GRID development team insight

Happy Tuesday team! 

Whilst we're hard at work with the new GRID, I wanted to point you in the direction of some other cool content that went live towards the end of last week. 

Game Director Chris Smith sat down with IGN a short while ago to discuss all things GRID: the ethos, the features, the style, the influences, the lot. You can check out a written piece here:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/23/how-codemasters-new-grid-is-going-back-to-its-roots 

And a video piece with Chris here:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/24/the-5-key-features-that-make-grid-unique

As well as some broader takes on the concept of the new GRID, there's also plenty of interesting snippets in there regarding in-game features and modes. Take a look, then tell us what you think!

As I said, we're all full steam ahead with GRID work, but I'm responding to any queries on here that we have a concrete answer to. Two of the big questions we've got answers to at this point are: 

- YES, you can play offline. An internet connection is not required for single-player modes

- The new GRID is a reboot of the franchise. We're taking plenty of inspiration, features and locations which make the GRID series so special, but it's not a remaster. This is a brand new game to sink your teeth into 😉 

• Thanks 1

Hey Chris! Thanks for giving us another update 🙂 

My questions are mostly these:

• Can you disable the OSD completely? Some newer F1 games have not allowed this even though it's possible to use the F1 games' MFD without looking at it.
  • I believe that in GRID: Autosport, even if you disabled the OSD, you could still toggle on the virtual rear view mirror (as the mirrors option was located in the graphics settings). Is this still the case for GRID19? I don't want OSD, but I do want the virtual rearview mirror as using cockpit cam without it in some cars is a bit of a pain 😛 

Posted (edited)

Is the insight to sell a part game with minimal content then try and sell the rest as dlc? If so good job

Edited by AaronDix
  • Disagree 3

9 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Happy Tuesday team! 

Whilst we're hard at work with the new GRID, I wanted to point you in the direction of some other cool content that went live towards the end of last week. 

Game Director Chris Smith sat down with IGN a short while ago to discuss all things GRID: the ethos, the features, the style, the influences, the lot. You can check out a written piece here:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/23/how-codemasters-new-grid-is-going-back-to-its-roots 

And a video piece with Chris here:

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/05/24/the-5-key-features-that-make-grid-unique

As well as some broader takes on the concept of the new GRID, there's also plenty of interesting snippets in there regarding in-game features and modes. Take a look, then tell us what you think!

As I said, we're all full steam ahead with GRID work, but I'm responding to any queries on here that we have a concrete answer to. Two of the big questions we've got answers to at this point are: 

- YES, you can play offline. An internet connection is not required for single-player modes

- The new GRID is a reboot of the franchise. We're taking plenty of inspiration, features and locations which make the GRID series so special, but it's not a remaster. This is a brand new game to sink your teeth into 😉 

Will you show new gameplay video within week?

19 hours ago, UP100 said:

Hey Chris! Thanks for giving us another update 🙂 

My questions are mostly these:

• Can you disable the OSD completely? Some newer F1 games have not allowed this even though it's possible to use the F1 games' MFD without looking at it.
  • I believe that in GRID: Autosport, even if you disabled the OSD, you could still toggle on the virtual rear view mirror (as the mirrors option was located in the graphics settings). Is this still the case for GRID19? I don't want OSD, but I do want the virtual rearview mirror as using cockpit cam without it in some cars is a bit of a pain 😛 

No problem! On the OSD queries: I just spoke to the team and as of right now, you can totally switch off the OSD if you wish. They've also given me a list of OSD modules you can *currently* enable and disable to your heart's content. The modules are: 

Mini-Map, Prompts, Online Driver Tags, Dial, Timing, Progress, Notifications, Messages, Rear View Mirror, Proximity

Again, it's not final, but the list of OSD areas you can tweak will be very close to this, if not spot on, come launch day. Hope this helps 🙂 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

No problem! On the OSD queries: I just spoke to the team and as of right now, you can totally switch off the OSD if you wish. They've also given me a list of OSD modules you can *currently* enable and disable to your heart's content. The modules are: 

Mini-Map, Prompts, Online Driver Tags, Dial, Timing, Progress, Notifications, Messages, Rear View Mirror, Proximity

Again, it's not final, but the list of OSD areas you can tweak will be very close to this, if not spot on, come launch day. Hope this helps 🙂 

And on the audio side?

Can you disable the guy (probably race engineer) who is talking nonsense within the race all the time?

The only reason why I didn't pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition as for now, just saying.

Things like notifications of all sorts (audio and visual) are really annoying these days, though I understand to have it in the game for casuals.

Thanks in advance for being so communicative 🙂

Hi Chris. Can you find out if the game will support VR?

17 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

though I understand to have it in the game for casuals. 

That is insulting.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, UP100 said:

That is insulting.

Err...what!?

To casuals?

Casuals need things like that, because their usually not that familiar with games or racing-games specifically.

They need more information than me, because they don't have the experience I have, to know how things work.

I just don't need it.

Nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Err...what!?

To casuals?

Casuals need things like that, because their usually not that familiar with games or racing-games specifically.

They need more information than me, because they don't have the experience I have, to know how things work.

I just don't need it.

Nothing wrong with that.

You were talking about "notifications", something that isn't clear what it is. You also talked about race engineers. Just because you don't see something as useful, doesn't mean only "casuals" use it. Should I go around and say "I get it. The game has to have an OSD for casuals" just because I don't use it?

Just my opinion though, but it's a bit provoking as you typed in the way you did and it's not clear what you said to be made for casuals.

The race engineer is a staple of the series, but I'm sure you'll be able to turn off voices entirely in the settings.

22 hours ago, UP100 said:

You were talking about "notifications", something that isn't clear what it is. You also talked about race engineers. Just because you don't see something as useful, doesn't mean only "casuals" use it. Should I go around and say "I get it. The game has to have an OSD for casuals" just because I don't use it?

Just my opinion though, but it's a bit provoking as you typed in the way you did and it's not clear what you said to be made for casuals.

Soooo, you wanna start a discussion about my wording, ok.

First of all: Yes, would have been clearer, if I stated, that it annoys me personally, not everyone in general.

Just because I said "to have it in for casuals" doesn't mean only those use it.

Casuals need it. Everyone else not, but maybe want it anyways.

I don't want it, because I started playing racing games in the mid 90's and I am used to not getting talked to all the time within a race.

Kimi Räikkönen-Style, you know?

And before you come up with DiRT Rally 2.0 Co-Driver argument: Thats obviously something different.

21 hours ago, Oscar97 said:

The race engineer is a staple of the series, but I'm sure you'll be able to turn off voices entirely in the settings.

I hope so, just want to make sure you can.

Forza Horizon 3 & 4 really annoyed me on that part (I know, different developer) and you can't disable it in these games.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, UnderclassGDfan said:

And on the audio side?

Can you disable the guy (probably race engineer) who is talking nonsense within the race all the time?

The only reason why I didn't pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition as for now, just saying.

Things like notifications of all sorts (audio and visual) are really annoying these days, though I understand to have it in the game for casuals.

Thanks in advance for being so communicative 🙂

Just checked - if you want, the race engineer audio can be dropped to zero, so it can be switched off. Personally I'd suggest not doing that as it's awesome 😉 The race engineer offers some very useful data on the fly, as well as other comments that add to the drama of your race, but if it's not your bag, you can switch it off 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisGrovesMCM said:

Just checked - if you want, the race engineer audio can be dropped to zero, so it can be switched off. Personally I'd suggest not doing that as it's awesome 😉 The race engineer offers some very useful data on the fly, as well as other comments that add to the drama of your race, but if it's not your bag, you can switch it off 🙂 

Ok, now you have one more Ultimate Edition-Buyer on launch.

I will definitely try it for a while, but my experience says I will get annoyed at some point, because I usually play my racing games for many months in a row. (Played DiRT Rally 2.0 since Deluxe Edition launch every single day so far.)

Now I have to find out, if there is any Pre-Order-Items like a Steelbook or something on any retailer in my country...

Posted (edited)

Three Questions Inbound.

Will we be able to manage our team, purchase vehicles, and drive for other teams just like in the original Grid? This made the original very unique. Next, is there going to be more than 12 tracks and drifting at launch? The fact sheet that Ak1054 (Check the Finally, Grid 2019 thread for the fact sheet) provided didn't look so good with tracks and game modes. Finally, will Ravenwest return as a team to race with / against? They were a force to be reckoned with whenever they appeared.

Thanks for the feedback. Will understand if any of these questions isn't a response i wanted (Or no response at all).

Edited by CordedQuill
Some info I forgot.
  • Agree 1

You can manage your own team, as you can choose your teammate. As for buying cars, we don't know but if you have your own team, that would make sense.

And no, there's no drifting at launch, the fact sheet is a fact sheet, it's not going to change.

• Disagree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oscar97 said:

You can manage your own team, as you can choose your teammate. As for buying cars, we don't know but if you have your own team, that would make sense.

And no, there's no drifting at launch, the fact sheet is a fact sheet, it's not going to change.

It might not be accurate over time. The fact sheet is PRELIMINARY, therefore its accuracy will change over time. We still have 3 Months and 4 Days until launch from the time of this response, that is plenty of time to wait before it goes gold and we get the info ourselves.

Edited by CordedQuill
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 12:29 PM, CordedQuill said:

It might not be accurate over time. The fact sheet is PRELIMINARY, therefore its accuracy will change over time. We still have 3 Months and 4 Days until launch from the time of this response, that is plenty of time to wait before it goes gold and we get the info ourselves.

May I ask how do you know this fact sheet is preliminary? I highly doubt that list isn't final, considering it provides number of cars and locations, plus other info, for the gaming media to write articles. Unless Codemasters wants all media outlets to understate their game, they better have a fact sheet that reflects what they intend to sell.

Edited by warpengage

3 hours ago, warpengage said:

May I ask how do you know this fact sheet is preliminary? I highly doubt that list isn't final, considering it provides number of cars and locations, plus other info, for the gaming media to write articles. Unless Codemasters wants all media outlets to understate their game, they better have a fact sheet that reflects what they intend to sell.

Any info posted BEFORE a games launch may not reflect how it is when it launches. Fact Sheets are not exempt from this rule. The lack of drifting and demolition derby has not yet been confirmed by Codemasters just yet, so therefore it could in fact still be in the game and we don't know it. Therefore, we all have to understand that the game may come out with drifting and prove us wrong, and we still need to wait 3 months and 2 days (From the time of this response) to confirm that the fact sheet is right or wrong.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CordedQuill said:

Any info posted BEFORE a games launch may not reflect how it is when it launches. 

Yes but, if something is going to change, it will be posted. We should just work with the info we have, currently, and expect nothing more until further notice.

12 minutes ago, CordedQuill said:

The lack of drifting and demolition derby has not yet been confirmed by Codemasters just yet, so therefore it could in fact still be in the game and we don't know it. Therefore, we all have to understand that the game may come out with drifting and prove us wrong, and we still need to wait 3 months and 2 days (From the time of this response) to confirm that the fact sheet is right or wrong.

I think you're not judging the development phase the game is currently at, properly. At just over 3 months from release, all major game modes, features and licenses must already be locked in. With one month for proper Q&A and for the game to go gold, only 2 months remain to prepare any more assets. And that isn't enough time for a new car or new track. If you have other modes and other tracks , for the base game, announce them. There would be no need to hold that info back from your Fact Sheet, at this point in time, since you have to have them secured. Unless there is a serious change, I would consider that fact list final. 

• Disagree 1

Posted (edited)

Alright, alright, but keep in mind i will still pick up a copy of the game and play it. Your opinion is still your opinion, but I think drifting will be a DLC or something. Then again, I will still enjoy this game and possibly pick up the Ultimate Edition. Anyways, I think I will make a team named Ravenwest if they don't exist in the game itself.

Edited by CordedQuill
Forgot some info, spelling mistakes.
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CordedQuill said:

Alright, alright, but keep in mind i will still pick up a copy of the game and play it. Your opinion is still your opinion, but I think drifting will be a DLC or something. Then again, I will still enjoy this game and possibly pick up the Ultimate Edition. Anyways, I think I will make a team named Ravenwest if they don't exist in the game itself.

I'm also going to pick it up, unless Codemasters really botch it.

DLC is another story, since that will release later and is still not defined, giving them more time to work on things. I don't think there will be new modes as DLC, but I'm hoping for one new track each season.

Team Ravenwest would be most welcome. I have a feeling livery choices will be quite colorful. We'll have a base pattern that can, then, change the colors of. I think that because of the released screenshots. Loads of 'Koni' Porsches with the same design but different colors.

Edited by warpengage
  • Agree 1

On 6/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, warpengage said:

I'm also going to pick it up, unless Codemasters really botch it.

DLC is another story, since that will release later and is still not defined, giving them more time to work on things. I don't think there will be new modes as DLC, but I'm hoping for one new track each season.

Team Ravenwest would be most welcome. I have a feeling livery choices will be quite colorful. We'll have a base pattern that can, then, change the colors of. I think that because of the released screenshots. Loads of 'Koni' Porsches with the same design but different colors.

Don't think you understand how this works. So basically codemasters put everything in the game the day of launch. All 3 seasons, everything. You pay £50 And get minimum content, they then charge you another £30 for what's already in YOUR game. It's NOT developed after launch. I call it greed. So basically you will pay full price for a cut down game then half as much again for everything. On top of that they will use everything from all the other grid games and not model any new locations. Well maybe 1 or 2. Codemasters just remastering what they already have. If you have grid with all 3 seasons you will probably have the same content as grid autosport had. Sorry to say the truth but that's how codemasters work these days.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, madcowie said:

Don't think you understand how this works. So basically codemasters put everything in the game the day of launch. All 3 seasons, everything. You pay £50 And get minimum content, they then charge you another £30 for what's already in YOUR game. It's NOT developed after launch. I call it greed. So basically you will pay full price for a cut down game then half as much again for everything. On top of that they will use everything from all the other grid games and not model any new locations. Well maybe 1 or 2. Codemasters just remastering what they already have. If you have grid with all 3 seasons you will probably have the same content as grid autosport had. Sorry to say the truth but that's how codemasters work these days.

I say not true. At least in DR 2.0 this didn't happen. DLC was not in the base game and was only introduced after release. That's why there are 4.5 GB patches for a few minor corrections, it's the DLC arriving in preparation for release the following week. That content was not available at launch.

Also Remaster =/= copy-paste. By what you're saying, any track that has appeared before is just copied, with nothing done to it, just because it was there before. That's a ridiculous view on what re-using assets is like. Often, only the base data can be used. Textures, road surface detail, environmental detail, all that has to be reworked. It's not hard to see locations are being rebuilt. Just look at Brands Hatch, which was in GRID Autosport and now looks much more like its real counterpart, not being 7 (or 8 )-car wide. It was clearly remodeled.

Finally, no new locations? Havana? Zhejiang Circuit? Sydney Motorsports Park? Silverstone? Shanghai?

Edited by warpengage
  • Agree 2