Sign in to follow this  

Microtransactions

Posted (edited)

Money grabbing bstars! Why do companies do this (I know why but surely someone in the business has an ethical attitude and sound moral compass, no?!?). It's like the football clubs getting millions extra in TV money and still putting prices up for their fans! This world sucks when it comes to money. Never happy in making millions and have to get more, never satisfied!!

Oh I forgot to mention that they obviously don't care that this is a age 3+ rated game and yet still trying to eek money out of the youngsters???

Edited by martbloke
  • Agree 2

I don't have a problem with this, they need to make money to keep the series going. 

BUT

As long as the microtransactions are only for cosmetic items in online such as liveries, race suits etc, which I'm pretty sure they will be.

I won't be buying silly stuff like that but if people want to, then fair play, they can make some money off some purely cosmetic items. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jajb said:

I don't have a problem with this, they need to make money to keep the series going. 

BUT

As long as the microtransactions are only for cosmetic items in online such as liveries, race suits etc, which I'm pretty sure they will be.

I won't be buying silly stuff like that but if people want to, then fair play, they can make some money off some purely cosmetic items. 

They're not struggling for cash!

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, martbloke said:

Oh I forgot to mention that they obviously don't care that this is a age 3+ rated game and yet still trying to eek money out of the youngsters???

Micro-transactions in a Pegi 3 game. Bit like having a sex scene in a PG movie 😶

2 hours ago, martbloke said:

They're not struggling for cash!

Well they have been in the past and I can see why they would want to secure the company's future now instead of having another "no profit for half a decade" issue.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Well they have been in the past and I can see why they would want to secure the company's future now instead of having another "no profit for half a decade" issue.

Haven't they employed more people and moved into a lush new building?

1 hour ago, martbloke said:

Haven't they employed more people and moved into a lush new building?

Moving into a new office = money in your mind I guess. As I said they had their first profits in 5 years in around 2015-2016. Before that it was around £10 million net loss each year with 3 studios closed down in total and layoffs affecting even the big 2 UK studios at the time. The closed studios were Guildford (Operation Flashpoint/Bodycount), Malta (2014-2015) and Japan (2008-2015)

Of course I'm dramatizing a bit, but I can see why they wouldn't want to go into another half a decade with no profits type of thing.

22 minutes ago, UP100 said:

Moving into a new office = money in your mind I guess. As I said they had their first profits in 5 years in around 2015-2016. Before that it was around £10 million net loss each year with 3 studios closed down in total and layoffs affecting even the big 2 UK studios at the time. The closed studios were Guildford (Operation Flashpoint/Bodycount), Malta (2014-2015) and Japan (2008-2015)

Of course I'm dramatizing a bit, but I can see why they wouldn't want to go into another half a decade with no profits type of thing.

Fair enough in that regard then. Still does not change my mind on these crappy microtransaction business models however. It is a greed driven market unfortunately not caring about the consumer and more about profit margins. 

6 hours ago, martbloke said:

Money grabbing bstars! Why do companies do this (I know why but surely someone in the business has an ethical attitude and sound moral compass, no?!?). It's like the football clubs getting millions extra in TV money and still putting prices up for their fans! This world sucks when it comes to money. Never happy in making millions and have to get more, never satisfied!!

They dont force you to buy them, so please stop whining because we all know that you are gona play the game so wahts the point of whihing ? And as i said they will probably be multiplay only meaning only thing you can with real world money is cosmetics, and we all know that they dont affect how fast your car goes rgiht ?

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Auryel27 said:

They dont force you to buy them, so please stop whining because we all know that you are gona play the game so wahts the point of whihing ? And as i said they will probably be multiplay only meaning only thing you can with real world money is cosmetics, and we all know that they dont affect how fast your car goes rgiht ?

Nope you don't all know that. I'm still undecided whether I will buy or not like I didn't buy last year's.

They don't force you, you are correct however the temptation to buy is still going to be there for all - mainly the youngesters.

I just think it's a crud business model to start getting into. If this is successful what next? Get half a game for £50 and then buy the other half bit by bit on top? Games will soon be costing £100 at this rate. I mean it's an extra £15 already for the legends edition and all you get is 2 cars (and Senna/Prost avatars), 8 measley challenges and some liveries! Put that into perspective and you're paying 30% extra but are you getting 30% extra of the full game? Nope! Yet there are lots that have no doubt pre-ordered it. Proof of what is yet to come methinks and it's not looking pretty.

• Agree 1

I wonder how hard will it be to just "vote with your wallet" instead of going around provoking other people by complaining alone about something. It's likely that we won't create severe enough backlash for them to change it anyways.

• Agree 1

I have to say I am a bit stunned 

2 hours ago, martbloke said:

Nope you don't all know that. I'm still undecided whether I will buy or not like I didn't buy last year's.

They don't force you, you are correct however the temptation to buy is still going to be there for all - mainly the youngesters.

I just think it's a crud business model to start getting into. If this is successful what next? Get half a game for £50 and then buy the other half bit by bit on top? Games will soon be costing £100 at this rate. I mean it's an extra £15 already for the legends edition and all you get is 2 cars (and Senna/Prost avatars), 8 measley challenges and some liveries! Put that into perspective and you're paying 30% extra but are you getting 30% extra of the full game? Nope! Yet there are lots that have no doubt pre-ordered it. Proof of what is yet to come methinks and it's not looking pretty.

I just checked for the US versions for the PS4 - and the Anniversary Edition is $59.99, while the Legends Edition is $84.99. In this case the increase is over 40% for the Legends edition. Do you know what the challenges are? 

3 hours ago, martbloke said:

And again they dont force you to buy Legends edition

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, dwin20 said:

I have to say I am a bit stunned 

I just checked for the US versions for the PS4 - and the Anniversary Edition is $59.99, while the Legends Edition is $84.99. In this case the increase is over 40% for the Legends edition. Do you know what the challenges are? 

I imagine the challenges will reflect or try to incorporate some real life experiences between Prost & Senna but for the most part they are generic and disappointing which is a shame :classic_sad:

Edited by Chromatic

Its to compensate for the PC ( cheap skates gamer's ) version which is 21% cheaper, 

• Disagree 1

On 5/24/2019 at 4:45 PM, Chromatic said:

I imagine the challenges will reflect or try to incorporate some real life experiences between Prost & Senna but for the most part they are generic and disappointing which is a shame :classic_sad:

Just checked today on US Amazon for Legends and it is now $69.99...