR1. What should most likely happen is that you completely shatter the clutch plate and disintegrate any synchromesh in there. Unless you're doing this like in the OP example of 120mph -> 1st, you probably aren't going to over-rev enough to actually terminal damage the engine. Definitely do some damage to it, but I think the car would be still hanging in there for a bit. You'd be stuck hard-shifting the rest of the stage though, absolutely no clutch so you better be damn good at rev matching.

At 120mph though you'd basically turn the gear shaft into molten metal while it spins well above 20k RPM. Full failure of all parts, but just please don't DNF the car until you let the drive train fail and lock up. I want to see the results of essentially pull and locking a handbrake at 120mph as your entire drive train fails and locks :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Agreed I watched a guy on u tube who was pretty terrible but used gear shifts with no breaking to go round corners very fast. It's fair enough in his own game but online competition I was suprised it was working with no negative consequences. Anyone who drives knows this is a bit insane in a "sim".

• Agree 1

Ha. I am always really careful about shifting and over-revving because I assumed there would be consequences if I didn't! Definitely something that I think should be implemented in the game (even if it is reserved for the hardcore damage mode only).

• Agree 2

Yup, I tried to damage the engine by over-revving yesterday, didn't work. Very weird.

Posted (edited)

I actually once did this IRL, by about 2.5kRPM, bent the torque plate a little.  But putting down ~400HP back through it magically resolved the grinding/rubbing in a Km or so..    It was not your usual setup though, I think with a straight cut and clutch dump it would be a different story either for the transmission or the engine.  (I don't think the clutch would give a banana to be honest)

Edited by bn880