F1 2019 - Microtransactions...

Going to keep this short and simple... If ANY and I literally mean ANY content in the game (And I mean cosmetics and cosmetics ONLY (Anything else is by far worse... not better)) is not earnable (Or reasonably earnable), but is able to be bought... I will whole heartedly scrap this game from my list of ONLY this game! 

I have quit playing all other games due to this exact issue, this is the only game that has never had it (Besides F1 2016 with their R&D cr@p)... I am more than willing to quit on this game to if this affects ANYTHING about the game!

I may sound like I am overreacting, but cosmetics coming into games has only ever become a serious issue... even if it started off fine.

• Agree 2

There's a "premium tier" which you can ONLY buy with money. Not unlockable in game. I was already 50/50 buying the game. Now, im 95/5 not buying.

At a similar preview event, Mather told Screenrant that there will be a form of microtransactions in F1 2019. This ties to the customization features, and in fact, some items will only be available through cash purchases. When Screenrant asked if the Premium Tier was a cash-only affair, Mather’s response was “for the very high level ones, yes.”

Source:
https://www.gtplanet.net/f1-2019-microtransactions/

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Codemasters has failed to be able to identify and remove multiple different major issues that were present in sequentually released games from F1 2016 up until F1 2018. This relates to singleplayer, as well as multiplayer but specially the latter of the two.

As far back as F1 2016 online gaming tests had concluded that using 'custom' helmets and racenumbers in online lobbies had a detrimental effect on connectivity between players and would regularly cause for teleportation issues, better known as "lag spikes". Through the years Codemasters has put a emphasis on this function and in the latest iteration of Formula 1, being F1 2018, the sole option is to drive with your customised profile brought over from your "Career mode" in Singleplayer in online gameplay. F1 2018 has proven to be one of the worst versions in regards to bugs and issues during online multiplayer sessions.
The point I stated here above has been adressed on more than one occasion and Codemasters has basically ignored this issue and failed to improve on the issue that has been presented to them.
Therefore, with customisable options being presented as a "microtransaction" in F1 2019's version of the game, I better hope this problem has been fixed but with history showing Codemasters has let us down on a lot of repeating issues appearing in annually released versions of the game, I remain very pessimistic to say the least. Not only has Codemasters declared that F1 2019 has been in development for 2 years, probably meaning that former existing issues will reappear. Now, if gameplay/physics will have remained much the same as in F1 2018 and F1 2017 this means that Codemasters has put 2 years in developing F1 2019 to be more profitable and not to be a better product, giving priority to incorporate a microtransaction system in their game over improving gameplay or customer experience.

In my eyes this would be a disgrace and I would point out to my fellow gamers to be very critical about forthcoming media presentations in the near future about this game since it's widely known that most promoters in the forms of streamers can't be critical since it will damage their revenue as well.
We can't simply allow Codemasters to get away with their failures and shortcomings on a repeated basis and be asked to pay for additional content that in the past has resulted in being detrimental to an online gaming experience when used.

Sincerely yours,

Edited by Tyranium
  • Agree 1

I despise even "cosmetic only" microstransactions. Back in the day, customizing your character was considered a big part of any game.  It was a core mechanic.  Now we get fed this line that MTXs are ok because it's only cosmetic.........pull the other one.  You removing something I should be able to do in the base game.  End of story.

Obvious this was going to happy. They asked about micro transactions in their end of season survey a couple of years ago. 

The game looks the same as 2018, the F2 is just three races. 

Codies have lost quite a few customers. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, Tyranium said:

As far back as F1 2016 online gaming tests had concluded that using 'custom' helmets and racenumbers in online lobbies had a detrimental effect on connectivity between players and would regularly cause for teleportation issues, better known as "lag spikes".

No source or anything.

22 minutes ago, tarrantino said:

Codies have lost quite a few customers. 

I believe it may be the opposite actually as F1 2019 is the first official videogame to come out after the Netflix documentary and a lot of new interest by non-fans. Very rarely do more than around 100-1000 people announce proudly how they won't buy the game because of microtransactions. So far we have had less than 10.

These numbers are insignificant if Codies want to keep in business.

I'm ok with with microtransactions for skins only. You don't have to do microtransactions to enjoy the basic racing. By earning extra money with it, Codies may hire extra programmers to further improve upcoming F1 titles. I don't think I'll go for those paid skins but still I benefit from it.

So a few guys may really stick to not buying the game because of skin microtransactions but that tiny loss will be compensated big time by microtransactions. Codies would be silly not to make this move. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chicane486 said:

By earning extra money with it, Codies may hire extra programmers to further improve upcoming F1 titles.

I'd say they rather would use that money on keeping the company going and try and pay some debts while they're at it.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, UP100 said:

I'd say they rather would use that money on keeping the company going and try and pay some debts while they're at it.

Didn't study on their financial position but 'some debts' isn't necessarily a bad thing.

More extreme and simplified example: Pay back 3 million debt or don't but use it to make 0.5 million extra profit every year.

2 hours ago, UP100 said:

No source or anything.

I believe it may be the opposite actually as F1 2019 is the first official videogame to come out after the Netflix documentary and a lot of new interest by non-fans. Very rarely do more than around 100-1000 people announce proudly how they won't buy the game because of microtransactions. So far we have had less than 10.

These numbers are insignificant if Codies want to keep in business.

True. Never thought of it like that

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chicane486 said:

Didn't study on their financial position but 'some debts' isn't necessarily a bad thing.

More extreme and simplified example: Pay back 3 million debt or don't but use it to make 0.5 million extra profit every year.

Well I can drop some stuff here I know about, so not much.

• 2010 | Operating loss of £21.3m
  • 2011 | Around the start of the "no profit for half a decade" thing (Net loss of around £10 million each year)
  • 2011 | Guildford studio, known for Codies' Operation Flashpoint games, shuts down ("to focus on racing titles")
  • 2012 | News: "F1 video game creator Codemasters in debt for equity deal"
  • 2014 | Malta Studio is born
  • 2015 | Malta Studio is shut down ("to focus on racing titles")
  • 2015 | Layoffs hit Codemasters the big UK studios, 50 jobs in review, 30 gone.
  • 2015 | Codemasters Japan is shut down
  • 2015 | Sales fell by 50%, from £52 million to £25.5 million
  • 2016 | Codemasters record their first profits after half a decade of losing money
  • September 2017 | Codemasters had currently a net debt of £113.5m
  • 2018 | News: (Codies) "... returns to profit..."
  • September 2018 | Net cash of £16.7m

• End of FY 2018 | (in thousands) Total Assets: 62,953, Total Liabilties: 163,225 and Total shareholders' decifit: 90,138
Edited by UP100
The font is fixed?

59 minutes ago, UP100 said:

• 2010 | Operating loss of £21.3m
  • 2011 | Around the start of the "no profit for half a decade" thing (Net loss of around £10 million each year)
  • 2011 | Guildford studio, known for Codies' Operation Flashpoint games, shuts down ("to focus on racing titles")
  • 2012 | News: "F1 video game creator Codemasters in debt for equity deal"
  • 2014 | Malta Studio is born
  • 2015 | Malta Studio is shut down ("to focus on racing titles")
  • 2015 | Layoffs hit Codemasters the big UK studios, 50 jobs in review, 30 gone.
  • 2015 | Codemasters Japan is shut down
  • 2015 | Sales fell by 50%, from £52 million to £25.5 million
  • 2016 | Codemasters record their first profits after half a decade of losing money
  • September 2017 | Codemasters had currently a net debt of £113.5m
  • 2018 | News: (Codies) "... returns to profit..."
  • September 2018 | Net cash of £16.7m

• End of FY 2018 | (in thousands) Total Assets: 62,953, Total Liabilties: 163,225 and Total shareholders' decifit: 90,138

It got my interest and i need to ask it, why did the codies enter that  no profit for a half a decade? The sales of the Grid and Grid 2 was not bad if i remember correct

To be fair, i don't care about Codemasters and their marketing. If they would lost the F1 License and would'nt never do a f1 game anymore, another comapany will. All i want is a f1 game that makes fun. 

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

It's been years ago since I had to go through financial company stuff for study, but I think 1:4 ratio assets/liabilities is still considered healthy. 

In addition this news:

01 apr 2019

Codemasters Group Holdings PLC (LON:CDM) shares surged in early trading Monday after the video game developer said its adjusted earnings for the latest full year ended 31 March would be “ahead of market expectations”.
The AIM 100 firm, which develops the official Formula 1 video game, said in an update that trading in the second half had been “strong” and as a result expected adjusted earnings (EBITDA) for the year of £18.5mln with revenues of £71mln and gross cash of £18.4mln.

Source: https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/217619/codemasters-surges-as-it-levels-up-full-year-earnings-217619.html

11 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

To be fair, i don't care about Codemasters and their marketing. If they would lost the F1 License and would'nt never do a f1 game anymore, another comapany will. All i want is a f1 game that makes fun. 

The license Codemasters holds does not seem to be exclusive as other companies like Hutch have already developed games that feature official F1 grid. Also as far as I can remember, Codemasters have to be informed some months/year before the license expires that they won't be renewing it, so that they can plan what they are going to do with the Birmingham studio that includes over 100 employees

37 minutes ago, Auryel27 said:

It got my interest and i need to ask it, why did the codies enter that  no profit for a half a decade? The sales of the Grid and Grid 2 was not bad if i remember correct

(This is a complete guess) I'd guess it had something to do with the amount of studios they had compared to how many good games they released as Birmingham (Swordfish Studios) had just been acquired by Codemasters at the end of 2009 and studios like Guildford didn't produce games that sold the amount Codemasters would've wanted them to.

Not to mention Codemasters Japan that's job was only to promote stuff and the Kuala Lumpur studio that was helping with the other studios' projects. I have no clue when Codemasters India, the QA studio, was founded though.

54 minutes ago, FTBuzzard said:

It is always a risk. In general, the F1 series is really good, although it requires constant development, more attention to what fans say. Careful but nevertheless new steps forward. For now, almost the same game is released every year and even the same mistakes are repeated.

Another developer, another series of F1-related games would be good. Very good. Having a choice is always good. But the F1 series from Codemasters does not deserve to be buried.

20 hours ago, UP100 said:

The license Codemasters holds does not seem to be exclusive as other companies like Hutch have already developed games that feature official F1 grid. Also as far as I can remember, Codemasters have to be informed some months/year before the license expires that they won't be renewing it, so that they can plan what they are going to do with the Birmingham studio that includes over 100 employees

I never said it's exclusive to CM. all I'm saying is I don't care about codemasters or their marketing. If EA or Sony would make the F1 games once again, or a new company, then I wouldn't care about the developers.

1 hour ago, FTBuzzard said:

I never said it's exclusive to CM. all I'm saying is I don't care about codemasters or their marketing. If EA or Sony would make the F1 games once again, or a new company, then I wouldn't care about the developers.

Sorry, but what is it with people wanting EA to do an F1 game? The developer of those games was ISI who went and developed the rFactor series of games.

• Agree 1

I'm trying to understand why F1 2019 Legends edition on Xbox One is $102CAD and on Steam $79CAD ? 

37 minutes ago, transfix said:

I'm trying to understand why F1 2019 Legends edition on Xbox One is $102CAD and on Steam $79CAD ? 

The console versions are more expensive in many countries. The DVD ROM version is usually the cheapest, going with 5-15e cheaper than the Steam version. I don't know why though. Just adding some info about the greatness of DVD ROM copies.

• Agree 1

On 5/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, UP100 said:

Sorry, but what is it with people wanting EA to do an F1 game? The developer of those games was ISI who went and developed the rFactor series of games.

I don't say i want EA, i just say i wouldn't care whoever makes the F1 games. 

I only just found this out myself. Label me as one of the 'disgusted' ol timer gamers who only buy complete games then grind them to death to unlock every single unlockable. I believe that respect is earned not purchased and am not so humble as to not share a YouTube video with a game item such as say rainbow shooting unicorn proving my dedication to a game, and therefore my experience and ability to pass on advice. 

The best 'top tier' items should always be earned ONLY not paid for if we are to stop the slide to the bottom of the barrel for humanity constantly desperate for likes for the least amount of work. 

I know businesses are not responsible for the fate of mankind but for a game that millions of kids will play there has to be the realization that rewarding cash input over hard work is not to be held in high esteem. 

I have no doubt today that with parents paying hundreds of thousands to get their kids in schools they don't belong in at the expense of their hard slogging less fortunate peers, that the same kids will have every 'cool' upgrade gifted to them the moment they go online. Parents struggling to pay bills will have to say no or give in to this greedy gaming micro transaction plagues. 

I'm over the top and melodramatic right? Maybe. It's only this one customer the game will lose and noone will miss me to be fair lol. I won't buy a game for 99c if there's a 1c MT in it. 

At least 2018 can now be celebrated as the last 'clean' and pure F1 game from Codies. Time to move on. If I am wrong about the MTs please forgive me and ignore my hysterical comments. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

There is not a whole lot for sale in the sport of F1 in reality, so why forzarize this game to begin with micro transactions?! The removal of team cars from multiplayer was a great way in excising content from the game to meet an earlier delivery date, but it also gave Codemasters the lattitude to be creative with car liveries and racing outfit satorial flair, given.  But to charge someone 10% of what the game costs for such a combination is to me a bit excessive.  Why can't we just use hard earned competition points for the purchase of said items?!!!

• Agree 2