F1 2018 crashing on Win 10 1903

Question

I've put 250+ hours into F1 2018 on the same PC so I can say with certainty that the game has been fine for those hours.

But after updating to Windows 10 version 1903, the game is quite literally unplayable now.  I'm on a top end PC, 8700K with a 2080Ti and 32GB RAM.  Latest drivers across the board, PC is tip top.

In career mode, it lets me set up a session i.e. Practice 3 and start qualifying sim or race strat, it puts me in the car, I maybe get 1 or 2 laps done and then boom the game just closes to the desktop with no error messages or anything, hard fast exit.  It also has previously completely locked up my PC (complete freeze, no response, clock stops, sound is jammed, needs hard powered off).  This hard exit is guaranteed every play session making the game unplayable.  

I've monitored temps, everything is fine, I've repaired the game files, unplugged other devices in the PC, but the problem persists.  

I'm assuming it's due to 1903 as nothing else has changed between it working fine and now being completely broken.  Any Codemasters reps that can offer any advice here please?

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Have you done an integrity file check in Steam? 

Is the F1 2018 program files on the same drive as your OS? Could be possible that the Windows Upgrade messed with the game files.

Edited by djrabes

Yea I've repaired the game files/integrity check twice, I've went through CHKDSK & SFC on all my drives and Windows Memory Check, today I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game from one SSD to another and it's bombed out a further 5 times.  I've just finished a 15 lap race literally just now, got through the entire race, it went to the podium cinematic and crashed out at that point which has probably lost the entire race, again.  I'm just gonna throw the towel in at this point tbh, I put an hour into pCars2 earlier today without any issue but F12018 is just too unstable.

I restored the previous version of windows 10 1809 and everything is working fine again

Posted (edited)

Same problem here...F1 2018 crashes, F1 2017 runs properly, even other games like GTAV. Fix needed CM!

EDIT: Tried F1 2018 DX12 beta - runs even properly, so it´s up to you CM!

Edited by MistaNULLSkillZ
Update F1 2018 DX12 beta

Still no fix for crashing when enter career mode...

I will purchase F1 2019 when it is in virtual bargain table, then I can be sure that it is running properly.

Codemaster is no longer interested in F1 2018, we are now forgotten. On principle I don't buy F1 2019 because you don't behave so with a purchase made even a year ago just because they make the new version every year, which I've always bought.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, TFIYoutube said:

I've put 250+ hours into F1 2018 on the same PC so I can say with certainty that the game has been fine for those hours.

But after updating to Windows 10 version 1903, the game is quite literally unplayable now.  I'm on a top end PC, 8700K with a 2080Ti and 32GB RAM.  Latest drivers across the board, PC is tip top.

In career mode, it lets me set up a session i.e. Practice 3 and start qualifying sim or race strat, it puts me in the car, I maybe get 1 or 2 laps done and then boom the game just closes to the desktop with no error messages or anything, hard fast exit.  It also has previously completely locked up my PC (complete freeze, no response, clock stops, sound is jammed, needs hard powered off).  This hard exit is guaranteed every play session making the game unplayable.  

I've monitored temps, everything is fine, I've repaired the game files, unplugged other devices in the PC, but the problem persists.  

I'm assuming it's due to 1903 as nothing else has changed between it working fine and now being completely broken.  Any Codemasters reps that can offer any advice here please?

Cheers

I am on the latest update on Windows and it runs fine on my end. However, that doesn't mitigate your issues at all. The game has some random issues, e.g. when I had to RMA my RAM, I ran on 8GB temporarily and then the game kept crashing on track load. Upped my page file to 8GB as well, and all was hunky dory again.

But random crashes are even harder to pinpoint. Did ANYthing(besides Windows updates) change between the last time it worked and the first time it crashed? Hardware? Changed game install location? Edited hardwaresettingsconfig.xml? Changed Windows UAC settings? Any little clue that would point in the right direction.

• Agree 1

I wouldn't say that you should mess with the page file. Let Windows manage it unless you have a proven reason for doing otherwise.

Posted (edited)

My system:

I7 2600K overclocked to 4.5 GHz
16 GB RAM/Page file 1024 MB
GTX 1070
Crucial SSDs

Nothing changed than Windows Update 1903, no new graphics driver.
Game is crashing when entering career mode. online or some other championship, time trial, Grand Prix etc. working fine.

Seems to be an issue with saved games perhaps.

I spent 350 hours with the game before.

18 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

I wouldn't say that you should mess with the page file. Let Windows manage it unless you have a proven reason for doing otherwise.

Like the one I just mentioned. Another good reason is that your hard drive's free space doesn't vary all the time, which is good if you're low on disk space, or just plainly to save space especially if you have enough RAM.

When it comes to computers, you always want to control as many variables as you can.

15 hours ago, MistaNULLSkillZ said:

My system:

I7 2600K overclocked to 4.5 GHz
16 GB RAM/Page file 1024 MB
GTX 1070
Crucial SSDs

Nothing changed than Windows Update 1903, no new graphics driver.
Game is crashing when entering career mode. online or some other championship, time trial, Grand Prix etc. working fine.

Seems to be an issue with saved games perhaps.

I spent 350 hours with the game before.

Mmmmm... could be cloud saves. Have you got this enabled?

Just now, Ho3n3r said:

Like the one I just mentioned. Another good reason is that your hard drive's free space doesn't vary all the time, which is good if you're low on disk space, or just plainly to save space especially if you have enough RAM.

When it comes to computers, you always want to control as many variables as you can.

To save space when it is at a premium is the only real valid reason. You should not disable the page file, even if you have enough RAM. It's generally detrimental to performance.

28 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

To save space when it is at a premium is the only real valid reason. You should not disable the page file, even if you have enough RAM. It's generally detrimental to performance.

Nobody said disable. You only need to set it to 1GB for the crash dumps to save.

And it's not the only reason, those were just examples. Another example being keeping the disk writes on your SSD to a minimum, which increases lifespan.

2 minutes ago, Ho3n3r said:

Nobody said disable. You only need to set it to 1GB for the crash dumps to save.

And it's not the only reason, those were just examples. Another example being keeping the disk writes on your SSD to a minimum, which increases lifespan.

Only reason you get short SSD life is if it's too small.

2 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Only reason you get short SSD life is if it's too small.

Yep.

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2019 at 8:59 AM, Ho3n3r said:

I am on the latest update on Windows and it runs fine on my end. However, that doesn't mitigate your issues at all. The game has some random issues, e.g. when I had to RMA my RAM, I ran on 8GB temporarily and then the game kept crashing on track load. Upped my page file to 8GB as well, and all was hunky dory again.

But random crashes are even harder to pinpoint. Did ANYthing(besides Windows updates) change between the last time it worked and the first time it crashed? Hardware? Changed game install location? Edited hardwaresettingsconfig.xml? Changed Windows UAC settings? Any little clue that would point in the right direction.

There is a known issue with 430.86 and Steam, also MSI Afterburner.

There will be a new Game Ready driver release this week.

Another problem I know of is crashes when using the DX12 mode and the Steam overlay. If you are using it in DX12 mode, try turning off the Steam overlay.

Posted (edited)

- Extended pagefile size from 1 to 8 GB -> problem persists (pagefile is located on different SSD, not where the game is installed).
- Free SSD space >27 GB from 119 GB
- Deactivated Steam cloud saving -> problem persists
- Deactived Steam overlay -> problem persists
- Closed MSI Afterburner -> problem persists
- Downgraded graphic card driver to 430.64 -> problem persists

Again, Grand Prix mode and time trial is working properly, if I want to continue career game immediately quits to desktop, same at championships and online mode.

EDIT: F1 2017 works fine, also other games like GTAV.

Posted (edited)

- Today I gave the latest NV hotfix beta graphics driver a try (431.18) -> problem persists.

Yesterday I reinstalled windows 10 ver 1903, and since windows recognizes all the devices, I left all the default drivers that windows automatically installs, and the version of the nvidia drivers that installs windows is 419.67. After more than two hours of play, I had no problem. I will do other tests. Ah I disabled but the Steam overlay

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Frumens76 said:

Yesterday I reinstalled windows 10 ver 1903, and since windows recognizes all the devices, I left all the default drivers that windows automatically installs, and the version of the nvidia drivers that installs windows is 419.67. After more than two hours of play, I had no problem. I will do other tests. Ah I disabled but the Steam overlay

Sorry, you re-installed Windows because of a single buggy game?

As I mentioned above, F1 2017 and GTAV are working fine. Yesterday I installed just for fun F1 2013 and everything went well.
Codemasters should fix their buggy F1 2018!

And when I read all the topics herein, I see that they released F1 2019 as beta for full price.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MistaNULLSkillZ said:

Sorry, you re-installed Windows because of a single buggy game?

As I mentioned above, F1 2017 and GTAV are working fine. Yesterday I installed just for fun F1 2013 and everything went well.
Codemasters should fix there buggy F1 2018!

And when I read all the topics herein, I see that they released F1 2019 as beta for full price.

@Frumens76 has fixed the game with 419.67, it's 430.86 that has the Steam overlay issue (according to CM). If you read the Nvidia forums, the 43x.xx branch is causing a lot of negative feedback. And to be fair to @MistaNULLSkillZ, 431.18 is a Hotfix driver (Hotfix means "fixes a specific issue", i.e. if your specific issue / setup was NOT caused / affected by the latest release then it's of no use to you) F1 2019 isn't officially supported yet with a GameReady release.

Just be wary of switching between Standard / DCH drivers too. Not sure if the clean install will offer 419.67 DCH or Standard, you can check (or basically you can load the store app, thereby having no NVCpl).

Windows Update DOES offer DCH drivers for supported Intel GPUs. I reinstalled 1903 ahead of the release of F1 2019 and WU installed an old 2017 driver for my RX580 (non DCH, I believe DCH support was first in 18.2.2) Also this is happening with Realtek UAD drivers too (new driver model), the standard HDA driver is deprecated.

So, driver downloads are worth deleting. Use the latest driver, update when available, check it works then only revert 1 step if you have a specific issue.

Edited by steviejay69