Tired of grinding

I am becoming very, very tired of endless carrier championship grinding.
I bet you know the drill :

• get a new car into the garage
  • drive it about 200+ km to unlock all engine tweaks so that it can compete in community events (in other words, drive it for about 2+ hrs in two or three locations on master difficulty)
  • finish/retire championship
  • repeat

It was quite fun before I reached masters, filled up all my staff positions with fully qualified engineers, and upgraded something over fifteen cars and got all available beauties into my garage.

But now after more than 300 hrs when credits are not a problem, and when my life is knocking on the door, I would love to have 'quick spin' - 'custom carrier championship.' You know, just set a number of events/stages per event then let it be completely random (although compositions of events similar to weekly events 6 - 9 stages with longer gaps in-between services would also be excellent).

Also, having one extra bar or two of 'research perk' for every 'non-chief' engineer would make an awesome difference. Don't tell me, that maxed guys who've been around for such a long time can't upgrade engine faster than they do now.

• Agree 3

I actually never even thought to do career championships as a grind specifically to upgrade cars.  I've just done them to unlock the next level but don't keep re-doing them.  I just do all my upgrading by driving everything in the community events.  Even cars I never yet drove before.  Those are generally the most fun, so that's what I do.  Though it takes longer to upgrade something, and you have to hope for specific car classes and relevant event lengths to randomly become available.

But I would also like a custom career championship like DR1 had.  The full length career championship is a bit exhausting, and I stopped even trying to start up new career championships because my last go was reset for no reason, not going to put up with anymore career resets as I just won't do career championships anymore, so it can't happen again 🙂

• Agree 7

I am also only doing community events. Never touched the normal career. I like to do it like that. Because of the fixed car classes I often have to try something new which keeps the game engaging. And I actually like to use cars which are not fully upgraded yet.

From my point of view, community events could be the main career path. There is so much more potential with the changing events. They could introduce the sponsor challenges from D4 for extra bucks. GO further and have prizes for taking part in specific community events like special liveries. There is a very engaging part hidden in the community events comparable to forzathon stuff in Forza Horizon.

• Agree 4

i used to enjoy the ballance of going quick enough to win vs ruining the car and losing all me pole dancer money on headlights and bonnets, but after 4 career wipes iv given up on that side of things for a while now, do the odd daily but impossible to go fast as most of me cars havnt been chipped up.

online events need a rethink really

MM

@lilfurbal Yep, I adapted the same strategy, and it's, of course, more fun, yet being slightly competitive and bit perfectionist I am missing way to upgrade cars in reasonable times and DR1 custom championship too.

Online events should be about challenging yourself the top times are for people who practiceand rehearse the tracks and you won't get near them driving "properly". You don't have to win online events to have fun. And there are the ai events for winning. I love the game I think it's well balanced but it could do with some of krusis suggestions with prizes for participation etc. Good ideas.

I also never understand grind. My friends always on about grinding games. It's like he doesn't like doing it but wants the gear. I say why are you doing it? Don't do something which isn't fun. There is never a need to be grinding imo. If you are grinding you are doing it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dominic0 said:

Online events should be about challenging yourself the top times are for people who practiceand rehearse the tracks and you won't get near them driving "properly".

You'd be surprised. All you need to hold top #10 in a daily is a car class you really like at a location you know generally well enough. Definitely don't need to memorize the stage or practice and rehearse it, though it can help for sure if you know the couple "bad" calls every stage has. Basically if you can post a top #50 run in time trial during your first two or three attempts on a stage, you are fully capable of getting top #10 or even winning a daily at that location. 

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

You'd be surprised. All you need to hold top #10 in a daily is a car class you really like at a location you know generally well enough. Definitely don't need to memorize the stage or practice and rehearse it, though it can help for sure if you know the couple "bad" calls every stage has. Basically if you can post a top #50 run in time trial during your first two or three attempts on a stage, you are fully capable of getting top #10 or even winning a daily at that location. 

lol by definition most of us are not that fast: there are thousands of players in each community event. I have gotten Tier 1 exactly once outside Rallycross (one of the current R2 Monthlies), and probably 75-85% of my time playing the game has been in those.

I'm getting better, but still getting Tier 2 (you just need to be in the top 35% of players) only happens like 50% of the time for me.

33 minutes ago, ianism said:

lol by definition most of us are not that fast: there are thousands of players in each community event. I have gotten Tier 1 exactly once outside Rallycross (one of the current R2 Monthlies), and probably 75-85% of my time playing the game has been in those.

I'm getting better, but still getting Tier 2 (you just need to be in the top 35% of players) only happens like 50% of the time for me.

Fair enough, I just assume that most people willing to wander into the forums for a game they play tend to be in the mid-upper tiers more often than not. And hitting top #50 is really not that hard if you focus rally because the times really start to stretch themselves out after you get out of top #10. Again, not everyone will pull it off, but getting top #10 in a daily is a lot easier than most people think and the real key is - it doesn't require memorizing or practicing stages.

• Haha 2

I must be the only person who almost exclusively only plays time trials with these games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andmcq said:

I must be the only person who almost exclusively only plays time trials with these games. 

Nope, there are a lot of us. I got bored of My Team and only do the dailies if there seems to be a fun one. Outside of that it is MP or Time Trial chasing against people I know.

10 hours ago, andmcq said:

I have done the Championships and still do the odd daily, but I am still spending much more time in Freeplay and Time Trial than the Career. 

I find the championship very addictive - I'm at Elite, but really struggling to get promoted in R5s (3 attempts, 2x 4th place finishes!), but enjoying the battle in most events (apart from Monte the level feels a bit too low). I don't really care about levelling up or owning cars or the community events, so this is working fine for me. The credits situation is fairly well balanced too, especially with hardcore damage mode set to make it even harder for me. I want to buy a new RGT but not sure what to.

To me, the only disappointment with this area thus far is the AI times of some cars and the fact I already 'own' the DLC cars rather than having to 'earn' them in my garage.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, ZbP said:

I am becoming very, very tired of endless carrier championship grinding.
I bet you know the drill :

• get a new car into the garage
  • drive it about 200+ km to unlock all engine tweaks so that it can compete in community events (in other words, drive it for about 2+ hrs in two or three locations on master difficulty)
  • finish/retire championship
  • repeat

It was quite fun before I reached masters, filled up all my staff positions with fully qualified engineers, and upgraded something over fifteen cars and got all available beauties into my garage.

But now after more than 300 hrs when credits are not a problem, and when my life is knocking on the door, I would love to have 'quick spin' - 'custom carrier championship.' You know, just set a number of events/stages per event then let it be completely random (although compositions of events similar to weekly events 6 - 9 stages with longer gaps in-between services would also be excellent).

Also, having one extra bar or two of 'research perk' for every 'non-chief' engineer would make an awesome difference. Don't tell me, that maxed guys who've been around for such a long time can't upgrade engine faster than they do now.

Play time trials, Trying to beat your own time and then edging up the leaderboard is far more fun than the monotonous career mode.  

6 hours ago, FLAW3D said:

Play time trials, Trying to beat your own time and then edging up the leaderboard is far more fun than the monotonous career mode.  

That's very much a personal opinion because I find Time Trials completely pointless and totally apart from what the game should be about.

Not saying you shouldn't be able to enjoy time trials if that's what you like doing but it's not for everyone.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, SquadBruce said:

That's very much a personal opinion because I find Time Trials completely pointless and totally apart from what the game should be about.

Not saying you shouldn't be able to enjoy time trials if that's what you like doing but it's not for everyone.

While I can understand the reasoning, the problem is the limited number of stages in this game. You will learn most of them really quick, or at least the worst offending corners of each. I would say TT gets away from the spirit of rally if you are literally just spamming restart 50x before finishing a single run. But if you are already able to one-and-done a stage while placing top #50 in the world on the first pass, I believe you've already "completed" what the game should be about - you can drop in and race balls out while setting a blistering pace first pass.

What else is there to prove or accomplish then? You've already beaten My Team and proven you can run endurance championships if need be, you probably already do the dailies but those get old when you have no need for the money. At this point you can only hone your skills from really good to an insane level of precision. So all you have left is MP rallies if you can get a full lobby, or Time Trials to face off against the actual fastest drivers in the world. 

Posted (edited)

I also find the «MyTeam» quite boring at this point. Up until now I have mainly done the challenges (oncemonthly, weekly and daily) and have most rally cars in the game by now and a fully equipped staff. I have only tried the Career Rally and Career Rallycross so I’m still at respectively Open and Clubman due to the fact that:

1) The AI is very unbalanced and waaayyy to difficult on the easier levels.

2) As a D+ owner, I expect downloadable content to be present in those events. Codemasters have to include Monte Carlo, Sweden, Germany and Wales (when it is released) in Career Rally.

I wish we could earn credits in Freeplay custom championships...

Edited by Kjell007

The main career is kind of dull but I keep plugging away trying to get past Pro level.  The real fun is the Monthlies watching yourself improve against other human opponents.  Plus there’s more variety with event lengths and often the service periods are spaced different, not just every two stages as in the mainline career like we have now.  Wish they could mix that up a bit.

I think the Freeplay mode would be a place I’ll spend time someday, but the low credit payouts (or ‘no’ I can’t remember) are really a drag.  Still, it’s fun to be the creator of your own Championships.  

The historic championships are really only there for the trophies.  I’ve driven most everything in the online events so there’s no incentive to delve into it.  

Also wish there was more team and sponsor management like we had in DiRT 4.  Once you have everyone maxed there’s nothing else to do.  I’ve got all of the engineers near max, and with 11 million credits I could probably own and upgrade all the remaining cars and staff if I wanted.

• Agree 2

OP is right, there should be a way to fast unlock upgrades if you have the credits. In fact, the whole credit system for repairs is a bit of a drag - it's not like actual drivers have to worry about their team budget. Either flesh out the team management options to make this more meaningful, or remove credits from the areas where it just becomes another button click with no actual meaning.

WRT "My Team" it seems most people still want a fully customisable championship/career mode. I hope more options are coming in future patches. Per this poll, now that FFB and tyre wear have been "addressed" (still WIP) the two most popular options for future patches (beyond 1.4) remaining were "Increased time-of-day options (several more per 24hrs)." and "Fully customisable events in Career mode (DR1 Custom Championship)". That's not to say they shouldn't first fix the AI times and lighting issues, which annoy even more people.

10 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

2) As a D+ owner, I expect downloadable content to be present in those events. Codemasters have to include Monte Carlo, Sweden, Germany and Wales (when it is released) in Career Rally.

They are actually.

11 hours ago, Kjell007 said:

I also find the «MyTeam» quite boring at this point. Up until now I have mainly done the challenges (oncemonthly, weekly and daily) and have most rally cars in the game by now and a fully equipped staff. I have only tried the Career Rally and Career Rallycross so I’m still at respectively Open and Clubman due to the fact that:

1) The AI is very unbalanced and waaayyy to difficult on the easier levels.

I wish we could earn credits in Freeplay custom championships...

1) The issue with AI to me is a class based one - the R2 class, for example, is waaay more difficult than the R5 one. I disagree that they're too difficult, I found the first couple of seasons were the only ones with a 'grindy' nature, because I was winning events despite making loads of mistakes. Fortunately, now I can't make any without them being costly.

2) They are in career mode. The seasons are generated at random each time you finish one and it picks 6 at random. I like this because it keeps you on your toes and keeps each championship unique.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Users need to experience all difficulties before claiming that the AI is fine and doesn’t need adjusting. 

I thought the AI (rally) was “ok”, but that was before i got to Masters.

Now i’m at Masters i can see that it needs adjusting. I’m glad it’s harder than dr1 but it is impossibly difficult to the point where it needs fixing. 

Edited by Pieman99

16 minutes ago, Pieman99 said:

Users need to experience all difficulties before claiming that the AI is fine and doesn’t need adjusting. 

I thought the AI (rally) was “ok”, but that was before i got to Masters.

Now i’m at Masters i can see that it needs adjusting. I’m glad it’s harder than dr1 but it is impossibly difficult to the point where it needs fixing. 

What about those who have made it there and still believe the AI is at the right spot? Personally I loved the insanely difficult AI when I was still doing My Team, it finally made stages matter and you couldn't just mindlessly breeze through Masters like in DR1. Now you have to be on point and bring your A game - you have to be clean if you want any chance of finishing top 3. Which is absolutely awesome

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

What about those who have made it there and still believe the AI is at the right spot? Personally I loved the insanely difficult AI when I was still doing My Team, it finally made stages matter and you couldn't just mindlessly breeze through Masters like in DR1. Now you have to be on point and bring your A game - you have to be clean if you want any chance of finishing top 3. Which is absolutely awesome

that's the thing. most people just aren't that good. I'll probably never get past Pro. Gamers (these days?) are too used to "beating" a game - in DR2 would mean coming first in every championship all the way through Masters. 

But DR2 is built differently. the Career mode is basically the place to use and upgrade your team, but it's not meant to be "beaten" like a regular game. As the devs said during development, if you make it to Masters and win, it's going to be a challenge to stay at the top. It's meant to be never-ending. The only parts of the game that I would say are "completable" (to invent a word) are the Historic Championships and the World Rallycross Championship. you even get special rewards for beating them.

That said, a limited difficulty slider on Career mode would be nice - something that increased or decreased the difficulty of the current level by 5-10 points, for example. It'll never happen though.

What is necessary (and what people have been pointing out since release) is an adjustment to the relative difficulty level of different classes of cars. H2 FWD and R2 AI cars are significantly faster than any other classes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, ianism said:

What is necessary (and what people have been pointing out since release) is an adjustment to the relative difficulty level of different classes of cars. H2 FWD and R2 AI cars are significantly faster than any other classes.

Oh I will fully agree with this. And I think the other big thing that would help would be to make the jumps in difficulty between each tier less severe. Maybe it was just me, but it felt like the AI was cutting significant chunks of time off of their average sprint times each championship. Either make those jumps less dramatic, or maybe make the total championship time spread larger? The perfect world would be something like the top 2 drivers of a championship are at the lowest difficulty % for the following championship and the bottom 5 or so drivers are at the higher difficulty % for the previous championship tier.

This way in Clubman the absolute top drivers are actually racing at a "slow" Pro pace and if you can beat them you are automatically somewhat competitive in the next tier. This way you don't see the entire field of drivers magically getting 10 seconds faster each tier, we still have a nice gradual spread that makes sense. If you beat a tier by only a dozen seconds or so by the end of a championship, you will most likely be in the bottom-mid group of the next tier. 

• Like 1