Bring Paul Coleman to lead Dirt Rally 2.0

Given the current situation where there has been much talk about season, "which is important to play", little has been said about competitive online multiplayer and league.
Basically there's been a lack of transparency, something that Paul Coleman brought to the franchise.
Bring him back to lead, and bring more transparency to the community!
Anyone please, do not forget to comment, because this is very important for the longevity of dirt rally 2.0, which for me has great potential but has been crawling lately.

• Disagree 6

Paul no longer works for Codemasters. It's not like he's just in another building, department or project. He's not with the company anymore. In fact, he's moved to another country for his next job.

Therefore, unless he would desire it himself, Codemasters cannot get him back.

As much as I like Paul, he's moved on and Codemasters keeps working well with the current team. Even if they could bring him back now, it would be too late to have a bearing on the plans that have surely been laid out for a while.

• Agree 3

28 minutes ago, warpengage said:

Paul no longer works for Codemasters. It's not like he's just in another building, department or project. He's not with the company anymore. In fact, he's moved to another country for his next job.

Therefore, unless he would desire it himself, Codemasters cannot get him back.

As much as I like Paul, he's moved on and Codemasters keeps working well with the current team. Even if they could bring him back now, it would be too late to have a bearing on the plans that have surely been laid out for a while.

Paul was also involved in DR2 until he left, I would say for the majority of the development even. 

DR was developed as an Early Access title as well, community engagement was a crucial part of that. DR4/DR2 was developed in a more 'conventional' approach. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

do you really think people can just come and go as if they're parts of a computer? and that consumers of a product are going to be successful in changing the staff of the producers of said product? humans' lives don't work like that, and neither does capitalism.

why does this thread exist.

Edited by ianism
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, warpengage said:

Codemasters keeps working well with the current team.

Is it a joke?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, RallyLover19 said:

Is it a joke?

No. Personally, I'm pleased with the game on all levels: visuals, gameplay and content. Questions I've asked have been answered. Bugs I've reported have been fixed. No reasons to complain.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 4

a) Paul was a bit more front facing, admittedly, but we're currently 'between' community managers so it's natural it's a little quiet at the moment.

b) DR2 is a better game than DR1 and is following a similar development path and trajectory - we know there are improvements to rain coming, we know there are clubs/leagues in testing at the moment, we know VR is being worked on for 'summer' (July/August?) and we know the content that will be added for the next 3 months - I'd love there to be a bit more of a transparent roadmap or bugs and I really want to see some comms about the lack of time of day options, but it's not like DR1 or D4 were clearer than this.

c) Paul works somewhere else now - don't forget he was also involved in D4 which wasn't a great success - I credit him with a lot of the direction of the Dirt Rally 'franchise', which restored my belief and interest in Codemasters, but DR2 feels to me like it's addressing a lot of concerns people had with the previous two games so give Ross and the team credit for this.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 5

40 minutes ago, warpengage said:

No. Personally, I'm pleased with the game on all levels: visuals, gameplay and content. Questions I've asked have been answered. Bugs I've reported have been fixed. No reasons to complain.

DR 2.0 is better than DR, but still many bugs exist which makes the game **** like audio-cut, endless repeating of your co-driver's call "to stop"  during onboard replays,  still can't see anything at darker scenes of stages even daylights, can't see anything in the rain at night hours because of your headlights, etc.

Sorry, but I can't say this team works well after 5 months of release still the same bugs exist in a 75 EUR game

• Agree 4
  • Disagree 1

One of the last words Paul said behalf of CM was a confirmation that D4 physics is somehow bad, and promise they will work on it. Then nothing happened. While I know not delivering the fix might been not his fault, it made his creditability to be lost. At least to me.

Saying that I'm sure, the quality of a product doesn't depend on single person. Probably there are strategic decisions involved. Maybe this is the reason why he decided to leave CM.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

One of the last words Paul said behalf of CM was a confirmation that D4 physics is somehow bad, and promise they will work on it. Then nothing happened. While I know not delivering the fix might been not his fault, it made his creditability to be lost. At least to me.

Saying that I'm sure, the quality of a product doesn't depend on single person. Probably there are strategic decisions involved. Maybe this is the reason why he decided to leave CM.

you're overthinking it lol

4 hours ago, RallyLover19 said:

DR 2.0 is better than DR, but still many bugs exist which makes the game ****

If the bugs in DR2 make the game "****", and DR2 is better than DR1, doesn't that necessarily mean DR1 was also "****"?

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, afahoy said:

If the bugs in DR2 make the game "****", and DR2 is better than DR1, doesn't that necessarily mean DR1 was also "****"?

You're right 😄 
CM games In general, by a little poem:

Gaming experience is better,
However more bugs than ever.

Edited by RallyLover19
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On 6/3/2019 at 12:20 PM, RallyLover19 said:

DR 2.0 is better than DR, but still many bugs exist which makes the game **** like audio-cut, endless repeating of your co-driver's call "to stop"  during onboard replays,  still can't see anything at darker scenes of stages even daylights, can't see anything in the rain at night hours because of your headlights, etc.

Sorry, but I can't say this team works well after 5 months of release still the same bugs exist in a 75 EUR game

We know there's a fix coming for the rain. I don't have many audio-cuts (once every three to four weeks), the co-driver's call "to stop" I haven't experienced myself. I can also see enough in the darker scenes. Keep in mind that if you go from sunshine into a dark shaded area your eyes have to adjust in reality. Once you enter a shaded area it is dark because your irises are really narrow. They need to relax and widen and that takes time. I think that the game wants to recreate that in some way but maybe went a bit too far.

It looks like you are unlucky with the amount of bugs you suffer from. I honestly don't experience any of the bugs you have.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

"if you go from sunshine into a dark shaded area your eyes have to adjust in reality. "  Yeah, but you can't recognise it, because it can be done by a 1/100 sec.
Only video cameras need time to adjust  - like tv coverages at Monte Carlo's tunnel, which leads people fail to think human eyes works the same
Check it out - the problem is still exist if you stop the car and stay at the dark, then you still can't see anything, no compensation of low lights

About sound issues: Select any of Sweden / Germany track, stay with onboard camera during replay and voila you'll get infinite "to stop" repetiition ...

Kiwiazbro - lol

45 minutes ago, RallyLover19 said:

"if you go from sunshine into a dark shaded area your eyes have to adjust in reality. "  Yeah, but you can't recognise it, because it can be done by a 1/100 sec.
Only video cameras need time to adjust  - like tv coverages at Monte Carlo's tunnel, which leads people fail to think human eyes works the same
Check it out - the problem is still exist if you stop the car and stay at the dark, then you still can't see anything, no compensation of low lights

About sound issues: Select any of Sweden / Germany track, stay with onboard camera during replay and voila you'll get infinite "to stop" repetiition ...

Kiwiazbro - lol

First of all, that adjustment made by the eyes is not done in a 1/100 of a second. Do the following test: make sure your room is completely dark. You won't see anything not even the shapes of objects in the room. Over time (one or several minutes) your eyes will adjust and you'll see more clearly in the dark.

Secondly, I drive the stages with the onboard camera (driver's view). Why would I want to watch the replays from the same perspective?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, SimVansevenant said:

First of all, that adjustment made by the eyes is not done in a 1/100 of a second. Do the following test: make sure your room is completely dark. You won't see anything not even the shapes of objects in the room. Over time (one or several minutes) your eyes will adjust and you'll see more clearly in the dark.

It's not really that simple. There are different levels of adjustment our eyes can make, one quick, one slow. Our irises are fast, and work the same as the aperture on a camera, but they have a limited range of adjustment. So, you can go from outdoors to indoors and still see fine, because the brightness level difference isn't that big. It's still big enough that you can't see both levels at the same time, though, and it's the kind of brightness difference we're talking about when going from sunny to shaded areas. The game generally does things properly when simulating this level of adaptation to darker areas, but in a few places it doesn't go far enough, so the really dark areas appear too dark, when they shouldn't.

Going from outside into a really dark room is a different matter, and then your eyes will need time to adapt, but almost nothing like this kind of brightness difference exists in DR2, so it's largely irrelevant. About the only time it'd be worth considering is if you lose your headlights at night – your eyes could indeed adapt to the darkness somewhat, given a few minutes (or maybe 20 seconds or so if we want to speed things up in the name of gameplay).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 6/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, SimVansevenant said:

Secondly, I drive the stages with the onboard camera (driver's view). Why would I want to watch the replays from the same perspective?

For example to record a video even for multiple cams