F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Underrated and Overrated drivers?

AMS97KRR said:
I don't think Senna would have won because in 1994 he was already 2 race wins behind in an inferior car, I'd say he wouldn't have won, but who knows?
In 1995, Schumacher would have still won IMO, his car was better. By this stage, Senna is what, 36? IF he was still in F1 by this stage, he would probably be at Ferrari for 1996 as he wanted to end his career there and he clearly would not have won then. In 1997 he would be 37/38 and who knows if he would have been any good at that age?

I just don't think, given his age and his car, he would have won another one. 

And going by what you said, why is Senna considered better then? Prost should have had 5 titles, and Senna just 2 judging by that.

Sorry for nitpicking, but the '95 Benetton was regarded as clearly inferior to the '95 Williams and it was Hill's mistakes on the one hand and Michaels consistency on the other hand which secured him the WDC that year.

I also doubt we would have seen Senna win more WDC's, but certainly not because of the machinery he had. After all, he was quite good at winning championships in dominant cars.

I also think Schumacher probably would have won 95 regardless as he was really in his stride then that's why I mentioned above that in reality it was likely that even without his accident at Imola 1994 was probably going to be his last real shot at a title I'm not saying he couldn't have won again but in my opinion it would have been unlikely

AMS97KRR said:
To be honest, when the best driver of all time debate comes up, the only names I hear are Senna, Schumacher, sometimes Clark or Fangio . I Never really hear Piquet (3) , Prost (4) , Lauda (3) , Brabham (3) or Stewart (3) despite each of them having atleast 3 Titles. 

I also don't like the negativity Prost seems to get because of his rivalry with Senna. It always seems like people think he is "the bad guy" or something like that. 

You forgot about Gilles Villenueve. Oh , and the fact that Clark is mentioned with 0 titles but people like Lauda or Stewart with 3 aren't proves how much a WDC is much imo. Sure , it's good to win and that's the aim , but it doesn't necessarily show that you're the best.

AMS97KRR said:
To be honest, when the best driver of all time debate comes up, the only names I hear are Senna, Schumacher, sometimes Clark or Fangio . I Never really hear Piquet (3) , Prost (4) , Lauda (3) , Brabham (3) or Stewart (3) despite each of them having atleast 3 Titles. 

I also don't like the negativity Prost seems to get because of his rivalry with Senna. It always seems like people think he is "the bad guy" or something like that. 

You forgot about Gilles Villenueve. Oh , and the fact that Clark is mentioned with 0 titles but people like Lauda or Stewart with 3 aren't proves how much a WDC is much imo. Sure , it's good to win and that's the aim , but it doesn't necessarily show that you're the best.
Clark with 0 titles? lol

I totally understand what you are saying though, championships are not everything, but like I said, in my opinion, 7 titles is too many to overlook.

AMS97KRR said:

AMS97KRR said:

Clark with 0 titles? lol

I totally understand what you are saying though, championships are not everything, but like I said, in my opinion, 7 titles is too many to overlook.
I meant to say Moss. ( I always get confused with Moss and Clarke for some reason )

i dunno. Schumi is my favorite driver and the best of all time imo , but there is still a very strong point to say that the likes of Senna , Fangio and Clarke are better.

Schumacher's Benetton seemed to be a  stronger package in 95. Look at Spa for example, if he opted to pit for wets when Hill came in he would have increased his lead over the field but even with that mistake he managed to win by 19 secs over Hill and lap all but Lamy in the Minardi who finished 10th.

It's not worth debating, they were all from different eras, different cars, different everything. When it comes to classing drivers purely on their statistics, don't because statistics lie. Jochen Rindt only won 1 championship, but he barely had a chance to fill his potential and was utterly dominant when he died, so would you class him as below Jackie Stewart as a driver?

Underrated: Nico Hülkenberg
Overrated: Nico Rosberg, Valtteri Bottas, Pastor Maldonado

Schumacher's Benetton seemed to be a  stronger package in 95. Look at Spa for example, if he opted to pit for wets when Hill came in he would have increased his lead over the field but even with that mistake he managed to win by 19 secs over Hill and lap all but Lamy in the Minardi who finished 10th.
Come on, Schumi + Spa + rain, that was always going to work in his favour.

12 Poles for Williams compared to 4 Poles for Benetton gives you an idea of which car was on top in terms of sheer pace. And the Williams wasn't shabby in the races either.

Who on earth rates Maldonado highly? :L

Lukedfrt said:
Who on earth rates Maldonado highly? :L
I ndeed the only cars I think he could drive well is a bumper cars and that's only because they're designed for crashing :p

He'd be amazing in Nascar.
he probably would actually surprised the people who sponsor him haven't tried to get him into that sport I coiuld see him going that way eventually though the sooner the better if you ask me. :p

Thing is with Maldonado is, he can be extremely quick. Just look at Spain 2012, a flawless weekend for him. Incredibly quick, he held off Fernando for the race, a really well deserved win, and also Singapore qualifying for P2 on the grid I think. Where did that come from! Amazing speed. But then he can go an balls it up and crash all the time. Really odd.

mike96 said:
He's a modern Montoya, don't you think? :P
wouldn't say Montoya as I think Montoya was a bit moer patient whereas Maldonado is a bit all over the place al,most as if he's forgotten where the brake pedal is

Plus Montoya was actually likeable :p
yeah that too he was a half decent driver I though t maybe not quite championship winning but a decent driver that ended up being unlucky at times

Both South American, but Montoya was chubbier than Maldonado is.

Overrated: Bruno Senna (all of the short-lived hype around him was only down to his second name, Pastor might have been less consistent in 2012 but it takes two blind eyes to ignore the fact that Bruno was simply not even on par with his teammate back then. Lost 18-2 to Pastor in qualifying, nuff said about sheer pace. Those who say he was underrated, ask yourself this one question: Would you have ever given a damn about that guy if he wasn't in any way related to Senna? No? There you go. Even Vitantonio Liuzzi has impressed me way more than Senna. Ow, you forgot who Liuzzi was? There you go again.

Underrated: Sebastian Vettel. Let's be honest: Most experts and fans have named Alonso as being the best driver around in the last couple of years, no matter how well Seb was doing. Some people still believe he's bad at overtaking which imo is far from truth as we've seen a couple of times already. Surely, if you've got the car to dominate from the front then overtaking is pretty much impossible, but whenever he needed to get past someone, he made it stick. Plus his consistency and tyre management, at least before 2014, has been exceptionally good too.
Ask me again at the end of 2014 and I might change my mind about him being underrated, but only if he continues with this poor form. And quite frankly, as much as I would love to see Daniel outclass him, it's simply not gonna happen. Seb's one class higher than Dan imo.
Can you coment now about your opinion on Sebastian Vettel and Daniel Ricciardo? Vettel was destroyed...