Sign in to follow this  

Underrated and Overrated drivers?

Underrated: Perez - I know he didn't have the best season last year, but McLaren didn't exactly have a car he could do anything with, and then dropped him without second thought. Either side of that he's been quick, matching and just edging Kobayashi at Sauber, including 3 podiums, including a great drive in the wet at Sepang, a race he could have won, and then this year, where he's giving Hulkenberg a good run, and taking a podium in Bahrain, holding off his team mate and the Red Bulls.

Lukedfrt said:
Kubica would have been world champion at some point if he hadn't had that crash. 
incredible talent, Alonso has said he was the best driver he'd raced with as well.

I think he would have as well shame he's not going to get that chance now :(

Lukedfrt said:
AMS97KRR said:
Overrated: Button - He is good, don't get me wrong, but honestly he is nothing too exceptional. Good in changing conditions and with managing tyres but lacks speed in quali. 

Underrated: Grosjean - some websites like WTF1 still talk about him crashing all the time, which is simply not true. He has had some good Quali performances this year and last year really challenged Kimi in the later half of the year.
I disagree with Button, i think he gets far too much criticism. The man matched Lewis Hamilton 3 years in a row, and i think he's beating Magnusson this year? On phone, too late to check this out haha
I agree Luke in Button's case quite often it's been the car hasn't lived up to his expectations at  times when with BAR and of course the year he won the championship with Brawn he did and on those occasions he performed extremely well. The only difference being I think is that he's moer sensitive to the feel of a bad car than other drivers are even the race in Canada when he came back from last place to win was incredible and well deserved

Buttons a good driver, no doubt. But those who think that he is better than Hamilton due to the fact he got more points in their time together are just wrong. Hamilton is clearly the best British driver on the grid.

AMS97KRR said:
Buttons a good driver, no doubt. But those who think that he is better than Hamilton due to the fact he got more points in their time together are just wrong. Hamilton is clearly the best British driver on the grid.
WRONG. #chilton4ever

AMS97KRR said:
I would say they're pretty equal actually I think Hamilton is better when it comes to qualifying as he is faster over a single lap but in terms of racing I think Button does have a slight edge in that he's more consistant over a race distance but that's what I think anyway

AMS97KRR said:
I would say they're pretty equal actually I think Hamilton is better when it comes to qualifying as he is faster over a single lap but in terms of racing I think Button does have a slight edge in that he's more consistant over a race distance but that's what I think anyway
Only when Button has a car that he likes the feel of. Honestly, when you give Jenson a car that he likes, he's pretty damn quick. If he doesn't like it, he can get quite lost.

Just a shame he's quite picky. 

There's no doubt in my mind that Button is as good as Hamilton in a good car, but Hamilton probably gets more out of a bad one, unless he's not in sync with himself. Button won over 3 years because Hamilton just wasn't right in the head in 2011. Don't detract that though, Button still outscored Hamilton...

even the race in Canada when he came back from last place to win was incredible
Trying as little as possible to sound bitter, I don't think incredible is quite the right word. Crashing in to two cars, speeding behind the safety car, being brought back in to the race by numerous safety cars and conditions that perfectly helped the Mclaren with its superior ability to heat it's tyres up that year all contributed to what was a messy drive. Canada 2011 is an overrated race, in general and in the career of Jenson Button. If you ask me. It's probably considered his greatest drive because of the drama at the end, but if you ask me both Hungary and Suzuka were more impressive wins for him that season.

VetteIfan said:
Trying as little as possible to sound bitter, I don't think incredible is quite the right word. Crashing in to two cars, speeding behind the safety car, being brought back in to the race by numerous safety cars and conditions that perfectly helped the Mclaren with its superior ability to heat it's tyres up that year all contributed to what was a messy drive. Canada 2011 is an overrated race, in general and in the career of Jenson Button. If you ask me. It's probably considered his greatest drive because of the drama at the end, but if you ask me both Hungary and Suzuka were more impressive wins for him that season.
Exactly what I say to everyone who says "how good" Canada 2011 was.

There's no doubt in my mind that Button is as good as Hamilton in a good car, but Hamilton probably gets more out of a bad one, unless he's not in sync with himself. Button won over 3 years because Hamilton just wasn't right in the head in 2011. Don't detract that though, Button still outscored Hamilton...
I agree I kind of think they are on an equal footing in terms of talent and I support both as I'm English myself  as I always support the sports stars from my country when watching sport so to me it doesn't matter to me which one wins I'll cheer whichever one does and am happy to see Hamilton on his little winning run at the moment take another win and I'd say he's on course for title number 2. It's early yet but if he does keep the momentum up in Monte Carlo I'd say it's almost his to lose based on previous years when drivers have done 5 on the bounce they've gone on to take the title.

VetteIfan said:
well I thought it was incredible anyway regardless of the circumstances because lucky or not you still have to pull it off and he did

VetteIfan said:
well I thought it was incredible anyway regardless of the circumstances because lucky or not you still have to pull it off and he did
What Vettelfan means is that the circumstances were incredible; the drive not quite so.

yugin96 said:
VetteIfan said:
What Vettelfan means is that the circumstances were incredible; the drive not quite so.
I knew what he meant I was just saying I thought it was incredible regardless

Overrated:

Jenson Button: By far the most overrated driver on the grid. Even more car dependant than the Vettel, as soon as something goes wrong, he drops off a cliff bigger than David Coulthard's chinstrap.

His qualifying abilities are absymal (has he already gotten that first McLaren-pole yet?), his race pace is slightly above average when it's not raining and his abilities in terms of saving fuels, tyres aren't as good as people think either. For years, we've heard that the rule changes should suit a driver like Button, yet he hasn't gotten close to a title for McLaren since joining. And Raikkönen, who isn't even known as the type to conserve, ended up doing Button's schtick better than Button himself in a worse car (for 2012 at least).

I also don't agree with this idea that Button matched Hamilton at McLaren. He didn't. Hamilton outclassed him at every department. Button only got the edge in 2011 when Hamilton was a complete mental mess. And Hamilton proved it was him beating himself up, not Button, by dominating again the following season when he got everything right on track. The low difference in points that season are explained by all the McLaren mishaps that fell for the most part on Hamilton. The difference on track was clear to see.

Button isn't horrible. He is still better than most people in the field. But he isn't in the same league as the elite drivers in F1: Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel. Probably the most awkward F1-champion of the last 30 years. If I were to describe him, it would be by saying he was like Fisichella or Alesi, only with a bit more luck.

Kimi: His quotes are awesome, but because of it, he gets rated higher than he should be. Losing speed rapidly, Grosjean surpassed him in 2012 as well.

Hulkenberg: This one is a hunch. I rate him highly, but I don't think he has proven himself fully. He needs that first podium to get that monkey off his back. He excelled at times, but hasn't really cashed in on one of those moments and until that happens, I remain a bit sceptical. Still, I want him desperately at Ferrari though.

How do you all rate Nelson Piquet? 

The reason i ask, is because whenever i have a conversation about the greatest drivers of all time he never get's a mention despite being a triple world champion. 

I've never looked into his career really, did he just have a totally dominant car for his titles? 

I'm not sure about him to be honest! He has never really had the same publicity as the likes of Prost, Senna and Mansell for example. I obviously never got to see him race, but I don't think any of his championships were really close fights? I know he had some good battles with Mansell at Williams in 1987 but I don't really know much else.

To be honest, when the best driver of all time debate comes up, the only names I hear are Senna, Schumacher, sometimes Clark or Fangio . I Never really hear Piquet (3) , Prost (4) , Lauda (3) , Brabham (3) or Stewart (3) despite each of them having atleast 3 Titles. 

I also don't like the negativity Prost seems to get because of his rivalry with Senna. It always seems like people think he is "the bad guy" or something like that. 

I might be wrong but for Piquet it might be a combination of two things. Firstly his titles at Brabham were in years where the guys in equal machinery weren't of a great standard. The one great driver around and competitive for '81 and '83 was Prost but that was in a Renault which liked to blow up a lot! His '87 title was a good one looking at the stats, strong team mate in Mansell and Prost and Senna in at least decent cars. 

The second point for me as to why he might not be considered in that top division of greats is that he seemed like quite a combative chap and quite off-the-cuff with his remarks, and not in the chilled, relaxed, doesn't give a monkeys way Kimi comes out with things nowadays. He seemed like quite an angry guy which I imagine wouldn't have warmed him to many, definitely not the British media who will have been in Camp Mansell. I mean he's not loved that much by his own countrymen for starters. He just seems quite arrogant to me when I watch 80's footage back, similarly his son's turned out the same way just without the success.

Agreed about the arrogance Andrew. They both always seemed to think far too much of themselves and it's never endeared me to either of them.

@AMS97KRR I like Prost :) The way he's always calm, never gets into a flap and won by going slowly is my kind of driver :p