Colin McRae DiRT 1 - how to fix the game if it crashes when starting a race

This one's all over the net, just making sure it's in here too! If you have a modern i7 quad core, it has 4 real cores and 4 virtual hyperthread ones. This makes DiRT 1 think there's 8 cores so it tries to use different code to make the game work, however it crashes! So you just need to set it to only use 4 cores instead, which only involves changing one number in an xml file, luckily! Do this as follows:

1. Open the folder where you installed DiRT, then open the "system" folder
2. Edit hardware_settings_restrictions.xml in Notepad
3. Search for the line containing workerMap8Core.xml and change the 8 to 4, i.e. set it to workerMap4Core.xml
4. You may not be able to save the file, if so, right-click it and turn off Read Only

Thanks a lot! Altho I have an 8 core, I had to do this. Go figure.. :) 

A tip: 
When you change car settings, save them before doing a Shakedown. 
Before you race, load your save. ;)

Cheers :smile: )

Beim der i7 6700 k Cpu und dem z170 Mainboard von Asus kann ich im Bios die CPU Einstellung verändern und somit Hyperthreading deaktivieren.Einstellung speichern und Neustart --Schon läufts !

Hello, I am reinstalling Dirt 1 on my new computer and I can get to the point where the PC is trying to load up a race and I get a CTD. I have set the workerMap8Core to the 4 as described but my system is not letting me past a race load w/o a crash.

I have an i9-9900K CPU with 16 cores; Win 10 Pro; RTX2080 Ti; and Danza DDR4.  I have attached my DxDiag file.

I must add that if I have to deactivate hypertheading, I may not do this game anymore...

Thank you!

Val

DxDiag12-15-2019.txt

Edited by ValH

got it working now.   🙂 Thanks for the help.

I was wondering if TrackIR works for this game?  I havent run it since TrackIR came out.

Again, thanks!

Val

Hi, probably I'm just being dumb, but when I open where I installed DiRT, the "system" folder doesn't exist.

Please advise.

Cheers, amigaman01

Edited by amigaman01
Typo